Guys, It doesnot work this way

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

[deleted]
Last edited by BasicCoder2 on Sep 23, 2011 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
vladimir777

Post by vladimir777 »

In the beginning it can be just a simple FTP site with directory structure

Everybody can download but just "selected individuals" will have paswords to upload and edit.

LIKE THIS:
http://ftp.cac.psu.edu/genealogy/INDEX.html

http://ftp.aset.psu.edu/genealogy/gedcom55/
Last edited by vladimir777 on Sep 22, 2011 22:01, edited 2 times in total.
vladimir777

Post by vladimir777 »

Does not matter what language you speak any file should be accepted

Comments can be in any language.

HILFE or HELP
SAVE or SPAREN whatever
Sebastian

Post by Sebastian »

TJF wrote:Unfortunatelly I have no conception of websiting.

What about you, Sebastian? Some new features (binary download, user comments) and some (additional) english pages at your website and we're done. You're the man !
Hey, I really feel honored to just nominated by you! :-)

I'd love to develop a platform similar to our FB-portal for the international FB community! But at the moment, I'm quite out of time, unfortunately. It's mainly to due to my exams... So if at all, it won't be possible quickly.

Moreover, I work on integrating our old phpBB forum system into FBP using a "tight-fitting" custom developed message board software :-). At the moment this is the project I work on in my meager free time... ;-)
I believe the web site will be even more interesting and helpful as soon as this project will be finished. ^^ When finished, this approach will allow starting forum discussions directly at the bottom of code sample entries, tutorial pages, etc.
vladimir777 wrote:In the beginning it can be just a simple FTP site with directory structure

Everybody can download but just "selected individuals" will have paswords to upload and edit.
The FreeBASIC-Portal hosts an SVN repository server. I could easily set up a repository with anonymous read access for all (accessible by HTTP using any web browser) and commit/write privileges for a few users having passwords.
The SVN approach would be similar to your idea but it would allow versioning and logging of changes.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

This thread is the reason I made this thread and also the reason I put the translation capabilities in a thick red oval.

Although, there still remains the issue of contribution. It'd be rude of us to start contributing English-source and bigotry to the highly superior FreeBASIC-Portal. Sounds like a problem for translation engines to solve - recognize the syntax of a programming language, not just a natural language, and translate comments/identifier names whenever possible.

You think information sharing is a big deal now? Implement features like that and you're moving humanity forward by leaps and bounds.
roook_ph

Post by roook_ph »

I have tried GTK and I do not find any use for it, Its like a language on its own . Though some people might have use for it only 20% of people here actually use it . Maybe less
marcov

Post by marcov »

TJF wrote:
marcov wrote:But the website is IMHO the last link in the chain, not the first.
IMHO this is the next step. We have allready lots of stuff to fill a website.

I meant not content generation, but setting up a way to assure that the examples work.

So a repository with all examples (and a separate description file) from which the website is generated.

Then you can test the repository now and then if it is correct. Having examples that don't compile/work makes the uncertainty for beginners worse instead of better.
TJF

Post by TJF »

Then you can test the repository now and then if it is correct. Having examples that don't compile/work makes the uncertainty for beginners worse instead of better.
Nice idea. When you'll start? (BTW: I learned more from fixed bugs than from running examples. A forum should be connected to the example pages - as Sebastian mentioned above.)
roook_ph wrote:I have tried GTK and I do not find any use for it, Its like a language on its own . Though some people might have use for it only 20% of people here actually use it . Maybe less
Which version did you try? And what kind of tasks are you speaking of?

For me there is not a single session without using any library feature form the GTK family (GTK / GLib / GIO / Cairo / ATK / GDK / libart / libintl / ...).

And obviously I'm not the only one. Some weeks ago I found out: GTK+tobac has more downloads than eodors win-gui (allthough its shorter avialable).
marcov

Post by marcov »

TJF wrote:
Nice idea. When you'll start?
When I'm ready with my current projects. ( :-) )
(BTW: I learned more from fixed bugs than from running examples.
Me too. But of course that only applies for the projects I bother to study long enough.

Better reserve that philosophy for the intermediate examples instead of the beginner ones.
A forum should be connected to the example pages - as Sebastian mentioned above.)
That is certainly nice, but them being correct is IMHO the more important bit
dkl
Site Admin

Post by dkl »

This is something I'd like to work on too. I still think we can't redo third-party library documentation, and in many cases a small example to get you started is enough, with the rest becoming clear by looking at the third-party documentation.

I think the best thing we can do is to extend the FB wiki (as if this was the first time this problem came up!) into this direction. The wiki already nicely translates into website and CHM (and other) help files, and it has a tool to extract code snippets for test compilation too.
vladimir777

Post by vladimir777 »

DKL said:
extend the FB wiki
-----------------
That is OK as a "final product". 10 or 20 ppl works on FB wiki, but there is 1000 of us that can contribute with a small examples.

First we have to create something (just a simple FTP?) so we are all able to upload small examples on pile by category: GTK, SDL, WINAPI, etc

And whoever is working on WIKI page will get whole bunch of material to start with, then

From time to time I play with GTK, and I am visiting http://www.gtkforums.com/ and translating C examples

>> and in many cases a small example to get you started is enough <<
I AGREE! but two small examples are better, and 3 even better
And we have them on our disks ...