time to say goodbye

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
fxm

Re: time to say goodbye

Post by fxm »

This is why I tend not to get involved in discussions on topics that I think are primarily aimed at triggering controversy.
angros47

Post by angros47 »

I have the impression that actually D.J. Peters felt too much pressure, and needed a break. I hope he will be back after some rest.

We will be here to welcome you back!
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

caseih wrote:I'd rather someone message me about it than leave all bothered.
Then you face the fear as to how the person will take it. In real life I simply avoid interacting with sensitive souls always ready to take offense or assume they are being judged in some way. Just for the record I will not be offended if someone wants to pass judgement on any of my posts, and that includes calling me an bright, and I apologize if I have ever given offense for it was never my intention to do so.

D.J.Peter's passing shots were probably not the deciding reason to leave. Hopefully he will find his intellectual equals with similar interests in another forum or group. His interests and knowledge reach far beyond FreeBASIC. We were just lucky to have him here for so long.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

@BasicCoder2, just curious, why do you end your posts with a single period "." on a blank line. I've wondered about that for a while now.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

fxm wrote:This is why I tend not to get involved in discussions on topics that I think are primarily aimed at triggering controversy.
My Thoughts exactly as well. I try my best to always stick to programming rather than inflammatory issues.
fxm

Post by fxm »

Remember this topic - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=25691 - and the 3rd post:
D.J.Peters wrote:Time to go if the captain leave the sinking ship :-)

In the last time I self don't spend much time with FreeBASIC.
My new hobby are developing and build a 3D scanner.
Secondly I build retro computing stuff and learn more about electronics.

How ever thank you for all your work to make FreeBASIC what it is today.

Joshy
Last edited by fxm on Dec 03, 2017 7:51, edited 1 time in total.
St_W

Post by St_W »

caseih wrote:It's true that trolls often drive people away from community discussion forums such as this, but it bothers me when people feel the need to make a public statement before going off in a huff, and especially without calling out the individuals who were the apparent trolls (perhaps a private message first.
There have been several "goodbye" threads by various people in the last 10 years. I also think that it isn't necessary to directly and publically accuse users of being trolls as everyone who's active on this forums can imagine who those few users are anyway. And I think that there are other reasons for the leave and the trolls are just the tip of the iceberg. btw private messages are disabled on this forum.
(offtopic: they are just broadcasting Mozart's Requiem from Vienna's Stephansdom live in TV - suits well to the current mood here)
dafhi

Post by dafhi »

I was hoping we could create a path tracer someday. When my winning attitude emerges ..

It could still happen. I'll probably write another one anyway.

May clarity, comfort and peace guide you.
sancho3

Post by sancho3 »

Roland Chastain wrote:viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26153

The trouble there started after this thread was made. It had no impact on D.J.Peters.
And even in that thread there is nothing I see that is so over the top that a moderator needs to be removing/banning.

I stand by my statement that this goodbye thread (or at least the supposed reasoning behind it) is nonsense.

I am certain that there is something in the air of late that leads to stubbornness where none is warranted.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

D.J.Peters wrote:but too much idiots and trolls here
I only joined these forums in January but that is long enough for me to say that I do not see that. For someone who has been here since 2005 to say that then at some point in the past there must have been, in their view, less idiots and trolls here and that someone's tolerance threshold has now been exceeded.

Our tolerance threshold seems to me to be an aspect of our nature which we have little influence on. It can vary over time: With some it increases as they get older; with others it decreases as they get older; and with some it tends to be invariant but that is rare.

I don't know D.J.Peters but I do know that he has made a heck of a lot posts and from the comments here it looks like they have been quality contributions so it is sad to see someone of his calibre leave.

Perhaps I shouldn't say this but I do not think that this forum would be any the less if the threads 'Making FreeBasic appealing to a wider audience' and 'Making Freebasic "easier" for new users' were ripped out in their entirety. Both threads will eventually drift into the ether and I doubt that anything positive will be achieved by either. The original intentions were good but it seems to me that they have both backfired.
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

2005 is also when I joined, and one of my favorite things about this community was being able to ask questions and not get trolled; I've always been pleasantly surprised at the help I got. No wonder I stuck around all these years.

Hate to see you go. All I can say is something else we don't see may be affecting your decision. Maybe a couple too many beers before that post? ;) Maybe life is hard right now. Anyway, you would be missed, obviously. And I say would because many of us think/hope you might change your mind.

In any case, thank you very much for the mass amount of work and your dedication, and the beautiful results. That goes the same for many others on this board too, in case you also start to thinking about leaving.
Last edited by mrToad on Dec 02, 2017 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
enform

Post by enform »

Code: Select all

#Include "Captain"

Function IsItGoodbye(beers As Float) As bool

Do
		SendMessage(sad_events,sad_world,but_no_war_here)
		beers -= 2
		Sleep One_Night
	Loop Until beers = 0

Return back_to_fb_forum
End Function

Var comeback = IsItGoodbye(100)
       ;-)

mrToad

Post by mrToad »

enform wrote:

Code: Select all

#Include "Captain"

Function IsItGoodbye(beers As Float) As bool

Do
		SendMessage(sad_events,sad_world,but_no_war_here)
		beers -= 2
		Sleep One_Night
	Loop Until beers = 0

Return back_to_fb_forum
End Function

Var comeback = IsItGoodbye(100)
       ;-)

LOL this is great.
marcov

Post by marcov »

angros47 wrote:I have the impression that actually D.J. Peters felt too much pressure, and needed a break. I hope he will be back after some rest.
Yup, bit of a burnout, and no cooldown before posting. It happens to all of us.
lizard

Post by lizard »

He will be back, can't survive without us. :-)