Preparing FB 0.24

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
dkl
Site Admin

Preparing FB 0.24

Postby dkl » Jul 20, 2012 20:15

Hello everyone,

it's about time we enter release-making mode. As far as publically visible changes go it's ready, besides the numerous half-finished bug fixes which we're constantly sitting on...

I'm planning to make FB 0.24 ready for release over the next week. I've been working on reverting some of my source tree layout and build system changes to make it look more like 0.23 again, because I feel like having gone a bit too far there, after during the last days I noticed that release-making hasn't gotten easier and compiling FB has gotten easier by using one makefile only, but also now pretty much strictly depends on that makefile, which sucks. So I'll fix that...

Besides that I'm going to look into making scripts to build the various release packages. For Linux I'm planning to create a statically-linked fbc which uses the musl libc, so far in my tests it seems to work nicely, resulting in an fbc ELF binary that runs everywhere, eliminating all the glibc versioning issues...

Another new thing is that we can make fbc packages for MinGW/DJGPP installations, i.e. packages that let you drop fbc into existing MinGW/DJGPP directories, as opposed to being installed separately. Nice for those that use MinGW and want fbc too.

For the normal FB-win32 package, I think we should use a newly built version of binutils, to replace the age-old one used since FB 0.1 (or similar...).

So that's what I'm up to, instead of working on bug fixes. Any comments, last-minute patches, or header updates -- please let me know.
petan

Re: Preparing FB 0.24

Postby petan » Jul 20, 2012 20:41

Great news!

Thx, Pete
Pritchard

Postby Pritchard » Jul 20, 2012 22:15

I have no complaints. Sincere appreciation for putting out the effort to keep things going.
roook_ph

Postby roook_ph » Jul 20, 2012 22:48

I think the new 0.23 is the easiest package yet , All I have to do is unzip it to any folder (like cellphone memory or USB flash) and freebasic runs on any windows PC without installing. Hope they don't change that.
vdecampo

Postby vdecampo » Jul 21, 2012 2:18

That is great news dkl! We all appreciate your efforts.

I do have a question tho. Can you verify that the threading issues with fbgfx have been addressed? I heard they were but I never saw an official bug report.

-Vince
AGS

Postby AGS » Jul 21, 2012 23:41

I've got two questions.

1. What is the deadline for sending in updated header files?
Do I have time to put out updates in time for the release? I want to contribute bindings for
--> PCRE as it now comes with a JIT (massive speed up of regex matching) and UTF16 support (interesting for win32 users?);
--> Allegro as the allegro header files that are in the repository are one of the few sets of header files and it's a big job to get them up-to-date.

PCRE is not a problem (small api) but allegro is a different story. I'd need at least until monday or tuesday to get those done.

2. What version of mingw should be used to create binaries (for external libraries?) that can be used by fbc programmers using the latest version of the fbc (0.24)? I am still using an oldy (mingw 3.4.5) and mingw is at version 4.7.x (I think?). I'm asking because the non - official fbc builds use a much newer version of mingw.

Looking forward to the new release!
VANYA

Postby VANYA » Jul 22, 2012 7:26

And who ever tested under the new headings GTK windows freebasic compilier 0.24?????????

I do not work.
fxm

Re:

Postby fxm » Jul 22, 2012 9:27

AGS wrote:2. What version of mingw should be used to create binaries (for external libraries?) that can be used by fbc programmers using the latest version of the fbc (0.24)? I am still using an oldy (mingw 3.4.5) and mingw is at version 4.7.x (I think?). I'm asking because the non - official fbc builds use a much newer version of mingw.

Yes, the git-Daily-Build under Windows at freebasic-portal.de is provided with mingw32 version 4.6.2.
Landeel

Postby Landeel » Jul 22, 2012 21:27

For Linux I'm planning to create a statically-linked fbc which uses the musl libc, so far in my tests it seems to work nicely, resulting in an fbc ELF binary that runs everywhere, eliminating all the glibc versioning issues...

