fox-toolkit

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
ike

fox-toolkit

Post by ike »

https://github.com/larskanis/fxruby

I have never use SWIG

Here is FOX TOOLKIT for ruby.
If you look at the source code there is FOX INCLUDES *.h files

and also SWIG interfaces. Is it possible to reuse that code and build LIB for FreeBasic?
D.J.Peters

Re: fox-toolkit

Post by D.J.Peters »

@ike the FOX Toolkit is C++ but you need a C API for FreeBASIC or a wrapper like the FLTK C wrapper.

Joshy
ike

Post by ike »

I know that FOX is C++, but I hoped it is possible to reuse SWIG files and generate FB wrapper
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

ike you can use simple C++ classes and namespaces with FreeBASIC directly.

extern "C++"
bla bla bla
end extern

but a complete GUI in C++ used things that are not compatible with FreeBASIC.

no support for the C++ datatype BOOL
no support for type c extends a,b

Joshy
ike

Post by ike »

I am not system programmer so I dont know that. But more I learn about system stuff more I see how much system programmers screw us up.

You need to type 1kb of code to say Hello, and that is because it is written in C, C++

writing code in C++ is a BLOODY STUPID IDEA

For writting OS and compilers maybe it is good, but for verical market it sucks.

Even for making RAD IDE tools it sucks. Ok, If I am wrong tell me then what RAD for C or C++ is comparable to Lazarus? NONE.

I hope FreeBasic will get something like Lazarus or VB6, soon
Boris the Old

Post by Boris the Old »

ike wrote:writing code in C++ is a BLOODY STUPID IDEA
So true!!!

What makes me sad, is that in the 50+ years that I've been programming there has been no improvement in the quality of code, no matter what the language. In fact, it's probably worse.

There was a time when software developers had quality control departments to do all the beta testing. Now, sadly, most beta testing is in the hands of customers. The theory being that, like monkeys hammering on a keyboard, luck rather than judgement will prove to be sufficient.

Rod
sean_vn

Post by sean_vn »

I paid 79 pounds for a 68000 assembler/debugger many years ago from an English company. It all worked extremely well and had a nice GUI. These days you get a highly fragmented set of tools for free, but in a lot of ways they are a backward step.