Guilty as charged

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
owen

Guilty as charged

Post by owen »

I am getting old and tired and may not be able to do much more on my cad stuff.
I wanted to make sure I said thanks to the FB community and to leave words of encouragement.

I am guilty as charged because my code is incorrect.

Well, if not incorrect then perhaps:
A perfect example of what not to do because there is a better way to do it. I am apologizing to the FB community in advance as my code may cause others to ask you questions which shouldn't be being asked.

Though my code reflects my limitations, FB has been flexible enough for me to work with and I hope it remains so.

A few thing about computer programming I would like to say:

Creativity is where it's at and programming affords an infinite canvas in which to express yourself.

Learn how to program however you can, correct or incorrect it doesn't matter, unless you like being bald of course cuz you'll pull your hair out if you learn to program the way I did. Take the advice of the FB community as they are likely to give you constructive criticism for your benefit.
Last edited by owen on Oct 09, 2017 12:19, edited 1 time in total.
deltarho[1859]

Re: Guilty as charged

Post by deltarho[1859] »

After reading your post a few times, owen, I concluded that you may not be in a fit state to do much coding on Monday morning because of a horrendous hangover. It is a state that I can only reminisce about as the pills that I take bar me from indulging in a glass or two. One of the pills is a blood thinner so if I had a drink and accidentally cut myself then I'd probably bleed out before I got to the 'phone. The other pill is a beta blocker which is very good because it stops my blood pressure going through the roof when I am on the exercise bike. I have an exercise bike because after walking for about twenty minutes my left knee packs up. A few weeks ago I went for a long walk but got so far away from base I had to get a cab to take me home. I am very aware that the number of decent brain cells that I have left for coding today is because I was coding yesterday.
A perfect example of what not to do because there is a better way to do it
Top draw coders are not immune to that.
Though my code reflects my limitations
Top draw coders are not immune to that either.

My draw may be some way from the top draw but I am in the same cabinet.

The vast majority of folk are not even in the same room, let alone the same cabinet.

So, keep coding.

I will be 70 in December and intend to have a drink. I will sit near the 'phone. <smile>
dafhi

Post by dafhi »

omg you guys. deltarho i found that hilarious. it's so weird; everyone seems young from their posts. owen, the mental horsepower you pack is kind of incredible - a bit on the D.J. Peters side of things.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

I think we go through three stages: The first stage is a politically incorrect one and we seem not to care much about what people think of us and are convinced we know it all; The second stage is a politically correct one and we seem to care what people think of us are and know that we do not know it all - the mellow stage; The third stage is back to a politically incorrect one and we seem not to care much about what people think of us and are convinced we know it all.

When it comes to the written word then it is not always easy in determining whether the author is young or old.

Since you cannot see me I shall leave you to guess whether I am managing to keep a straight face or not.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

owen wrote:Creativity is where it's at and programming affords an infinite canvas in which to express yourself.
Very well expressed :-) Which also is a sign that you ought to keep the canvas if for nothing else then for your own entertainment :-)
Have a very nice day :-)
grindstone

Post by grindstone »

dafhi wrote: it's so weird; everyone seems young from their posts.
That's the proof: Coding keeps young. ;-)

@owen: Seems that for some reason you got the blues. Simply wait til they're gone and then, please, take your place at the keyboard again!
owen

Post by owen »

@ deltarho[1859]
that was a great post. i'm only 51 and already complaining about being tired. it helps me to keep things in perspective sometimes. if i think i'm having a bad day, i'll always think of you to remind me that my day ain't going so bad after all. ps. out of pure consideration, i'm having a beer for u right now.

@ dafhi
LOL u think i'm a mental horse power... i might agree with the mental part of that statement. i think u guys got me confused with the likes of DJ to which i am not worthy.

@ Trinity and grindstone
thanks for the words of encouragement. for me time is running out.

ps. as as a back-up, i would like to prepare to turn the keys over to someone just in case if u know what i mean.
grindstone

Post by grindstone »

That sounds serious. :-(

But at least you'll leave some traces here.

As we say in Germany: "Keep the ears stiff" (Halt die Ohren steif).
owen

Post by owen »

But at least you'll leave some traces here
yes, but:

if i don't give the keys away then there will be a bunch of broken links in the forum and i wouldn't want that for this community.
owen

Post by owen »

as a community: u guys have to decide who gets the keys.
note: the keys aint necessarily to a mansion, more like the shed out back. i'll make sure the rent is paid up for as many years as possible.
owen

Post by owen »

also i wanted to say: don't forget about guys like relsoft. i can only imagine he still needs help.
grindstone

Post by grindstone »

owen wrote:if i don't give the keys away then there will be a bunch of broken links in the forum and i wouldn't want that for this community.
Yes, I see what you mean. I'm not an internet expert (not at all), but I'm sure there could be found a solution.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

owen wrote:thanks for the words of encouragement. for me time is running out.
Sorry to hear that you are in what sounds to me like a bad situation.
But I have to say as for the attitude that you seem to express then what I have learned is that "giving up"/loosing spirit" is generally not a beneficial attitude and it will generally not help or solve any problems.
And also as you Americans say then : It ain't over till the fat lady sings
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

owen wrote:if i think i'm having a bad day, i'll always think of you to remind me that my day ain't going so bad after all.
Well, it ain't so bad but I think it fair to say that I have peaked and with my left knee it is a downhill struggle. <laugh>
ps. out of pure consideration, i'm having a beer for u right now.
You are too kind, sir - I think. <smile>
owen

Post by owen »

I'm not looking for sympathy. I'm facing reality.
Yes I am in poor health, this has been the case for several years running. I'm just an old worn out truck driver (with a few years left in me). But there's more to it, the details of which I will spare you. Long story short, I may not be around (on-line or otherwise) in the near future (i figure in a year perhaps) so that's why i'm being blunt.

I care about my cad stuff and I care about the forum / community.
Without emotions, I'm saying these things to you in a practical sense.