No more hosted networks (ad-hoc connections) allowed on win10!?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Tourist Trap

No more hosted networks (ad-hoc connections) allowed on win10!?

Post by Tourist Trap »

Hi,

did you know that our dear Bill decided that ad-hoc connections wouldn't be allowed for the wifi cards made to fit Win10 specifications? So no more easy and fast peer to peer connection between 2 computers at home.

I discovered this with some stupor when trying to link my xp machine to my win10's one. It really takes less than 10 seconds to set an ad-hoc wifi network with XP. They simply removed the gui
application for that on win10. So you have to try some "netsh" command with the shell. Where one will soon discover that even if the wifi card could do "hosted networking" before (windows8), it has been made unavailable with the win10 drivers.

Why do Microsoft always manage to make us waste our time and money with silly obstructions, I will never understand it!

Anyone else who met this issue around here? Any known fix? It would really be useful to me to be able to reach my other computer this way, to get into my freebasic directories for instance..

Thanks.
Dinosaur

Re: No more hosted networks (ad-hoc connections) allowed on win10!?

Post by Dinosaur »

Hi All

I gave up on the complicated networking between XP & Linux & later Windoze and instead I use a program
called Dukto.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dukto/
It finds whatever network there is and connects.
I use Ethernet on some Industrial machines, and the Wifi at home.
For simple fast file transfers it is easy to use.

Don't know how fast you want it to be, but being FREE you wont waste any money trying it.

Regards
grindstone

Post by grindstone »

Seems like avoiding the odd version number (Windows 9) didn't work: Every other Windows version still is crap.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

Dinosaur wrote: It finds whatever network there is and connects.
Hi,

thanks for the tool, it detects my neighbours router's IP and probably would try to send anything there if it was my request.

Unfortunately it doesn't detect the IP associated to the ad-hoc network from my XP machine. The paradox is that win10 sees it and of course won't connect to it because this kind of network works only if each computers does replicate the "ssid" of the other. Which is no more in the user hands on win10, as said before.

However in conclusion, the adhoc network is seen by win10, without any use, but not seen otherwise (via the tool). Sad, but I keep this utility in the pocket, it's deadly simple, I'll use it elsewhere probably. I'm still stuck, not even a rj45 port on the win10 computer of course...
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Hi All

If you connect the two machines via a crossover Ethernet cable, then it should work.
You can enter the IP from one on the other.

Then again, I know nothing (and don't want to) of Win10

Regards
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

Dinosaur wrote:If you connect the two machines via a crossover Ethernet cable, then it should work.
I have connected my Win10 and Win7 machines via a TP-Link router and two Ethernet cables. It works, kind of, I can see one folder and its subfolders on the "other" machine, but don't ask me how I did it. I wasted a day. And don't even think of consulting the built-in Micros**t help...
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

Ad-hoc networking on Windows 10 is a little more complicated because you need to ensure...

1. You have enabled network browsing
2. You have password protected sharing on or off
3. You have set up the proper resource sharing permissions
4. You have set up the proper security permissions (Different from sharing)
5. You have IP addresses on each machine that can route to each other.

I have been using ad-hoc between older Windows and Win 10 and Linux for a while.

-Vince
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

vdecampo wrote:Ad-hoc networking on Windows 10 is a little more complicated because you need to ensure...

1. You have enabled network browsing
2. You have password protected sharing on or off
3. You have set up the proper resource sharing permissions
4. You have set up the proper security permissions (Different from sharing)
5. You have IP addresses on each machine that can route to each other.
vdecampo, I don't find any windows tool for setting up some ad-hoc network. Where does it hide? When I looked for it on the web people there said they use the command line. NETSH allows everything to be set up manually from the command line. The issue is that my card, qualcomm 9377 in short (i can provide the full name if needed) does show no support for "hosted networks" (on win10, not the same on win8 from what people say).

With the command line it's all about hosted networks, this is not called ad-hoc. Whatever, the same search on the web shows results where people who upgraded from win8.1 had the same issue as I do, and had to downgrade their drivers to get it solved (but they complain about windows update being reversing their change...) I would have done that (downgrade), but I've a computer that was already on win10, so no old drivers remaining around (and asus doesn't seem to provide them, those oem stuffs must be provided by the vendor because they are costomized for a given machine).

My win10 computer is a kind of tablet from asus, so by the way I've no ethernet port (otherwise I would use this option), and also it's all hardware that I can not dismount and change.

So the question is, are you sure that win10 drivers allow hosted networks, or else if this is not the good question, I would ask you how you did set up your ad-hoc network from win10?
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

Instead of complaining, get a USB to Ethernet Adapter, and use that (problem solved!).
Mihail_B

Post by Mihail_B »

You mean you tried this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 039?auth=1 and it didn't work :)) =)) ?
Just for fun I've tried it and it kinda worked, but i have to admit to have used a GUI would have been much better and easier :)
I miss Windows 7 and the feel and touch of it, but now it's too late for me to complain.
Perhaps with this move M$ is encouraging 3rd party software tools or maybe command line skills ? :)
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

Mihail_B wrote:You mean you tried this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 039?auth=1 and it didn't work :)) =)) ?
Just for fun I've tried it and it kinda worked, but i have to admit to have used a GUI would have been much better and easier :)
I miss Windows 7 and the feel and touch of it, but now it's too late for me to complain.
Perhaps with this move M$ is encouraging 3rd party software tools or maybe command line skills ? :)
Ok, I didn't find this link previously. It states the issue exactly as I would have done after my own research, so thanks a lot it can not be more accurate. I now have an issue with ASUS then, I'll see if I can obtain an update of the driver of the wifi card. This is still a shame that they disallowed a so basic feature driver side...

Thanks all, for now I'll look for a driver update, or more likely a regression to some win8 version (I already tried to find drivers updates with low success previously).

Notice that the guy from Microsoft doesn't seem to see any problem in that we can not anymore share the internet this way. But ok that was not my request anyway.