Where can I get a Recent-Git-Build of FreeBASIC?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
St_W

Re: Where can I get a Recent-Git-Build of FreeBASIC?

Post by St_W »

Small updates to the CI server:

Fixed the unit tests evaluation after some breaking changes have been applied to the build scripts as discussed in this thread:
https://freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26264

Still haven't switched the GIT repos from sourceforge to GitHub, but I'm strongly considering it as the repos are synced only very irregularly recently.
fxm

Post by fxm »

@admin
Is the "code" tab of the "https://sourceforge.net/projects/fbc/" page permanently emptied, or is that only transient?
(only "https://github.com/freebasic/fbc" now?)
The remaining 8 tabs will remain valid?
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

Hmm, for some reason the emscripten branch works, but the master branch seems to be invalid.. Maybe another push to master would fix it..
I can't remember which one is our official repo at the moment. But I don't think we're planning on dropping SourceForge, since our downloads are hosted there.
dkl
Site Admin

Post by dkl »

Looks like "refreshing the repository" (sf.net/p/fbc - Code - Admin - Code - Refresh Repository) fixed it.
fxm

Post by fxm »

Thank you.
St_W

Post by St_W »

St_W wrote:Still haven't switched the GIT repos from sourceforge to GitHub, but I'm strongly considering it as the repos are synced only very irregularly recently.
I've changed the repo URL from "git://git.code.sf.net/p/fbc/code" to "https://github.com/freebasic/fbc.git" now. Unfortunately that change broke the git-change-detection, so there are no entries in the changelog for the most recent builds, which will be uploaded tonight. I hope that this will affect only the first build and will work again for future updates of the GIT repo - let's see ... [edit]yes, it seems to work again[/edit]

I also had to update the git version on the XP machine used for the DOS build in order to work with GitHub.
fxm

Post by fxm »

Thank you.

But a small problem remains:
Sometimes, like today for example, a documentation update does not trigger the generation of a .chm file.
St_W

Post by St_W »

fxm wrote:But a small problem remains:
Sometimes, like today for example, a documentation update does not trigger the generation of a .chm file.
hm, I fear that I can't do a lot about this except building the documentation each night regardless of any (detected) changes.
The change detection works by fetching the Wiki's RSS feed (https://freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.php?wa ... hanges.xml) and checking whether the publicationDate of the first entry changed since the last time the RSS feed has been fetched. The feed is currently fetched once a day at 3:00 in the morning. It seems that the previous RSS feed is only saved in memory (by the Jenkins plugin I'm using), so if I restart the PC or the Server application (e.g. due to updates) documentation changes that happend on that day will be missed.

thanks @coderJeff for cleaning up the testsuite names, the test results look fine again :-)
Roland Chastain

Post by Roland Chastain »

@St_W

Thank you for the new build. I am currently testing it.

Where do you recommend to take the missing .bi files? In FBC 1.05.0 or elsewhere?
Roland Chastain

Post by Roland Chastain »

Sorry, I have just seen freebasic_additional_headers.zip in your directory.
St_W

Post by St_W »

@deltarho[1859] and others: after your suggestion to update the gcc version (see https://freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 38#p248038) I've installed a current version of gcc, version 8.1.0 from the mingw-w64 project and build a custom FreeBasic package for both win32 and win64 for testing purposes. These can be downloaded here:
http://users.freebasic-portal.de/stw/bu ... gcc810.zip
http://users.freebasic-portal.de/stw/bu ... gcc810.zip

I did just check whether the fbc builds can compile a simple test application, more extensive tests are still on my todo list. If no problems are detected (please report any problems you encounter with the two custom builds above) I'll change the automated build configuration to use gcc 8.1.0 instead of gcc 4.9.0 (x86) / 4.8.2 (x64).

gcc 8.1.0 is included in both packages (win32 and win64).
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Blimey, this is a hairy business. A lot of files had to be moved over from the original folders to the new ones. Mind you St_W's work would have been a lot hairier for me. I updated Paul's WinFBE_Suite.

