Guilty as charged

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
owen

Re: Guilty as charged

Post by owen »

i was planning to go 3d with fbcadcam but never did of course but that's why i have z in some of the code.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

owen wrote: i'm just tired and wanting to preserve my work.
Why don't you just ask Freebasic.net to host your files somewhere and put all the stuff up as zipped files here at freebasic.net ?
That could save you a lot of money hosting three sites for very few pages and also the "key" discussion were over as such. Also doing so wouldn't prevent you from giving a full set of site copies to someone else and give them the legal rights to the stuff if you also want that.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

owen wrote:i can't walk and talk and chew bubble gum at the same time.
Who the hell can?

I am reminded of the old joke.
Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
Doctor: "Well, don't do it then!".

The secret is: Get the code working first, optimise it later.

I have lost count on the number of times that I have gone over code to 'fine tune' it and thought "Oh, dear, did I write that?" I have spotted 'howlers' in Functions and Subs which I copied and pasted many moons after first writing them. There were no real issues becuase they were of the type "it's not incorrect either cuz it works."
2. wanting to fix it is sign of addiction.
No, it is not.

When it comes to coding, being hard on ourselves is a good thing but it seems to me, owen, that you are being far too hard on yourself - we don't have to wear a 'hair shirt'. <Ha>
1. not being able to find it is a sign that i'm getting old.
Perhaps it is. I couldn't find some code yesterday. I remembered that it used a particular Windows API so used 'FileLocator Pro' to search for it. I used an acronym for the folder the code resided in and forgot what the acronym meant! <laugh>

Have a good trip, owen.
owen

Post by owen »

@ Trinity
Why don't you just ask Freebasic.net to host your files somewhere and put all the stuff up as zipped files here at freebasic.net ?
That's a thought but I wouldn't impose. Something like that shouldn't be asked. One has to wait for the invitation. Besides the fbcad project aint all that. I always thought every computer language should have a cad program to show off the capabilities of the language and that aint fbcadcam either. Maybe if someone were to write a better fbcad and a better fbcad-macro then perhaps that could be hosted on freebasic.net
That could save you a lot of money hosting three sites for very few pages
It's my privilege to bear the expense and liability. There is no asset in the project other then the idea of insisting it be a free and open source asset (if you will)

I think having sites like fbcadcam and frankticfreebasic out there on the net are beneficial in the sense it points new programmers to freebasic.

I shouldn't have used the word preserve. I meant to say "live on"
owen

Post by owen »

In preparation to hand the keys over i am currently thinking about purchasing and adding an SSL certificate for fbcadcam.net
of the 3 domains the dot net is for the forum while the dot com is static and the dot org is for ftp accounts.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

fxm wrote:<calling FXM>
Hi FXM , sorry for paging you like this but I didn't know who else and how else to ask.
When I wrote the below to Owen , he gave below answer , so I would just like to ask if you think that freebasic.net could find a suitable spot to put Owen's fbcad files if he want ? (And if then offer him)

Trinity Wrote :
That could save you a lot of money hosting three sites for very few pages

owen Wrote :
That's a thought but I wouldn't impose. Something like that shouldn't be asked. One has to wait for the invitation. Besides the fbcad project aint all that. I always thought every computer language should have a cad program to show off the capabilities of the language and that aint fbcadcam either. Maybe if someone were to write a better fbcad and a better fbcad-macro then perhaps that could be hosted on freebasic.net

It's my privilege to bear the expense and liability. There is no asset in the project other then the idea of insisting it be a free and open source asset (if you will)
fxm

Post by fxm »

Trinity wrote:
fxm wrote:<calling FXM>
Hi FXM , sorry for paging you like this but I didn't know who else and how else to ask.
When I wrote the below to Owen , he gave below answer , so I would just like to ask if you think that freebasic.net could find a suitable spot to put Owen's fbcad files if he want ? (And if then offer him)
Question to admins?
owen

Post by owen »

@ fxm i apologize this got too emotional. not my intention.
trinity is asking on my behalf for a sub domain fbcad.freebasic.net or freebasic.net/fbcad.
the project is not worthy of such.
i will keep it all on my site for the mean time.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

fxm wrote:Question to admins?
Ah!, very sorry to have bothered you then (I was confusing Wiki and site , very sorry for that).

(Suggestion sent to Admins)
Last edited by Trinity on Oct 10, 2017 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
owen

Post by owen »

ps blue host is setting up a dedicated IP for my account (fbcadcam.com) and SSL for fbcadcam.net.
all my posts with pics and so forth in this forum are going to be unavailable for awhile.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

owen wrote:trinity is asking on my behalf for a sub domain fbcad.freebasic.net or freebasic.net/fbcad..
Actually , I were not asking for a sub domain (FBIDE has one but *everybody* has got to use an IDE - though more have come later) .
I were thinking of either a page or at least a place on a page with links to an on-site (freebasic.net) hosting of your files as suggested earlier by me.
owen

Post by owen »

ok im sorry for that, but really it's going to just fine keeping everything on bluehost.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

owen wrote:ok im sorry for that, but really it's going to just fine keeping everything on bluehost.
Nothing to be sorry about in that respect and as long as FreeBasic.net exists then people could at least have access to your program if FreeBasic.net agree to host your program files. (I have suggested this)
owen

Post by owen »

ok i think i got a good idea to help everyone know what im talking about.
now at this moment, bluehost has changed things on the server for me and some of my links and pics might not resolve at this very moment as the dns server's database hasn't propagated everywhere yet. so the link below may or may not resolve for you depending on where you are in the world.

try going to:
http://fbcadcam.com
http://www.fbcadcam.com
http://fbcadcam.net/forum
http://www.fbcadcam.net/forum
http://fbcadcam.org
http://www.fbcadcam.org

what happens for you when you click on those links.
owen

Post by owen »