"A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Boromir
Posts: 447
Joined: Apr 30, 2015 19:28
Location: Texas,U.S., Earth,Solar System
Contact:

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

Postby Boromir » Feb 10, 2019 15:29

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:It crashed when I tried to connect. :(

Try the x86 version, and make sure it's not in the downloads folder. Sometimes networking gets blocked if it's in there.
If that doesn't work you might have to compile from source.
Lachie Dazdarian
Posts: 2338
Joined: May 31, 2005 9:59
Location: Croatia
Contact:

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Feb 10, 2019 15:33

Will, try, can't we talk in a chat somewhere. Are you on Facebook?
Boromir
Posts: 447
Joined: Apr 30, 2015 19:28
Location: Texas,U.S., Earth,Solar System
Contact:

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

Postby Boromir » Feb 10, 2019 15:34

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Will, try, can't we talk in a chat somewhere. Are you on Facebook?

No facebook but I've skype.
Lachie Dazdarian
Posts: 2338
Joined: May 31, 2005 9:59
Location: Croatia
Contact:

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Feb 10, 2019 16:36

Boromir, I've lost one game by you, but then had 3 consecutive crashes trying to connect to your server again. Don't know what's going on there. Ran both x86 and x64 versions as administrator, x64 always failed, x86 connected ONCE. I have Windows 8.1. Don't know what's going on there.

I do think it's an error on your part to omit at least some short single player mode to at least teach the player the gameplay and accustom him to the controls. I hate struggling with game mechanics and controls against a real opponent.

This in combination with lacking documentation, really hampers the enjoyability of your game.
Boromir
Posts: 447
Joined: Apr 30, 2015 19:28
Location: Texas,U.S., Earth,Solar System
Contact:

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

Postby Boromir » Feb 10, 2019 16:41

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Boromir, I've lost one game by you, but then had 3 consecutive crashes trying to connect to your server again. Don't know what's going on there. Ran both x86 and x64 versions as administrator, x64 always failed, x86 connected ONCE. I have Windows 8.1. Don't know what's going on there.

I do think it's an error on your part to omit at least some short single player mode to at least teach the player the gameplay and accustom him to the controls. I hate struggling with game mechanics and controls against a real opponent.

This in combination with lacking documentation, really hampers the enjoyability of your game.

After the game ended the server closed. That's why you couldn't connect. I would recommend playing against the ai to practice as well as taking a look at the keyboard setup in the options menu. I'll be working on the documentation.
Lachie Dazdarian
Posts: 2338
Joined: May 31, 2005 9:59
Location: Croatia
Contact:

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Feb 10, 2019 16:41

The game crashed again as we talked in the game chat.
Lachie Dazdarian
Posts: 2338
Joined: May 31, 2005 9:59
Location: Croatia
Contact:

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Feb 10, 2019 16:43

Boromir wrote:
Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Boromir, I've lost one game by you, but then had 3 consecutive crashes trying to connect to your server again. Don't know what's going on there. Ran both x86 and x64 versions as administrator, x64 always failed, x86 connected ONCE. I have Windows 8.1. Don't know what's going on there.

I do think it's an error on your part to omit at least some short single player mode to at least teach the player the gameplay and accustom him to the controls. I hate struggling with game mechanics and controls against a real opponent.

This in combination with lacking documentation, really hampers the enjoyability of your game.

After the game ended the server closed. That's why you couldn't connect. I would recommend playing against the ai to practice as well as taking a look at the keyboard setup in the options menu. I'll be working on the documentation.


A server down shouldn't crash the game.

Also, clicking localhost keeps crashing my game EVERY time.
Boromir
Posts: 447
Joined: Apr 30, 2015 19:28
Location: Texas,U.S., Earth,Solar System
Contact:

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

Postby Boromir » Feb 10, 2019 16:46

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:A server down shouldn't crash the game.

Also, clicking localhost keeps crashing my game EVERY time.

Localhost still needs a server. Run the game twice. Start one as a server and then connect to localhost with the other one.
This is my first network game so some network things aren't perfectly smoothed out.
Lachie Dazdarian
Posts: 2338
Joined: May 31, 2005 9:59
Location: Croatia
Contact:

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Feb 10, 2019 17:00

Boromir wrote:
Lachie Dazdarian wrote:A server down shouldn't crash the game.

Also, clicking localhost keeps crashing my game EVERY time.

Localhost still needs a server. Run the game twice. Start one as a server and then connect to localhost with the other one.
This is my first network game so some network things aren't perfectly smoothed out.


Rather clunky, but that actually worked! Thanks.
maachal
Posts: 32
Joined: Jul 21, 2017 21:11
Location: czech

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

Postby maachal » Feb 10, 2019 17:02

http://www.hsgi.cz/dokumenty/sctank-zip/
The new version adds sound effects to the GUI. ;-)
Please test, thank you very much.
Boromir
Posts: 447
Joined: Apr 30, 2015 19:28
Location: Texas,U.S., Earth,Solar System
Contact:

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

Postby Boromir » Feb 10, 2019 17:19

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Rather clunky, but that actually worked! Thanks.

I'll get started on the game guide and try to document the known bugs or quirky features. The game is pretty hard to learn if you're not an avid RTS player but I believe you'll figure it out and enjoy it. I don't want the learning curve to be too steep so I hope the game guide will help. The ai is somewhat limited in its intelligence because they were somewhat squeezed into the deadline but it should help learn the basics. The amount of active players of my game will probably be too few (if any) for a dedicated online server but the multiplayer mode is the most fun. I'd be willing to play you again when you feel you've got a chance against me. :)
Lachie Dazdarian
Posts: 2338
Joined: May 31, 2005 9:59
Location: Croatia
Contact:

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Feb 10, 2019 17:38

Boromir wrote:
Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Rather clunky, but that actually worked! Thanks.

I'll get started on the game guide and try to document the known bugs or quirky features. The game is pretty hard to learn if you're not an avid RTS player but I believe you'll figure it out and enjoy it. I don't want the learning curve to be too steep so I hope the game guide will help. The ai is somewhat limited in its intelligence because they were somewhat squeezed into the deadline but it should help learn the basics. The amount of active players of my game will probably be too few (if any) for a dedicated online server but the multiplayer mode is the most fun. I'd be willing to play you again when you feel you've got a chance against me. :)


Yes, of course. Hopefully we can make it next weekend, as part of my official review playthrough. Until then, I hope to have a better grasp of the game.
maachal
Posts: 32
Joined: Jul 21, 2017 21:11
Location: czech

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

Postby maachal » Feb 10, 2019 17:39

http://www.hsgi.cz/dokumenty/sctank-zip/
The new version adds credit (C) FBsound 1.1 dynamic by D.J.Peters. ;-)
Please test, thank you very much.
Tourist Trap
Posts: 2768
Joined: Jun 02, 2015 16:24

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

Postby Tourist Trap » Feb 10, 2019 17:44

maachal wrote:http://www.hsgi.cz/dokumenty/sctank-zip/
The new version adds sound effects to the GUI. ;-)
Please test, thank you very much.

I like the concept and style, the sounds really add to it, but there is one disturbance. I don't know if I am moving at all. Could it be possible to add something like coordinates of the point or anything to give this information to the player? This is really the only thing missing I think.

Return to “Community Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest