What is everybody using now?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Dr_D

What is everybody using now?

Post by Dr_D »

I know for a time, FBIde was the big thing. Then came along FBEdit. That's the one I ended up using for most of my stuff. Anyway, the reason I'm wondering is because I have a friend at work who I think has the aptitude and the interest for programming. What better place to start? I was hoping to set him up with some kind of bundled installer... you know, compiler and IDE in one clean installer. When I first started, instant gratification was what kept me coming back and kept my desire to learn alive. Once you have a solid idea of how it works, that part is no longer important. That's why I'm sending him here. That's one of FreeBASIC's strongest features. I'll guide him through placing circles on the screen, drawing lines, etc... He's already proficient with high school math, so I'm sure he'll be making cool stuff in no time. Anyway, back to the point. Are there any packages floating around that I may have missed? I only found a few posts foretelling the demise of FBEdit and the like. Thanks guys and nice seeing ya! ;)

PS: Please don't let FBEdit die.
Roland Chastain

Re: What is everybody using now?

Post by Roland Chastain »

Hello Dr_D!

I hope I well understood your question. At FreeBASIC-Portal.de these two packages are available :
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Hey! Thanks for the quick reply, Roland! Are these downloads in English? My friend speaks only English.
rolliebollocks

Post by rolliebollocks »

I still use FBIDE but I do not require much in the way of a visual development environment it reminds me of programming in QB which has the nostalgia factor going for it. If you grab FBIDE you will need to update the CHM and you might as well update the compiler to .91 which has dynamic arrays in UDTs and so circumvents the need for tricky allocations of compound pointers.
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

I exclusively use FBEdit, but I think FireFly is good if your friend wants to develop Windows GUI apps and they don't have a good knowledge of the WinAPI.

Just my .02 dollars. :)

-Vince
Roland Chastain

Post by Roland Chastain »

Dr_D wrote:Hey! Thanks for the quick reply, Roland! Are these downloads in English? My friend speaks only English.
You're welcome! Indeed, one would have to change the IDE language in the options menu, and also to download separately the english help file.
MOD

Post by MOD »

These packages are build to help beginners. As we are mainly supporting german beginners I've configured them to this language. But you can simply change it in the options or the ini files. As far as I remember, the english help files are included, just change the link in the options.

There's also another package: FreeBASIC plus wxFBE