Help in return for a donation

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
jj2007

Re: Help in return for a donation

Postby jj2007 » Jun 25, 2018 20:37

jj2007 wrote:Can you explain in a few words what the executables do that you want to be extracted and then launched?
No answer is a pretty clear answer. No help, sorry.
newbieforever

Postby newbieforever » Jun 25, 2018 21:12

@jj2007:

What a day today! Misunderstandings at every turn.

I have sent you an answer to your member address, and there is a detailed description in Launcher.doc, and there is a file demonstrating what kind of binary data is involved.

But be it.
St_W

Postby St_W » Jun 26, 2018 8:05

@newbieforever: Why do you want to use your own custom binary format for the archive file? There are so many widespread archive file formats out there, for example ZIP, with existing libraries to do the packing/unpacking which should server your purposes pretty well (and even allows to do more than your simple binary format; like compression).

But, as others have already noted, the strangest thing is that you are not able to provide an explanation why you want your tool to work like that or answer any questions about its purpose - at least not publically. Maybe you should first learn about requirements engineering (Google for "Requirements Engineering Tutorial" and you'll find lots of resources to learn from). Then you'd learn how to describe Use cases, personas, etc.
If you do not want to share any details of your project publically hire a software developer and pay appropriately for it (e.g. there are many agencies for freelancers).
newbieforever

Postby newbieforever » Jun 26, 2018 10:18

St_W wrote:Why do you want to use your own custom binary format for the archive file?

Is that really such an eminently important question? But OK. I am working on a project which main idea is (1) to find the simplest, slimmest, most independent solutions (2) for a completely new concept opening new possibilities. My binary format is such a solution, e.g. because such an archive can be generated (if necessary) even by a batch file, and with a simple open-source tool compilable by a free compiler (which I am desperately trying to beg for a donation) this would remain a simple, independent low-level solution. With a certain charm, at least in my eyes. For my purpose no compression is required. But you can also call it whimsy, if you want: A crazy guy who want to use simple handmade archive files and...

St_W wrote:... the strangest thing is that you are not able to provide an explanation why you want your tool to work like that...

Really??? Everybody here has the opportunity to read my elaborated explanation. If all the files needed for a AHK project (the interpreter AutoHotkey.exe, one or more scripts, maybe some auxiliary tools or resources) are packed in a file, the content must be extracted and a file must be run. Where is a fatal mystery to be explained here? And then those ridiculous assumptions, it could be a treacherous malware thing–-that is ridiculous! Should I want to include a malicious thing into a binary file, I could do this easily even by simple console commands like type or copy (e.g.: type MaliciousThing.exe AnotherFile.txt AnotherFile.exe > TheBigThing.exe)––why should I ask for help to do it in a stupid difficult way??? The Launcher tool (which I am desperately trying to beg for a donation) can easily be written in AHK (even much easier than in FB, because it is a script language supporting Unicode)––if I wanted to destroy the world by my malicious work I could easily do it that way (it wouldn't matter if the malicious binary would be 750 kB instead of 420 kB, which is the only difference between the two ways!!!).

Therefore: Are you [in German: "von allen guten Geistern velassen" >>> maybe something like:] totally out of mind? Sorry!
dodicat

Postby dodicat » Jun 26, 2018 15:51

In the spirit of procrastination.
Is your only problem launcher.exe (written in AHK) being too large?
newbieforever

Postby newbieforever » Jun 26, 2018 16:34

dodicat wrote:Is your only problem launcher.exe (written in AHK) being too large?

Exactly! My concept only makes sense when the auxiliary tool is < 50 kB. The same tool in AHK would be about 400 kB.

(What means "in the spirit of procrastination"?)
dodicat

Postby dodicat » Jun 26, 2018 16:59

Thank you newbieforever.

Procrastination means dithering before a session of hard work.
But did you try strip.exe on your launcher.exe.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/5eu2vwa3jxkc5k6/strip.zip/file
caseih

Postby caseih » Jun 26, 2018 17:46

strip only works on executables that were generated by the GNU (Mingw) toolchain. It wouldn't be able to do anything to exes made by Visual Studio, for example, and I don't think it would do anything to the AHK-produced executable, which if I understand correctly is simply the interpreter bundled with the script into one file.
jj2007

Postby jj2007 » Jun 26, 2018 17:53

dodicat wrote:Is your only problem launcher.exe (written in AHK) being too large?
The launcher could simply be a minimal console application with the one or more executables embedded as RCDATA resources. Two kBytes if written in Masm, slightly more in FB, but in any case far below 50k.
newbieforever

Postby newbieforever » Jun 26, 2018 19:15

jj2007 wrote:The launcher could simply be a minimal ... Two kBytes if written in Masm, slightly more in FB...

My speech!!! I simply need what I described, that's why I am here, that's what I am saying from the beginning. (Only everyone else here wants to talk about something else all the time.) Where and when can I pick it up?
dodicat

Postby dodicat » Jun 26, 2018 19:31

I tried strip on a freepascal .exe 125 kb to 88 kb
I tried strip on a darkbasic .exe 3885 kb to 150 kb
I tried strip on a qb54 .exe no difference
I don't have any more compilers at the moment.
The mingw (gcc) is used in most compilers these days I would guess.
It really is difficult to be free of it.

Sod's law says that mewbieforever's launcher is not linked to gcc.
But it is worth a try before writing any code IMHO
marcov

Postby marcov » Jun 26, 2018 19:38

dodicat wrote:I tried strip on a freepascal .exe 125 kb to 88 kb

The mingw (gcc) is used in most compilers these days I would guess.

Note mingw is a distribution of what is needed for a gcc toolchain. But it contains many non gcc parts like binutils,gdb,make etc.

Freepascal doesn't use mingw for the most. Just delete/movea way ld.exe as.exe and recompile. The internal assembler and linker are just compatible with binutils and gdb, and gcc was never used in the first place.

The only mingw distribution part that generates something that goes into FPC/Lazarus programs is windres (32bit) and gorc(64-bit) for generating resourcefiles for 3rd party .rc resourcescripts (the resources for lazarus internal forms, tables and translations (resource strings) are directly generated without separate resource compiler).
caseih

Postby caseih » Jun 27, 2018 2:42

dodicat wrote:The mingw (gcc) is used in most compilers these days I would guess.

Among open source products, yes it is often used. As you've found in your little test, those executables that could be stripped were either built with GCC, or at least used the GNU binutils to link the object files, or in the case of FPC, was compatible with binutils. Given that AHK is an open source project, there is a slim chance they chose to use the Gnu tools to assemble their executable. But I rather doubt it. A lot of open source programs often try to build with the native tools where possible. Firefox and LibreOffice are built with visual Studio, for example.

But outside of that little niche, no, the MingW distribution and the GNU tools are hardly used. Visual Studio and it's compilers reign supreme on Windows. They really do a great job and are freely available.
jj2007

Postby jj2007 » Jun 27, 2018 4:57

newbieforever wrote:
jj2007 wrote:The launcher could simply be a minimal ... Two kBytes if written in Masm, slightly more in FB...

My speech!!! I simply need what I described, that's why I am here, that's what I am saying from the beginning. (Only everyone else here wants to talk about something else all the time.) Where and when can I pick it up?

Proof of concept: The exe is 3072 bytes, composed of the launcher and an embedded hello world proggie. But it's not FB, sorry.
newbieforever

Postby newbieforever » Jun 27, 2018 5:23

... It's for crying ...

newbieforever wrote:I simply need what I described, that's why I am here, that's what I am saying from the beginning. (Only everyone else here wants to talk about something else all the time.)

Return to “Community Discussion”