GUI applications

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
scottmcardle
Posts: 8
Joined: Jan 05, 2017 17:11

Re:

Postby scottmcardle » Jan 13, 2017 19:00

TJF wrote:
mee wrote:Am I correct in saying that it does not provide an environment similar to Visual Basic?

Yes, thankfully there is no similar environment.

As mentioned in previous posts FreeBasic can be used with several GUI toolkits. At the beginning it isn't easy to find the right one matching your needs.

mee wrote:If so, how does one develop business applications with input fields, click boxes and so forth?

I do cross-platform business apps for windows and LINUX. I'm using
Find some screenshots here and here or see german and english GUI of GaldeToBac on different OSs.



thanks for this information, ive now read up on these toolkits... very interesting stuff...

i am on windows, it this a practical selection of tools to be using on that platform?

i notice difficulty getting the latest releases on windows, i started looking at installing gtk+ via MSYS and have updated the repos etc and using pacman ive got a list of the GTK installers, but glade im getting lost on and also people talk about developing under MSYS.

any pointers?

thanks
scott
TJF
Posts: 3473
Joined: Dec 06, 2009 22:27
Location: N47°, E15°
Contact:

Re: Re:

Postby TJF » Jan 13, 2017 20:38

scottmcardle wrote:i notice difficulty getting the latest releases on windows, i started looking at installing gtk+ via MSYS and have updated the repos etc and using pacman ive got a list of the GTK installers, but glade im getting lost on and also people talk about developing under MSYS.

You can develop under MSYS, but any command line interpreter will do.

Find Glade3 here (32/64 bit).

Why are you looking for the latest GTK releases? Install the version you get the headers for. (Or do you want to translate FB headers for the latest releases.)

Also check out PoEdit for editing I18N translations.

In order to test your installation, you can use the code in folder examples/GUI/GTK+/FB_Calc (in your FreeBASIC folder).

Regards
scottmcardle
Posts: 8
Joined: Jan 05, 2017 17:11

Re: Re:

Postby scottmcardle » Jan 14, 2017 13:55

TJF wrote:
scottmcardle wrote:i notice difficulty getting the latest releases on windows, i started looking at installing gtk+ via MSYS and have updated the repos etc and using pacman ive got a list of the GTK installers, but glade im getting lost on and also people talk about developing under MSYS.

You can develop under MSYS, but any command line interpreter will do.

Find Glade3 here (32/64 bit).

Why are you looking for the latest GTK releases? Install the version you get the headers for. (Or do you want to translate FB headers for the latest releases.)

Also check out PoEdit for editing I18N translations.

In order to test your installation, you can use the code in folder examples/GUI/GTK+/FB_Calc (in your FreeBASIC folder).

Regards


thanks for the reply, i dont have any real linux experience so i find the installation of this stuff pretty complicated, there seems to be part examples of installation but no full guides, each one i find has stages missing, if i can get the demos working, yes this would be great, at the moment they compile with a stack of lib errors.

being from a windows background i imagine various dlls installing into my system, this whole MSYS component and its role is baffling me to be honest. i want to run a compiled test application right off the desktop, if i move it to another pc, do i have to install GTK runtime libs?


i just want to compile and test some code examples and have a look at glade. the link like other links leads to an installer for version 3.14 so how do i go from that to 3.20?

cheers
scott
marcov
Posts: 2755
Joined: Jun 16, 2005 9:45
Location: Eindhoven, NL
Contact:

Re: Re:

Postby marcov » Jan 14, 2017 14:17

scottmcardle wrote:thanks for the reply, i dont have any real linux experience so i find the installation of this stuff pretty complicated, there seems to be part examples of installation but no full guides, each one i find has stages missing, if i can get the demos working, yes this would be great, at the moment they compile with a stack of lib errors.

being from a windows background i imagine various dlls installing into my system, this whole MSYS component and its role is baffling me to be honest.


MSys is basically a *nix emulation. But the emulation is more pronounced in the parts that you don't distribute (the build systems) than in the parts that need to be distributed as a final result.

i want to run a compiled test application right off the desktop, if i move it to another pc, do i have to install GTK runtime libs?


Yes, and any DLLs used from Msys/mingw

Return to “Community Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 1 guest