Guys, It doesnot work this way

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
vladimir777

Guys, It doesnot work this way

Postby vladimir777 » Sep 20, 2011 19:10

FB is good, there is some good wrappers for different libs, but examples for each are poor

We have to open new main topic: CODE SNIPPETS FOR LIBRARIES, and it should be broken into subcategories, and even into sub sub categories.
That is how we can collect more samples.

FB is not supported by main corporation like MSFT, so it is not possible to run into book store and buy 3 books: "GTK programming in FreeBasic"
MOD

Postby MOD » Sep 20, 2011 19:23

Most libs are written with C or made to be used with C and most examples are written in C too. FreeBASIC has a good but small community compared to C or Java etc.

We have a lot of examples, especially TJF has done lots of coding with GTK and most of it (if not everything) is open source. If you need more examples, you have to learn reading C source and translating it to FB.
vladimir777

Postby vladimir777 » Sep 20, 2011 20:13

I work in QT,C++, and I will stick with it for now
joseywales72

Postby joseywales72 » Sep 21, 2011 6:53

I second Vladimir's proposal. There are a lot of good examples here in the forum, but scattered in a lot of different threads.

If some subforums could be created under tips&tricks section for libraries, such as subforums for gui libs, 3d libs, imaging libs, gaming algorithm libs, util libs etc... it would be neat and proper.

In time, people (myself included) may sift through the forum and find and test and repost such examples under the corresponding title.

Anyway, just my thoughts and sorry for possible mistakes. Not a native speaker.
Anil
badidea

Postby badidea » Sep 21, 2011 11:12

Maybe a Wiki is the right tool for this.

Current information on GTK in the FreeBASIC Wiki:

GTK+, The GIMP ToolKit
Cross-platform Graphical User Interface library

Platforms supported: Win32, Linux
Headers to include: gtk/gtk.bi
Example Usage: yes, in examples/libraries/Gtk/

Not so much.
marcov

Postby marcov » Sep 21, 2011 11:55

I would not use a documentation format as wiki or forum.

The problem is with a website centric approach os that you can't simply check with some future version (of compiler or libs) that the examples still compiler and work. (working can't be checked for all examples, but at least cmdline batch tools can be checked)

Outdated examples that don't compile or work only confuse the beginner more!

All it takes is somebody setting up some account at some free project site (sf.net, github, google code, MS codeplex), and start collecting, with some metadata (e.g. in the comments of the examples) for which OSes they are meant.

A simple tool can then walk all examples, collect the metadata and generate a makefile to build them all, and log the result.

Start improving the number of examples, the metadata and docs describing them, and keep them up to date.

Then you can consider generating a bunch of static pages from them and regularly upload them somewhere.

But the website is IMHO the last link in the chain, not the first.
Last edited by marcov on Sep 21, 2011 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
TJF

Postby TJF » Sep 21, 2011 13:11

I like the idea of having a place where to upload new examples (allthough I like to use the well structured german website ATM). But such a site is not that easy. Libraries will be updated from time to time. On windows the user of a new example needs DLL updates. (On LINUX they will come with the next distro.)

So I think if a new site/subsite will be created it should have
  • a first page with some links to category pages.
  • The category pages should cover the example pages in a table with information about the example name, compatible OSs and versions, a short description, an image and a link to the final page.
  • On the final pages I like to see a detailed despription of the example, maybe more images, the source code (or an external link, ie to the german website), links to further information and some download links to get the demanded binaries (.DLL/.so).
Short, it should be as good as the german site and hoprfully a bit better.

If every author of a Tips and Tricks topic (library related) adds his example to this website, we'll have a great pool to start with. But this needs a bit of moderation to get a well structured tree. And a good search function will help a lot.
badidea

Postby badidea » Sep 21, 2011 20:58

I guess, we all should learn German.
That web-site is better in looks and structure.
roook_ph

Postby roook_ph » Sep 22, 2011 10:21

I dont understand why you would want to samples of gtk in freebasic. If the developers where all that organized fb would end up like another daphne very strict yet very unusable .. I like it like this. Life is like a box of chocolate approach
TJF

Postby TJF » Sep 22, 2011 17:02

roook_ph wrote:I dont understand why you would want to samples of gtk in freebasic. If the developers where all that organized fb would end up like another daphne very strict yet very unusable .. I like it like this. Life is like a box of chocolate approach

I don't understand why you're concerned about your choclate box. GTK is a library, FreeBasic is a compiler that can use it. Both are separate projects, today and in future.

Here I'm talking about libraries in general. GTK is just a placeholder that can be replaced by OpenGL, SQL, wx-widgets or whatever you want.

It seems that just a few users check the examples folder in the FB-distro. And they wont find a description or screencopy there. I think it's helpful for beginners to find some well described examples at the website. This may replace the examples folder in near future and will release the developers from a duty. At the website all of us can keep the examples up-to-date and extend the pool continuously.

marcov wrote:But the website is IMHO the last link in the chain, not the first.

IMHO this is the next step. We have allready lots of stuff to fill a website.

Postby 1000101 » Sep 22, 2011 18:50

I agree that a larger, well organized reference for third party libraries would be advantageous to freebasic as a whole however, I don't think that the main support forum is the place for it. It would be better suited for a sister site which is dedicated to larger support topics such as game programming has a sub-forum which is not specific to any project and there is a sister site for fb games. It is not the responsibility of the freebasic developers and thus the projects website to support third party libraries and therefore they/it should not even try. I welcome the idea of a site which is designed for support for third party libraries though, it would be an invaluable resource to have community added examples and code ports.
Lachie Dazdarian

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Sep 22, 2011 19:33

I don't want to hide behind my website, but really, an individual from the community should step up and dedicate several hours per month (maybe a bit more in the beginning) to manage such a site. If nobody appears and shows interest in such activity (and does not expect pampering and taps on the back), I doubt something will happen by itself.
TJF

Postby TJF » Sep 22, 2011 19:48

Unfortunatelly I have no conception of websiting.

What about you, Sebastian? Some new features (binary download, user comments) and some (additional) english pages at your website and we're done. You're the man !
AGS

Postby AGS » Sep 22, 2011 20:54

@vladimir77

Infidel! Thou shalt not mention the language that bears the name that starts with the letter C and ends with two characters which shall remain unwritten. Be gone, infidel!

Return to “Community Discussion”