Anyway, this is what I got in The WinFBE thread

Code: Select all

1.05   1.06
32 152064 153600
64 153600 147456
and here are the 8.1.0 figures

Code: Select all

32        149504
64        156160
So, the 32 binaries are smaller and the 64 bit binaries are larger.

It may be a while to do speed tests.

Thanks, St_W. - 8.1.0 plus 1.06 has to be good.

The fact that I can quote binary sizes is a giveaway that the compiles were OK. The source is not very big - 1072 lines.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Initial speeds indicate the new set up are slower for both 32 bit and 64 bit. The 64 bit is about 20% slower than my previous FB64 1.06. I didn't have that until Paul's WinFBE_Suite prior to which I only had FB32/64 1.05 and FB64 1.05.

Other folk need to come in and do some testing. I am a rank amateur at this so I may have done something wrong.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Yours truly wrote:The 64 bit is about 20% slower than my previous FB64 1.06.
Is fake news.

Last Sunday morning I had FB32/64 1.05 and FB32 1.06. FB64 1.06 was on my to do list, I have little use for 64 bit.

Early on Sunday I downloaded Paul Squires' WinFBE_Suite which is 1.06 based so I now had FB64 1.06.

I was surprised at how small the FB64 binaries were and the performance was pretty much the same as earlier binaries of my latest project. In fact seven runs on my benchmark gave a median of 816ms. I sent a copy in the afternoon, to a friend who is beta testing for me.

Later that day St_W published some packages including gcc 8.1.0. I was disappointed to see a drop in performance especially with FB64 coming in at about 1000ms. This is where I get the 20% slower from.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I weas unable to get back the 816ms that I had seen. I even resorted to ripping out the exe from the email I sent earlier. That too was coming in at about 1000ms.

Task Manager told me that there was nothing running that I was not aware of. However, I could have something on board upsetting the apple cart which does not consume much CPU time so I did a malware scan and an anti-virus scan but came up clean.

At the moment there does not appear to be a marked difference between gcc 5.2.0 and 8.1.0 performance-wise but we cannot draw any conclusions from one application.

God only knows where that 816ms came from. I always reckon that within ±7% in timings is not enough to make judgements but 20% should mean something is going on.

I now have WinFBE5 and WinFBE8 on my Start menu: The first one will load WinFBE32 using gcc 5.2.0 and the second one will load WinFBE32 using gcc 8.1.0. During this comimg week I shall kick both around and see what happens.

Sorry about the fake news. My PC makes a fool out of me at least once a week. My beta tester has had more grief this year than he can remember. We both blame Windows 10. In my experience Windows 7 never put a foot wrong. To me Windows 10 is 'wall to wall' bloat.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

One of the most frustating aspects of WinFBE is the Compiler Results message box which gives no indication of an issue. For example, an assembler failure will actually show File Size: 0 which we could easily not spot. What happens is the previous compile is still intact and that gets used. I first noticed this after a large edit which appeared to have been totally ignored.

What I am now getting is an apparent success according to the Compiler Results but the Compiler log file told me otherwise. To add insult to injury I had to open the output window to find CreateProcees was not found. I got an application output but that was having used the previous compile; done with gcc 5.2.0. It was gcc 8.1.0 that failed. I spotted this when I realised that the file sizes for 8.1.0 were identical to 5.2.0. I should say the file size had not changed because no compile actually occured.

To get told in front of us without having to mess about is to use poseidonFB. We get a message box advising a failure and an error: "gcc.exe: error: CreateProcess: No such file or directory.

I have mentioned this compile failure 'stealth mode' of WinFBE a couple of times. I am sorry Paul but I cannot work like this and will switch to poseidonFB until WinFBE reports failures in front of me and does not hide them and have Compiler Results indicate all is well.

gcc 8.1.0 32 is failing in both WinFBE and poseidonFB - I am getting the CreateProcess error.