programming for fun

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Linuxbob

Re: programming for fun

Postby Linuxbob » Aug 22, 2018 10:00

I agree, there is nothing wrong with the skilled trades, the folks who do them are essential and important. My dad grew up in Germany during WWII, so construction trades were just about the only places to find work after the war. His comments came out of what the trade had done to him: working in 90+ degree heat in the summers, no work in the winters, the damage done to his hands, etc. and I saw that growing up. I spent some time digging trenches and stringing wires for traffic signals, so I have some idea what he went through. But, I am good at math so engineering school was a good option for me.
BasicCoder2

Postby BasicCoder2 » Aug 23, 2018 4:28

Linuxbob wrote:I agree, there is nothing wrong with the skilled trades, the folks who do them are essential and important.

However robots will take these jobs. Brick laying robots are already being used.
People worry about not having a job when what they should worry about is not having ownership.
dafhi

Postby dafhi » Aug 23, 2018 4:43

imo if pple dropped the concepts of property and ownership it would be way better.

the civilization i come from, or rather, a vision of common sense that could also be a memory from a different perspective, is like the Jetson's cartoon but nobody works
BasicCoder2

Postby BasicCoder2 » Aug 23, 2018 5:06

dafhi wrote:imo if pple dropped the concepts of property and ownership it would be way better.

However people are not going to change so you have no choice but to compete for ownership of the means of production or forever be dependent on those who do own the means of production having a job for you.
dafhi

Postby dafhi » Aug 23, 2018 5:20

[edited]
actually, i don't believe in the need to compete. again, it will come down to showing people an alternative. simply put, my goal is to have fun within the context of not concerning myself with the pursuit of resources. They will either come in bucketloads automatically, or I will simply show the way.

I actually don't even believe in nutrition. I thought I would have been off the food chain by now. I'm still having fun. One of the side routes led me to finding a foundation for a perpetual motion machine I can actually work with. Nothing "black box" about it. Even a grandma could see what's going on.

My main interest is computer graphics.

old post
dafhi wrote:this is true. and i don't have kids. and for the most part, the only way i can be of benefit is to be an example. right now i use money extremely sparingly.

i played an online mmo and during the short time there i amassed quite a bit of the game's currency through honest means. buying low, selling high, learning personal habits and modifying. one thing i learned that would help a lot of people. well two things. avoid buying small stuff, and only buy important items when their price is, say 1/5 of your pool.

right before i quit, i was giving out relatively big chunks of change and it felt like nothing.

anyway, real life money i don't care about. the concept of expense is a total scam. i don't expect many people to get that, but i'm not *counting* on people not understanding. i'm leaving my imagination open.

that path for me seems clear: my goal is to simply have fun. i don't intend to set an example but it's a probable vector :)
Lost Zergling

Postby Lost Zergling » Sep 01, 2018 15:34

Child, I discovered the basic on ZX81, then I went on Ti99 / 4A. I studied programming on Victor brand computers and on Psion (OPL / w). My first contacts with the professional environment were in Clipper / Nantucket environment and under VB. Subsequently, I worked in Lotus Notes environment. Each in their own way, these dissimilar environments all owed something to the Basic. Nowadays, there are as many differences and similarities between the basic ZX81 and FreeBasic as between a Chihuahua and a Doberman. What brings a language closer to the Basic? The basic can be many more things, but what should it be ... basically? From my point of view, beyond the classical syntax the Basic has to be easy and flexible. Moreover this language has historically been honored to protect the creativity of the programmer. Ease, flexibility and open door to creativity, that would be, in my opinion, the DNA of language.

Return to “Community Discussion”