I like that!
dkl
Site Admin

Postby dkl » Jul 22, 2012 22:52

vdecampo wrote:threading issues with fbgfx have been addressed?

Hmm no, I don't recall any threading-related changes to fbgfx, it's not thread-safe yet.

AGS wrote:1. What is the deadline for sending in updated header files?

after next weekend, probably

AGS wrote:2. What version of mingw

We can use the latest TDM-GCC version as done for the previous releases, it's configured differently (exception handling method, and other patches) compared to mingw.org's GCC, resulting in smaller binaries (due to smaller libgcc etc.). But it should still be binary compatible, at least for C code I suppose. Nevertheless I'm also planning to build an fbc package for the mingw.org toolchain, to let anyone use that if they prefer. If you want to be 100% compatible to the regular standalone FB-win32 package though, I suggest using TDM-GCC to be safe.
jcfuller

Postby jcfuller » Jul 23, 2012 10:02

Just a FWIW comment:
In case you are not familiar with this windows gcc library/tools package.
http://nuwen.net/mingw.html

I've tested it with some c++ coding and with bcx with few problems. I primarily use TDM as I occasionally code 64-bit apps and this packaged is 32-bit only.

This is a Microsoft employees personal web site.

I do not recommend installing to C:\MinGW if you have/use more than one MinGW version.

James
TJF

Postby TJF » Jul 23, 2012 12:52

VANYA wrote:And who ever tested under the new headings GTK windows freebasic compilier 0.24?????????

I do not work.

I don't get this. Can you explain what you mean?

Are you asking who tested GTK+ headers of FB 0.24 on win32? Which version, GTK+2.x or GTK+3.x?
VANYA

Postby VANYA » Jul 23, 2012 14:19

TJF wrote:
VANYA wrote:And who ever tested under the new headings GTK windows freebasic compilier 0.24?????????

I do not work.

I don't get this. Can you explain what you mean?

Are you asking who tested GTK+ headers of FB 0.24 on win32? Which version, GTK+2.x or GTK+3.x?

In Build not one example not start. Although version 0.23 runs ~ 90% of the examples. Try to put a zero latest GTK and FreeBasic build a fresh system (example on the VirtualBox) and you will understand what I mean. I wrote to you earlier about the error, but then you said you would not have tried at 0.24

If it does not change, but I and many others have put the old headers to use GTK 0.24 or use the version 0.23
TJF

Postby TJF » Jul 23, 2012 19:21

VANYA wrote:In Build not one example not start. Although version 0.23 runs ~ 90% of the examples. Try to put a zero latest GTK and FreeBasic build a fresh system (example on the VirtualBox) and you will understand what I mean. I wrote to you earlier about the error, but then you said you would not have tried at 0.24

I just downloaded FreeBASIC-win32-git-20120723.zip and installed it. I tested some examples (win XP SP2, GTK+ 2.24.8 and GTK+ 3.0.9). No trouble at all, they compile and run as expected (as under fbc 0.23).

So I still don't understand what you're talking about. (Try to explain your issue if you want help.)

BTW:

Your (nearly) last post on this topic:

VANYA wrote:...
Everything was normal. There are examples (not yours) that do not work.
Your examples work and are very helpful, thank you.

I'm pretty surprised about your posts here !?!
TJF

Postby TJF » Jul 23, 2012 19:55

I think now I understand VANYA's issue:

The examples do not compile out-of-the-box. The linker cannot find some of the new import libraries since they are missing in the FreeBASIC/lib subfolder. Ie

libgtk-3.dll.a
    libgdk-3.dll.a
    libgio-2.0.dll.a
    libpangocairo-1.0.dll.a

@dkl

Please make sure to copy all import libraries to the lib subfolder. (The current GTK version is 3.4. Instead of 3.0 (from my binary package) we may add the newest version. I try to update the GTK+3 headers to 3.4 untill next weekend.)

Return to “Community Discussion”