OT: BlitzMax is now free and open source

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Tourist Trap

Re: OT: BlitzMax is now free and open source

Post by Tourist Trap »

BasicCoder2 wrote:Incomplete incompatible class support for FreeBASIC with its own idiosyncratic nomenclature added to the language Tower of Babel is of no use to me at all.
Whatever, if of no use, one can avoid it in FB. More, one can target QB only, or the smart FB-Lite dialect. Do you know any other basic that provides such a range of choice? So I really don't understand your concern here. Maybe I'm missing something.
BasicCoder2 wrote:Your example seems to be about a gui designer? Not sure why you need oop support for this. I have written simple experimental demo examples of GUI editor/designers that generate event driven FreeBasic source code templates.
OOP allows writting nutshells which content can be easily modified according to how the needs are evolving. Of course other programing styles can do the same, but more painfully. OOP is not granted hi-price because it is easy. The difficulty is real, and focused on the conception as well as some added abstraction. However it's very maintenable and stands as the maximum of the modularization. To answer your question, it is what is required for component design and programming, on which consist, as far as I'm understanding this, the art of making gui.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

@Tourist Trap,
I know objects are how you are supposed to write programs. I was just ruined by learning to program using the old BASIC languages and find it too much of an effort to code things as objects.
marcov

Post by marcov »

BasicCoder2 wrote:
Tourist Trap wrote:With the OOP support anyone today can with moderate effort do gui development in freebasic. Of course, classes embedding events are still lacking a little, but as far as I've been able to experiment, the support for the OS APIs allows good compensation.

As a matter of demonstration I've made this demo : http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopi ... =7&t=24000. Only about 8 hours of crafting from me as a very casual and rather slow programmer, so nothing to be scared of.
Your example seems to be about a gui designer? Not sure why you need oop support for this. I have written simple experimental demo examples of GUI editor/designers that generate event driven FreeBasic source code templates.
Delphi/Lazarus allow you to enhance the generated code skeleton, while at the same time adding/changing GUI. IOW code and gui design are two way street.

That is actually the hard part. One way designers are a dime a dozen.
RNBW

Post by RNBW »

If users want to move away from Freebasic because it is too much like C++ and they want to work only on the Windows platform, I found the easiest Basic to write GUI programs is Liberty Basic, or to be more exact LB Booster. The latter is almost completely compatible with LB (it provides additional facilities which, if used, will make it incompatible) and uses BBC Basic for Windows runtime and provides a small exe file, which is standalone and it's much faster than LB.

It is quite easy to convert QB code to LB code.

I found it much easier than Blitzbasic.
oyster

Post by oyster »

what happend to blitzbasic whose site seems disappeared
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

Hello oyster.
A link to A dowload page for installer.
https://blitzresearch.itch.io/blitz3d/d ... j0FJtMc%3d
I have source code (C).