Steve Jobs R.I.P. @ 56

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
darkhog

Postby darkhog » Oct 17, 2011 8:09

Władimir, that's not funny, y'know? Anyway if we are in that kind of jokes, I don't think there are Jobs in apple anymore.
integer

Postby integer » Oct 17, 2011 16:41

@dodicat/Master

Excellent post.
roook_ph

Postby roook_ph » Oct 19, 2011 12:33

Steve Jobs and his gregarious personality sucks, Even near his death he sermons people on how you must die and stuff you must do.

Rich Punks!

Well he can not bring any of those as consolation.
Mihail_B

Postby Mihail_B » Oct 19, 2011 14:38

... Don't no much about ... steve-jobs-fy .... [tra-la-la]
But I do' know that apples cost so much .... $$$$

Some people spent their night in the streets to pay 1000s of $$$$
for some apples .... - they probably regret the RIP of Steve Jobs ... but thats ... life ...

Well Steve .... RIP. Obama is keep on saying : we need more Jobs ...[it was not enough one they want more]

As about apples ... they cost too much ... $$$$ .... at least 3 zeros before the [x]$ .... way too much ... with this money you can get a super x86 PC ... and rock [ (or techno) ....]
relsoft

Postby relsoft » Oct 20, 2011 5:17

We are coders and I see two pages of Steve Jobs and 0 replies for Denis Ritchie. :*(
joseywales72

Postby joseywales72 » Oct 20, 2011 8:07

We are coders and I see two pages of Steve Jobs and 0 replies for Denis Ritchie. :*(

Spot on.
It seems that we are consumers more than anything nowadays and he was one of the new gods (or prophets)
In Facebook many of my friends changed their profile pictures with Apple logos etc. When I shared a page about the deeds of Dennis Ritchie, none of Apple fanboys (many young people) said a thing, but only old leftist farts like me had something to say on it.
I share your disappointment even I'm not one percent a coder than most of the people here.
Anyway, sorry for probable mistakes.
jevans4949

Postby jevans4949 » Oct 20, 2011 8:20

Jobs was a successful and famous businessman, so everybody has an opinion on him.

Ritchie was a co-inventor of Unix and C, but apart from that (with all due respect) what did he achieve? It was other people who developed his work (and profited from it). Torvalds (may he live long and prosper) might gain more attention, but probably wouldn't take up asmuch time in the popular news channels.
Lachie Dazdarian

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Oct 20, 2011 13:53

Not a C or UNIX user so really didn't have anything to say on Ritchie. I did felt a need to comment something on Jobs, so I wouldn't say the number of posts in this thread represents the amount of admiration he has from us...overall.

With all do respect to his successes as a businessman and manager, I fail to comprehend why so many people consider him a personal hero...unless they are to marketing graduate.
joseywales72

Postby joseywales72 » Oct 21, 2011 7:26

If I had been offensive about the subject, please be aware that, that was not my intention. I just share relsoft's opinion and my personal experience on social networks especially Facebook.
With all do respect to his successes as a businessman and manager, I fail to comprehend why so many people consider him a personal hero...unless they are to marketing graduate.

Exactly my point.
marcov

Postby marcov » Oct 21, 2011 8:09

relsoft wrote:We are coders and I see two pages of Steve Jobs and 0 replies for Denis Ritchie. :*(

Well, Jobs was a Pascal programmer, and Ritchie a C programmer.

+1 for Jobs :-)

If you see it like that, FB probably should keep tabs on Gates, he is the quintessential Basic programmer :-)

If he hadn't kept Basic alive on MS systems, Basic would probably be dead by now.
dodicat

Postby dodicat » Oct 21, 2011 12:19

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:...

The older you get, the less heros you have, they fall away like dead lice.
Glory becomes a glowworm, the closer you look at it, the dimmer it gets.

We can see all around us the result of marketing graduates.

Basic and Pascal were first written in Fortran, but they both have survived well thanks to the communities and users.
Software for commerce would be, in my opinion, the most important aspect of a programming language's survival.

Basic still has the "beginners" appeal so it is still alive, so with Pascal, but Pascal has moved into commerce.

Dennis Ritchie's C of course has superceded all these old languages, so in reality we could all wipe the slate and do our stuff in C until computers mutate and need something else.
But we must all hope to cross the 2012 armageddon first, and for those of us who have no heros left, we look for the last glimmer of the glowworm.
roook_ph

Postby roook_ph » Oct 21, 2011 13:42

Fortran was used to program basic and Pascal? I thought Assembler and machine language was used to code those. I tried fortran a long time ago and it was a high level language with just as many commands as old basic language. There are still heroes out there . Unfortunately those who talks too much or dictates what must be used or do , I consider them villains.
marcov

Postby marcov » Oct 21, 2011 14:08

dodicat wrote:
Basic and Pascal were first written in Fortran, but they both have survived well thanks to the communities and users.

Pascal was afaik first written in Algol-W, which was a counter proposal against what would become Algol-68 in time.

Software for commerce would be, in my opinion, the most important aspect of a programming language's survival.

Not necessarily. Except for a few entrenched languages like Cobol, the memory of business is relative short.

Basic still has the "beginners" appeal so it is still alive,
so with Pascal, but Pascal has moved into commerce.

I think it is more that they had installed base (qbasic,turbo pascal) and vendors big enough (resp. Microsoft and Borland) to keep them alive.

Dennis Ritchie's C of course has superceded all these old languages,

Depends on taste and superceded in "what".
Mihail_B

Postby Mihail_B » Oct 21, 2011 15:20

Guys ... maybe it's too much fight for nothing ...

c/c++, pascal, basic, java, assember at&t/intel (nasm, fasm, masm, tasm, nbasm, z80asm, ...), csharp, fortran, algol, sql, css, html, php, batch, ... [and the list goes on] .... are only the names of some syntaxes... shareing commons and differences ...

They are all [programming languange]s ...

If you'll remeber your [compilers] univ course ... things will ... calm down ...

see yaa ...
have fun :)
vladimir777

Postby vladimir777 » Oct 22, 2011 19:53

"People likes Steve more", you may say

But that is proof that whole system sucks!

One day people may choose this:
http://blogs-images.forbes.com/haydnsha ... ots-25.jpg

10000 Jobs - wouldnot help that day ...

Not angry, just curious

Return to “Community Discussion”