your thoughts on piracy?

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Merick

your thoughts on piracy?

Postby Merick » Feb 22, 2015 16:29

Nemo, Long John Silver, or One-eyed Willie?
sean_vn

Re: your thoughts on piracy?

Postby sean_vn » Feb 23, 2015 0:49

A Rolex is a pancake and an omelet rolled together, maybe with some tomato. I can sell you one cheap.
Dr_D

Postby Dr_D » Feb 25, 2015 20:08

Beerbeard, ftw!
sean_vn

Postby sean_vn » Feb 27, 2015 1:17

I'd like to do manufacturing for a living, I'm still playing with code because circumstances prevent me from doing what I want.
In terms of software piracy, it is very clear that no one is willing to pay for code.
The big companies know that, and that is one reason Android, Java etc are free. I don't see piracy as a big issue in the software sector simply because that sector has fully adapted already. I might do a html5 game this year, if I wanted to get money from it I'd include ads.
I might use html5 as a GUI with FB as well, to provide myself one consistent way of doing things.
One thing I'd like to do is create a simplifed and clarified version of C. I'd like to add in namespaces, have fully defined primatives (int8,int16 etc), FB like arrays, and maybe pointer access only structure types. Possibly also replace ending braces with end if, end for....
The idea is not to do so much, take away where possible, clarify where possible. It's still a bit pie in the sky.
dafhi

Postby dafhi » Feb 27, 2015 3:51

i dont believe in piracy. however, out of respect, i won't allow myself to collect and enjoy the works of others who wish to be compensated for their work.
Dr_D

Postby Dr_D » Feb 27, 2015 6:13

Hmm... I thought this was a joke. :p
Merick

Postby Merick » Feb 27, 2015 22:56

was meant to be one, but whatever...
Pritchard

Postby Pritchard » Mar 06, 2015 1:40

Yeah, I have a ton of thoughts on piracy. Much fewer on privacy because there practically isn't any.

I'm glad someone finally made this thread. I've been reading that title wrong for months!
caseih

Postby caseih » Mar 06, 2015 3:01

sean_vn wrote:In terms of software piracy, it is very clear that no one is willing to pay for code.

I don't think this is true at all. What's really happening is that basic software is now perceived an ultra cheap commodity, whether or not this is really true. And the app stores, while making a lot of people a lot of money, perpetuate this idea that software is near-free by flooding the market with games and lots of simple programs for a very low cost. If they are popular enough they can make a lot of money. But what it has done (and this is something Amazon did with books) is it lowers the perceived value of software. Thus if an app costs $10 people complain. To say nothing of $40 or $100 (yes I have an app on my phone that cost $40... more on that later). But even before app stores, the fact that software could be duplicated at zero cost and transferred from machine to machine also eroded people's perception of software value.

So we can say that few people are willing to pay for commodity code. No one pays for OS's these days (it came with the computer, so most don't see it as a cost). Few pay for Office software. And there are people who are happy to donate time and money to give you quality free programs like LibreOffice and the like, out of other motivations. So yes the days of making a killer app and selling it for $400 a pop are long gone. And the software that is expensive these days, well, sucks. Horribly. Like my $40 android app, which is a very vertical market app that appeals to at most a few thousand people. And it's pretty sad and not so useable. Pretty typical of more expensive, specialized software these days.

Software does still cost serious money, just not all kinds of software. If you want a web site, you'll find it's software of the most expensive kind. In my previous place of employment, I observed the building of two basic CMS-based web sites. Each one was nearly $30k by the time it was done, over the course of a year. Still cheaper than I could have done it though. If I had 3 part-time employees working on it at $20k a year each site (students), that's still $120k total for two sites. So people can and do pay big $ for software these days. The trick is you have to get into data-base-driven web application development.

Personally, when I code up little programs, I do it for my own pleasure and benefit first. If they prove useful to others (haven't so far), I release them under the strict GPLv2 or v3 license. I do this because it protects my ability to make money on my code, should someone decide it's worth using for commercial purposes, and secondly because it allows my code to, if people find it interesting, to have a life of its own even if I do nothing with it. Basically lets the code stay in an open state, bringing back to me any improvements other may make. Of course once I incorporate others' improvements, unless I have copyright assigned to me I lose my ability to to relicense the code for commercial purposes. But so far I've never had any code that was interesting to anyone.

But no matter how crummy the software, it's unethical to simply copy it rather than pay the asking price for it. Instead of pirate a copy, just make a project of it to develop your own program to do the same job. Much more satisfying.

Return to “Community Discussion”