What are the benefits in using FreeBasic ?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
BasicCoder2

What are the benefits in using FreeBasic ?

Post by BasicCoder2 »

TESLACOIL wrote: That is to say approx one million programmers are missing out on the genuine benefits FreeBASIC has to offer.
What are the benefits in using FreeBasic over say C++ ?

JohnC
Last edited by BasicCoder2 on Oct 05, 2011 6:10, edited 4 times in total.
pestery

Post by pestery »

Its easier to use than C or C++ for people who have never had any formal training in programming, like me :-)

Admittedly for creating a Windows (or Linux) interface it has nothing itself, but there are other well written programs for that, like glade2bas or whatever its called. FbEdit also has an inbuilt thing for generating Windows interfaces.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

BASIC syntax makes prototyping non-business applications easy. FreeBASIC is great for the creative programmer who codes because he wants to. Thanks to this forum, I started off in the top of my Software Engineering classes and have remained there since.

That being said, there are no benefits of knowing only FreeBASIC. A good programmer can demonstrate proficiency in a new language or development environment within a couple weeks.
Sebastian

Post by Sebastian »

FreeBASIC offers very easy to use and platform independent graphics functions. Its gfxlib is a big plus in my opinion.
Coolman

Post by Coolman »

1 / simplicity
2 / speed development
3 / opensource multiplatform language
4 / performance (nothing to envy to c)

I tried the C & C++, I made some simple utilities, it took me three times longer than if I used the basic language, more when I wanted to make a change in the source code of a of my programs, it took me a long time to reexamine all ...

my conclusion is, it's not for me to adapt a language or syntax absurd and complicated, the basic meets my criteria, I have used several as QuickBASIC, turbobasic, BCX, PureBasic, and now FreeBasic...

I have used other languages ​​for the job but are pros rads (windev, foxpro, dbase) ...
aurelVZAB

Post by aurelVZAB »

When i want made quickly native windows GUI application i never use
Freebasic - it is hard like C/C++
So i use for this PureBasic,EBasic.
When i want simple app i like to use Free Basic.
Coolman

Post by Coolman »

aurelVZAB wrote:When i want made quickly native windows GUI application i never use
Freebasic - it is hard like C/C++
So i use for this PureBasic,EBasic.
When i want simple app i like to use Free Basic.
look here :

http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15796

and

http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17058
TESLACOIL

Post by TESLACOIL »

for me

Continuation of the learning curve

I learned basic way back , so i see FreeBASIC as BBC/QBasic +

readability of the code ( hate the 'c brackets' stuff etc )

the clean simple Fbide was the 'deciding / encouraging factor'
After loading c# bloatware and other crapware whose utility was obscured during early encounters. No Fbide = gone elsewhere

freedom/option to write scrappy code , goto's / unstructured style

my choice , i like to be in control if & when i want take the helm

speed reasonable speed of code execution

minimum speed that i specifically required or i would have opted for python any day of the week ( python mainstream= huge plus+readable- slow

compatibility with windows xp

essential that it be compatible with current as well as future windows

The main thing that weighs very strongly against FreeBASIC is the fact that it is not an established mainstream language & it has a very weak supporting ecosystem. There are literally 1000s of forums / websites / video tutorials / printed books dedicated to C or python. For a complete newbie Python makes most sense. For career programmers looking for a second language Freebasic is either off the radar or too obscure.

When utility is = What separates the winners from losers is the size & quality of the community & supporting ecosystem.