To Admin

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
deltarho[1859]

To Admin

Post by deltarho[1859] »

I should like to use the FreeBASIC logo in the following manner.

If yes then you may like me to add some comment in the head of the Source Code.

If no then I will remove and replace it with the incredibly boring information system icon. <smile>

At the moment the image exists only my internal hard drive, a secure directory on my website and above.

If I get no response within the next ten days the logo will be removed from the aforementioned locations.

David Roberts
counting_pine
Site Admin

Re: To Admin

Post by counting_pine »

I personally don’t have a problem with it, but I’m not sure who designed it or whether they came up with terms it could be used under.
Wikipedia tends to display company logos without explicit licences, under Fair Use. So I don’t think it would be a problem.
I think generally we wouldn’t expect people to dedicate a dialogue box just to FreeBASIC. Acknowledgement is completely optional, but of course generally appreciated.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

I very much doubt that a designer would have any say with regards terms of use of a logo designed for another party; such as FreeBASIC. The terms of use would more likely rest with the other party. The logo only appears with the message above. All other messages use icons related to the their message, as normal. Usually, such information is displayed on clicking an 'About' entry in the application's menu. I am not using a menu. The above appears when clicking on my logo on the application's dialog box.

Anyway, I will press on with it and if anyone objects then I will remove it. The application will be freeware; although from a legal perspective that has no bearing on the matter.

Thanks for getting back to me.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

I'm not sure, but if I do remember well some reading around here, this logo is taken from the running horse prehistoric movie (in white and black, from the years 1900 or so). So its probably not subject to any copyright as it. Even if the way the logo has been colourized for FBs purpose may be subject to some. So the original question I guess !