The Birth of BASIC.

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
lizard

Re: The Birth of BASIC.

Post by lizard »

leopardpm wrote: like it!
Agree. I think this fits perfectly into the original BASIC style.
lizard

Post by lizard »

Naturally we know, the plan is to keep FB as short as possible, so that executables become small. Further extensions can be added by everybody as needed.
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

lizard wrote:Naturally we know, the plan is to keep FB as short as possible, so that executables become small. Further extensions can be added by everybody as needed.
yup... small is beautiful

yet...
lizard

Post by lizard »

Later i bought a C64 because there was much more software. Now gaming hell was opened. One of me favourites was "Rocket Ball" where i learned each dirty trick, so that no one could beat me at this game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWFupPvEug
lizard

Post by lizard »

What we can see in the timeline in this video (28:58) after C64 in 1982,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICiZbUypMlQ

which was sold over 15.000.000 times, the world awaited a "Super C64" to appear. But this never happened. Commodore has done few attempts, like Plus 4, C128, Amiga and then the PC series.

But it all was not the "Super C64". That probably would have been a C1024 with the same clever "bank-switching" like C64, but everything better: More Ram, 1 MB. more resolution than 320 x 200, "Final Cartridge III" built-in, CBM Basic 3.5 or better. And a HD. That could have been the follower of C64 the world has waited for.

But Commodore has spreaded its energies in many models who all were not what the buyers wanted.

Now its all long over. But BASIC is still alive. :-)
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

Similar story with the Atari ST; much stronger than the competition but Tramiel wanted to get rich quickly; so he failed to invest anything, and Windows won in the end.
lizard

Post by lizard »

Yes, i believe Tramiel was a businessman, wanted to earn money.