"A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Lachie Dazdarian

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Jan 2019), 350 $ 1st prize

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

D.J.Peters wrote:
Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Gameplay (15 points max): In this category I will evaluate how much the game is fun and challenging to play.
"challenging to play"
Does it mean a complex game where you have to learn how to play it, gets lesser points ?

Joshy
Not really. I just meant that gameplay mechanics and rules, irrelevant how long it takes you to learn them, will hold little value (to me, as a player) if you don't design levels or put them in an enviroment where experiencing these machanics and rules is challenging to master. In other words, if the player has to be actually suicidal to lose the game, you won't be substantially awarded for your gameplay idea, no matter how clever it is.

Anyway, I think my scoring rules are quite straightforwad, and I had little complaints to my ruling during the past competions. Those were mostly related to me penalizing incomplete entries, or those that were too easy to play (unchallenging). So if you don't want to irk my specific taste, a hint is to take care of these two things. For the first thing, rememebr that you can always wrap something "incomplete" into a coherent package, if you are smart about it.

Just a side note that the big donor does not wish to participate in the scoring, so at the moment, voting still remains "shared" between me, anonymous1337 and Pete Berg, if they will commit when the time comes. I other words, my "taste" will still have a lot of influence to determine the final results. But if you know anything about my game reviewing past, you are aware that I take extra effort to be fair and "objective". It the past there were cases where entries that I liked the most, ended up being on the second place and similar, once I've ran them through my scoring categories.

Anyway, I am considering to extend the deadline for about 2 weeks, because I see a lot of late participants, and some people that didn't manage to start yet, but still want to submit something (in private convos). Also, the prize pool increase came a bit late in the competition, and it changes a lot, for the prestige of winning. Of course, anyone who started early and counted on the deadline as it is, has a right to put in a veto. I'm just probing the community on the idea. But if nobody has a problem with it, I will probably extend the deadline in a week or so, just to give some breathing space to people to complete their more elaborate work, and new participants to at least complete something of smaller scale.

I'm interested in your opinion.
D.J.Peters

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Jan 2019), 350 $ 1st prize

Post by D.J.Peters »

First of all thank you for the detailed reply.
Lachie Dazdarian wrote:I am considering to extend the deadline for about 2 weeks ...
This would be cool.
Some of us have a full time job or are a freelancer like me.
In the IT busyness most customers looks at the end of the year how many money left in the pool for IT spending.
Often if the pool for spending are not empty the pool will be reduced for the next year.
(Of course not only in the IT busyness)
How ever this is why the end of the year is the hottest time for me as freelancers and I work 10-14 hours per day.
Otherwise in the summertime I'm not very busy and spend my free time in the garden with a cool drink. :-)

Joshy
Lachie Dazdarian

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 800 $ 1st prize

Due to huge prize pool increase and popular demand, I'm extending the deadline to 4th of February 2019. This is the ONLY and FINAL extension. Bear that in mind and good luck.
Boromir

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 800 $ 1st prize

Post by Boromir »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:... I'm extending the deadline to 4th of February 2019...
Thanks! I started working on a RTS game and got a little over ambitious. This should definitely help me get further with it.
Lachie Dazdarian

Lol, another donor, another prize increase. The prize pool is 2400 USD now, first prize being 1000 USD.

1st place - 1000 USD
2nd place - 700 USD
3rd place - 400 USD
4th place - 200 USD
5th place - 100 USD

The current sponsors:
anonymous1337 - 200 USD
Leopardpm - 100 USD
Pete Berg - 100 USD
Lachie Dazdarian - 250 USD
Anonymous 1 - 1250 USD
Anonymous 2 - 500 USD
D.J.Peters

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

Post by D.J.Peters »

Good to know I need money to upgrade my "hobby" budget (joke)
I build a CNC router in 2019 of course controlled via FreeBASIC and USB. (not a joke)

Joshy
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Lol, another donor, another prize increase. The prize pool is 2400 USD now, first prize being 1000 USD.
Wow, that's great! Any chance that the 'theme' would be removed? Since this is the 'ultimate' (so far ;D) FB Game Dev competition, it would be very interesting to make it a 'no holds barred' competition. And more people could compete as well, since it seems that having to make it 'FB themed' is a major burden for some...
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

paul doe wrote:Any chance that the 'theme' would be removed?
You can't change the track while the race are running !

The start of the Competition was "Sun Oct 07, 2018" !

By the way I self start at Friday Dec 28, 2018.

Joshy
Lachie Dazdarian

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize

The theme won't change/be removed. It's well elaborated why that theme, and besides that, it's definitely not an option in this late stage of the competition to just get rid of the reason why it was organized in the first place.
badidea

Post by badidea »

I think sticking to the theme should give additional points. Else, what happens if an awesome game is submitted, but no link to theme? Will it be rejected?

But changing things too much now would be unfair to those who spent 2 months drawing horses :-)
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

badidea wrote:....to those who spent 2 months drawing horses :-)
I am expecting to see some VERY fine horses from you, Sir!
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:The theme won't change/be removed. It's well elaborated why that theme, and besides that, it's definitely not an option in this late stage of the competition to just get rid of the reason why it was organized in the first place.
Yes, I understand. Fair enough, then. I'll see if I can elaborate something within the time frame that's left. Thank you.
badidea

Post by badidea »

leopardpm wrote:
badidea wrote:....to those who spent 2 months drawing horses :-)
I am expecting to see some VERY fine horses from you, Sir!
Don't expect too much. Struggling with motivation (despite the large prize money). I have a large piece of code I don't like. Changing it is a lot of work, continuing with will be messy. The temptation of closing the editor and watch a movie is large.
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

badidea wrote:The temptation of closing the editor and watch a movie is large.
its christmas... don't stress yourself ouy. Plus, takinga step away from a problem can sometimes help in figuring out a different solution...