Basic Gaming issue #5, calling for submissions

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Lachie Dazdarian

Basic Gaming issue #5, calling for submissions

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Feb 29, 2012 22:19

The planned release date for BASIC Gaming issue #5 is closing (in about two weeks), and this time I'm asking anyone interested to do a small game dev oriented article/tutorial/review to step up. Same goes for non-padding, non-spam project dev blogs/diaries.

I'm loosing steam and inspirations to continue releasing "full-size" issues and I fear if the lack of any contributions continues, BASIC Gaming will slowly shrink and end up being a newsletter. Hopefully, I'll manage alone for this not to happen, but you can help reduce this chance.

Thanks in advance!
TESLACOIL

Re: Basic Gaming issue #5, calling for submissions

Postby TESLACOIL » Mar 03, 2012 6:09

where can i get an issue ?

to be honest ive not even read a single one. Information overload + goggle search is prolly killing interest.

Maybe it should be a gossip column lol , inside news & stories, something i wont stumble on otherwise.

Today everyone is their own publisher. I have half a dozen websites up right now and have had close to 100 over the years on one topic or another.
Toms Hardware is a good source for news.
a tad advert heavy , but well above average news and reviews
http://www.tomshardware.com/

Benchmarks & Utility ( with screen shots )
http://asimov1.wikispaces.com/Download+Benchmarks

Suggestion , include Fritz bench in the mag and get readers to send in their results.

think utility +truth + interaction + feedback = worth your effort

crazy as it sounds if i have to do 10 sequential clicks to locate download & unzip a zip file its 9 clicks to many in this day and age. I hate PDF files with a passion. 10 second delay, switching to a new interface , pain in the butt to scroll, zoom cut n paste etc etc etc This is the reality of the modern age. If i ever meet mr pdf ill shoot him on the spot.

FAFNAV + KISS = FUD/10 = FTW (fast as fook navigating+keep it simple stupid reduces fear uncertainty and doubt = for the win

It is likely that programmers have a genetic or personal disposition for 'oceans of text', however thats not how 99% of humanity sees or understand the world. Im am very observant of small but critical details. I see the bugs in reality and peoples perceptions of that reality.....that why im a designer first and a programmer second. The architect not the brick layer.
TESLACOIL

Postby TESLACOIL » Mar 03, 2012 13:20

Competition Idea

Chess engine wars > The best chess engine from each Basic language dukeing it out

Freebasic community efforts vs the Qbasic homo's vs whatever basic etc

Maybe community leaders chip in a cash prize or something, i dunno win a CPU, that would be cool especially if it was a quadcore or better. Allow plenty of time for each community to get their program together. A couple of months. The game could be played live, plenty of internet chess rooms

I think this could work really well.

You end up with a definitive product, 1 or more chess GUI's and a multitude of engines. If its a language vs language battle then there will be perhaps half a dozen or more team members from each language getting involved. That will create a bit of a buzz.
Lachie Dazdarian

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Mar 03, 2012 20:06

So who will organize this, compile the rules, promote the competition, animate the community, follow it, wrap it up, set a panel of judges, compile the final results, provide the cash award?
TESLACOIL

Postby TESLACOIL » Mar 03, 2012 21:08

You can put an ask in the Magazine , see what level of interest there is out there

It wont hurt to float the idea. I can spare the time to organise a chess match, i can post rules on my wiki etc

Just need 1 chess engine from each Basic community and you have your competition. Even it it was just FB verses QB it would be fun

If the winning team is feeling brave they can take on the might of the ASIMOV1 network
http://asimov1.wikispaces.com/Queen+Odd ... V1+Network
Destructosoft

Postby Destructosoft » Mar 11, 2012 4:50

Though I adore Basic Gaming, I understand about the difficulty in getting enough content into an issue. I wouldn't mind if you changed it into a blog or series of articles.

Right now, for example, the 7DRL is going on. Probably not going to have many entries in FB this year though.
http://www.roguetemple.com/2012/03/09/t ... -starting/

If/when the above event gets mentioned in Basic Gaming #5, it would be over already. As a blog entry, it would be UP already and a nice alert for those interested.
Lachie Dazdarian

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Mar 12, 2012 20:48

I postponing the release of issue #5 for few days, most realistically for 17th (Saturday). I was reluctant to do this because I didn't want to break two months period between two issues, but now I see I can't make it sooner due professional and personal obligations. I wasn't home this weekend and no way I can complete the magazine today. So if you had submissions in plan, you now have more time to finish them. Thank you for understanding.

Return to “Community Discussion”