FBC 1.00.0

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Lothar Schirm

Re: FBC 1.00.0

Post by Lothar Schirm »

I downloaded yesterday the FB 1.00.0 win64 zip-file, but this file contains only very few haeaders, in contrast to the 32 bit version. In particular, windows.bi is missing, so I cannot use FireFly or any other WinAPI stuff, and also code which includes fltk-c.bi produces a compiler error that fltk-c-1-3-2.dll is not compatible. With the 32 bit version (installer) everything works fine. Is the 64 bit version incomplete - only for tests or to play with the basic features of FB?
byroniac

Post by byroniac »

I'm also interested in this. I would like to learn and use FB for hobbyist programming. But I also want "windows.bi" for win64 as soon as it becomes available.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

Congratulations and thanks to all the developers who put so much time and effort into this fantastic compiler. Amazing work indeed. A great accomplishment. :-)
bfuller

Post by bfuller »

Congratulations. I'm still lurking every now and then.

When I first started with FreeBASIC and this Forum, I used to browse the Forum starting with Beginners, then General, then Tips & Tricks then Community Discussion. Now it is the other way, I start with Community Discussion, then Tips & Trick, then General and lastly Beginners.

My favourite is Hardware Interfaces / Communication but it doesn't see much traffic compared to the others.
St_W

Post by St_W »

Lothar Schirm wrote:I downloaded yesterday the FB 1.00.0 win64 zip-file, but this file contains only very few haeaders, in contrast to the 32 bit version. In particular, windows.bi is missing, so I cannot use FireFly or any other WinAPI stuff, and also code which includes fltk-c.bi produces a compiler error that fltk-c-1-3-2.dll is not compatible. With the 32 bit version (installer) everything works fine. Is the 64 bit version incomplete - only for tests or to play with the basic features of FB?
The majority of FreeBasic headers - including the windows headers - isn't ready for 64-bit yet, thus they are not included.
If you want to use the 64-bit version of FreeBasic you have to use 64-bit libraries - mixing a 64-bit executable with 32-bit libraries (and vice versa) is not possible. If you really need to do this one solution is to create a separate 32-bit process, which loads the 32-bit DLL and communicates with the 64-bit process e.g. via sockets/IPC/...
Additionally you also need 64-bit compatible header files. Most existing headers are not compatible because of different variable type sizes. If you want to translate a C header dkl's "fbfrog" tool can be used, which is already aware of 64-bit stuff.
Lothar Schirm

Post by Lothar Schirm »

St_W, thank you! No problem, the 32 bit version is quite enough for me.
Thanks to all developpers of FB!
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

bfuller wrote:Congratulations. I'm still lurking every now and then.

When I first started with FreeBASIC and this Forum, I used to browse the Forum starting with Beginners, then General, then Tips & Tricks then Community Discussion. Now it is the other way, I start with Community Discussion, then Tips & Trick, then General and lastly Beginners.

My favourite is Hardware Interfaces / Communication but it doesn't see much traffic compared to the others.
Well, if you didn't spend so much time bobbing about in the bleeding harbour you could get back to the keyboard.

Anyway, I'll bet you've never stuck that boat's nose outside of the fairway buoys since the day you bought it, or somebody gave it you.

Thank you, devs, for this milestone Freebasic version.
Landeel

Post by Landeel »

Congratulations on the new release!
Didn't have time to test it yet, but I'll try to recompile all my games in fbc 1.0 soon.
byroniac

Post by byroniac »

St_W wrote:The majority of FreeBasic headers - including the windows headers - isn't ready for 64-bit yet, thus they are not included.
I'm just excited that FreeBASIC has entered the 64-bit world. It has always been a great software tool from all appearances. I'm very thankful to the developers for not only keeping it alive but pouring so much energy and talent into it. I hope I can learn it and use it for my hobby projects (for now, I'll be forced to use win32, but I'm watching the win64 branch with interest). Again, kudos to all the developers.
dkl
Site Admin

Post by dkl »

Well, I have been (and still am) working on the fbfrog tool which hopefully will be useful for creating new 32bit/64bit-compatible bindings for the Windows API and others.

I guess, most likely, we can have new headers in Git in a few weeks. Of course it will be a lot of work to renew all of them (~1.5k files, 14MB code). And a new FB release in about 3 months with the new headers - that would be nice anyways.
FXG861

Post by FXG861 »

Version 1.00 ...
Congratulation to all the people involved in the development of freebasic since the last 10 years.

The compiler is good but the community and the support is as good or even better ;-)
I love to read those old thread when making a search for a solution Inside the forum.
We realize quickly how the product Evolved and the programming around it too.

In the 80's, i made some huge stuff under QB2 and QB3 and left the programming aside before the 90's
In 2009, i made a small come back and decided to proceed with FreeBasic.
In 2014, i am still using and enjoying it a lot.

My best wishes for at least another 10 years !!!
Mihail_B

Post by Mihail_B »

Good job FB team !
Love U all :)
Such a nice compiler ... i love it♥
caseih

Post by caseih »

Congratulations! This is great news. Thanks for all the hard work.

I downloaded the 64-bit linux version and it works well. One thing, though, is that is comes with none of the 3rd party library include files that the 32-bit version does. For example, GTK bindings. I copied GTK2 include files over from the 32-bit version, and they appear to work fine in 64-bit, linking against 64-bit GTK2 libraries. The demo code worked anyway. I imagine some or many of the library include files will have to be reworked for 64-bits, to match the 64-bit C structs. So this will take significant time. Any pointers on how to go about doing this? I imagine any of us can go through .h files and try to make the .bi match. But testing is another story!
HD_

Post by HD_ »

I had to log in to throw my congratulations ! Great work all who have kept it alive and pushing forward.

I haven't been around for a while, but I'm here and there doing my own thing. Would be good to make money making games.. one day..
TJF

Post by TJF »

caseih wrote:I copied GTK2 include files over from the 32-bit version, and they appear to work fine in 64-bit, linking against 64-bit GTK2 libraries. The demo code worked anyway.
They may compile and run, but they don't work properly.
caseih wrote:I imagine some or many of the library include files will have to be reworked for 64-bits, to match the 64-bit C structs. So this will take significant time. Any pointers on how to go about doing this? I imagine any of us can go through .h files and try to make the .bi match. But testing is another story!
Have a look at
(3.4 MBytes of header files, 64 bit ready, including GTK+[2,3] headers and examples)