WHO managed to take the WEB-Site down?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
dkl
Site Admin

Re: WHO managed to take the WEB-Site down?

Post by dkl »

Test post, is the forum working again?
petan

Post by petan »

Yes, afternoon I see it again, with a new look.
Is that new look right ?
fxm

Post by fxm »

We can no more choose the look of the board in the 'User Control Panel (Board preferences)'.
(the red color highlighting the presence of unread posts is not enough discriminating IMHO)

The control '

Code: Select all

' no longer works.
Example:
[code file=hello.bas]
Print "Hello!"
Sleep
Only '

Code: Select all

' works.
fxm

Post by fxm »

fxm wrote:We can no more choose the look of the board in the 'User Control Panel (Board preferences)'.
(the red color highlighting the presence of unread posts is not enough discriminating IMHO)
Thank you, but I still prefer the original style 'prosilver', although for the unread posts I find that the red color has not enough contrast!
St_W

Post by St_W »

I think the static homepage is really nice - simplistic, but with the most important content.

I still need to get used to the new look of the forum. IMHO there should be way more customization of the look & feel towards the FreeBasic homepage. For example the color scheme (mainly blue) does not match the colors of the (former) FreeBasic homepage (gray, b/w) and the FB logo. Currently there's even the phpBB logo in the header instead of an FB logo.

//edit: it seems the default forum theme was just changed while I was writing this post. I'm looking forward to a new clean, fresh and recognizable design.
//edit2: btw, color highlighting in code boxes doesn't seem to work currently; an overhaul of the syntax highlighting engine/logic would be fine anyway
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

Also on the Context of Redesign:
The IMO most important Thing: getting Forum and Wiki Login's into Sync. again!!!
FUNCTIONALITY first please! Even before DESIGN!
St_W

Post by St_W »

MrSwiss wrote:Also on the Context of Redesign:
The IMO most important Thing: getting Forum and Wiki Login's into Sync. again!!!
FUNCTIONALITY first please! Even before DESIGN!
I would also go for functionality first, BUT in this specific point I'd consider it not that important because the problem affects only relatively new, unexperienced users, which shouldn't be able to edit the documentation without further review anyway.
So I would enable write access to the wiki only once a review process for newbies (e.g. like on Wikipedia) is available. Of course, that could take some time to configure/implement.
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

St_W wrote:the problem affects only relatively new, unexperienced users,
First: new = inexperienced
Is not necessarily the same at all! (I might be new to FB, but I might have coded BASIC for 30 Years.)
Secondly:
It's mainly about writing Comments in Wiki which can't be done, if you're not "ancient" here ...

Best Example: all the DEMO-Code that is still wrongly using UInteger for Color (it is a ULong!).
St_W

Post by St_W »

MrSwiss wrote:First: new = inexperienced
Is not necessarily the same at all! (I might be new to FB, but I might have coded BASIC for 30 Years.)
I agree new doesn't always mean inexperienced with FB. Note that BASIC experience doesn't necessarily mean FreeBasic experience and also the other way round. Many programming concepts have change since those days and have been superseded. Many new concepts are available in FB which weren't in plain old BASIC and should be considered when writing new code.
MrSwiss wrote:Secondly: It's mainly about writing Comments in Wiki which can't be done, if you're not "ancient" here ...
Best Example: all the DEMO-Code that is still wrongly using UInteger for Color (it is a ULong!).
I don't know if somebody looks at the comments in the Wiki at all, so it may be more sensible to report such errors in the forum in the "Documentation" subforum anyway?

Of course it would still be nice to get documentation contributions working any time soon. But I wouldn't enable without any prior discussions about the contribution process (especially: how to avoid spam?).
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

St_W wrote:Many new concepts are available in FB which weren't in plain old BASIC and should be considered when writing new code.
You seemingly are not aware, that I've written "might" ... (Möglichkeits-Form: als ein
mögliches Beispiel; Deutsch/German)
Also the Date I've registered as a Forum User, is not identical to the Date I've started using FB.

As to using the Forum: this is at the very Best a "workaround" Solution, since Comments about
Wiki, belong into Wiki (IMHO). Wiki Maintainers might be more interested in such Comments
than you, as a person ...
fxm

Post by fxm »

MrSwiss wrote:Best Example: all the DEMO-Code that is still wrongly using UInteger for Color (it is a ULong!).
  • The biggest work is to locate all the examples impacted by the problem, and to precisely identify the lines of code having to be changed.
    This work, everyone can do it including the only Wiki Readers.
    After that, the following is only a work for typist (but having the write rights!).
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

@fxm,

KeyPgColor --> for Starters ...

Syntax:
declare function Color ( byval foreground as Long , byval background as Long ) as Long
correct: (ULong, ULong) as ULong

Example 2: top Line in Code: Dim c As UInteger
fxm

Post by fxm »

OK:
KeyPgColor ⇒ FxMwikki [In syntax: long => ulong, in example 2: Uinteger => Ulong]

But perhaps are impacted not only the UInteger declarations, but also Integer declarations!
Last edited by fxm on Jan 12, 2016 20:19, edited 1 time in total.
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

Yes I fully agree.

The Expansion of all Integer's in 64bit -- to 8 Byte Length, is the underlying Problem.

It also seems to be problematic with the Inclusion of certain Graphic's Lib's.
St_W

Post by St_W »

MrSwiss wrote:You seemingly are not aware, that I've written "might" [...] Also the Date I've registered as a Forum User, is not identical to the Date I've started using FB.
I am aware. My statement (FB knowledge <> BASIC knowledge) was intended to be more general (and, especially, not referring to you - so you don't need to justify yourself).
MrSwiss wrote:As to using the Forum: this is at the very Best a "workaround" Solution, since Comments about Wiki, belong into Wiki (IMHO). Wiki Maintainers might be more interested in such Comments than you, as a person ...
Of course your comments should target the wiki maintainers (I especially need to mention fxm at this place; you are doing a great job) - that is why I suggested posting in the "Documentation" subforum instead in the comment section of the Wiki (note: currently; that may change in future). Just take this as an example: the last comment in the wiki is from August 2015 and still unanswered.
You cannot deny that wiki maintainers are active in the forum. I would even claim they are more active here than in the comments section of the wiki.
Where documentation issues are best reported in the future is a question open for discussion.

Btw, I am (also) interested in comments about the documentation, as a FB community member, and would love to see more hints about 64-bit issues and other documentation issues. Probably we should start a separate thread for that (I'd suggest in the "documentation" subforum), because we are already mixing many topics here.