titles for posters?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Josep Roca

Re: titles for posters?

Post by Josep Roca »

My impression is that BasicCoder2 would like that Free Basic would be a very basic Basic compiler (ie. toothless) that did not allow to write complex (aka "unreadable") code. This way, he will be able to understand all the code posted. The problem is that such a compiler won't attract any skilled programmer.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

@deltarho[1859]
It would have been inappropriate to do an unsolicited psychological profile on another poster. However my book case has a whole row on books collected over the years on psychology and brain science so I am not adverse to a private analysis in the name of self knowledge. At the moment I am reading "What it's like to be a dog" written by the neuroscientist Gregory Berns.
paul doe wrote:
I wasn't familiar with the Jung Personality Test, so when you suggested it in another thread, I took it; it just so happens that I'm also an INTP, so it's no wonder we frequently share the same perspectives on certain topics =D
I am also an INTP. My wife did the test on me after doing it at her work place and agreed with the result. I just took the online test with the same result.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

paul doe wrote:it just so happens that I'm also an INTP
I am no expert but I just might have been able to guess that.
The INTP personality type is fairly rare, making up only three percent of the population, which is definitely a good thing for them, as there's nothing they'd be more unhappy about than being "common".
I hate to say this but that is probably true. <smile>

Some famous INTPs: Albert Einstein, Carl Jung (the man himself), Abraham Lincoln, René Descartes, Charles Darwin, Blaise Pascal. Female INTPs really are rare of which we have Meryl Streep and Sigourney Weaver to name two.

70% of Fortune 500 companies use the MBTI. MBTI is Myers-Briggs Type Indicator which is an extension of Jung's Typology. Myers is Briggs' daughter.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

BasicCoder2 wrote:It would have been inappropriate to do an unsolicited psychological profile on another poster.
It would.
I am also an INTP.
I definitely would not have guessed that. Welcome to the club.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

Josep Roca wrote:My impression is that BasicCoder2 would like that Free Basic would be a very basic Basic compiler (ie. toothless) that did not allow to write complex (aka "unreadable") code. This way, he will be able to understand all the code posted. The problem is that such a compiler won't attract any skilled programmer.
Well you have the wrong impression.
I sometimes make use of code written by advanced programmers who have used the more advanced techniques even if I am unable to follow it myself. Indeed some of my code has depended on it. If I hadn't been provided with escapi.bi I would still be using C.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15837&hilit
With hindsight maybe I should have stuck with C and spent time learning more advanced C++ programming but I was swayed by the easy to use FreeBASIC and its graphics library which meant I could get on with my project at the time instead of learning how to do it myself with C++.
dafhi

Post by dafhi »

INTP initally, way more extroverted now.

Sounds like a fun book BC.

Im trying to get my feet wet in c but just trying to plot a **** **** pixel is like pulling teeth
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

@dafhi,
Its been over 6 months since I last used C with the SDL2 library. I used the code::blocks IDE.
For drawing pixels,
http://gigi.nullneuron.net/gigilabs/sdl2-pixel-drawing/
Last edited by BasicCoder2 on Aug 18, 2018 19:21, edited 1 time in total.
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

Josep Roca wrote:My impression is that BasicCoder2 would like that Free Basic would be a very basic Basic compiler (ie. toothless) that did not allow to write complex (aka "unreadable") code. This way, he will be able to understand all the code posted. The problem is that such a compiler won't attract any skilled programmer.
Dear José,
I admire what you have done for the World of programming, but this needs to be contested: Neither do I believe that BasicCoder2 is too dumb to see the "beauty of artwork" as produced here with FreeBasic, nor do I believe that a compiler that sticks to the principles of Basic has to be "toothless". There are BASIC compilers that beat C speed-wise, and I do not think that any real World task cannot be done with FreeBasic because it would be "toothless".

Can we find a compromise between speed, elegant BASIC syntax, and feature availability that does not end up in that absurdly ugly mess called C++? I think we can.

Now you can put me into a psychological category if you wish to do so.
dafhi

Post by dafhi »

I finally got something. getting sdl to work

discovered i needed to "attach" a source file into the actual project.
yay.

path tracing and neural networks. it's been somewhat of a meandering bee-line journey
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

dafhi wrote:I finally got something. getting sdl to work
Yes that was my initial source. I went through all this last December to get it to work but haven't been back since.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26212&hilit
path tracing and neural networks. it's been somewhat of a meandering bee-line journey
FreeBasic or C?
Last edited by BasicCoder2 on Aug 18, 2018 19:21, edited 1 time in total.
grindstone

Post by grindstone »

I most definitely do not agree with the assertion of freeBasic to be "toothless"!

Back to the topic: In my personal opinion the signup date and the number of posts provides enough information to get an idea of a member's skills. In addition to that I dare to say that all active menmbers here actually know what to think about each other. <smile>
dafhi

Post by dafhi »

BasicCoder2 wrote:
FreeBasic or C?
All of the above. Also thinking about JS and Python.
Josep Roca

Post by Josep Roca »

> I most definitely do not agree with the assertion of freeBasic to be "toothless"!

Where I have made this assertion? I said that "My impression is that BasicCoder2 would like that Free Basic would be a very basic Basic compiler (ie. toothless)". If it was a toothless compiler I won't be using it.

If I got a wrong impression, I apologize, but it is not based only in this thread, but also in threads like this one: "BASIC was meant to be easy to learn, read and understand": viewtopic.php?f=17&t=25269
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

grindstone wrote
In addition to that I dare to say that all active members here actually know what to think about each other.
Dear grindstone,
I'm a Zergling. I do not think,..
I need Cerebrates to think for me what I would think about myself whenever it were me.
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

Yes, BASIC was meant to be easy to learn, read and understand was a nice thread:
BasicCoder2 wrote:FreeBASIC is developing into an obscure non intuitive language in its race to become C++
So true ;-)