Make Cool Programs (Like a Boss)

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
anonymous1337

Make Cool Programs (Like a Boss)

Post by anonymous1337 »

Just coded 800 lines of JavaScript to call ASP.NET web service methods synchronously over the net. Decided against jQuery because it was giving me trouble. It communicates with web services without the use of any built-in tools (like ScriptManager).

Code: Select all

strResult = g_clsWebService.Invoke( "AddTwoNumbers", 2, 5 );

// or... Because I'm a boss.
strResult = g_clsWebService.AddTwoNumbers( 2, 5 );
My current project consists of ASP.NET, C++, CSS, HTML, JavaScript, VB.NET, XML and and a robot I have to make play tic-tac-toe.

My tic-tac-toe algorithm consists of an optimal placement algorithm in combination with special cases for the start/end conditions of the game. It never loses, but loves to win.

The biggest project I've ever done for school. My design and development skills are getting pretty rad.

What have you been up to? Are you a boss?
roook_ph

Post by roook_ph »

Nice accomplishments so far all I see is 2 lines of codes
KristopherWindsor

Post by KristopherWindsor »

Nice, which college?

I've recently made this:
http://kristopherwindsor.com/rampsderp/
About
Ramps Derp is a game made by Alex Robinson and Kristopher Windsor. It was developed in Spring 2011 for the SJSU Game Dev Club. The game is written in C++ using OpenGL (3D), Glut (windowing), Box2D (physics), and FMOD (sound). Source code is available upon request.
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

My software turns time into money.

Beat That!

-Vince
agamemnus

Post by agamemnus »

:|
rdc

Post by rdc »

KristopherWindsor wrote:Nice, which college?

I've recently made this:
http://kristopherwindsor.com/rampsderp/
About
Ramps Derp is a game made by Alex Robinson and Kristopher Windsor. It was developed in Spring 2011 for the SJSU Game Dev Club. The game is written in C++ using OpenGL (3D), Glut (windowing), Box2D (physics), and FMOD (sound). Source code is available upon request.
Very cool.

One of the projects I am working is a golf solitaire game. Some WIP pics here.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

@KristopherWindsor:

I thought you quit the game dev scene? :P
And I can't say which school I'm in publicly. I really don't want anyone to know right now :(

@vdecampo:

>_>... You have me beat only because I'm still a student.
KristopherWindsor

anonymous1337 wrote:I thought you quit the game dev scene? :P
Never! Well, I wanted to get out of the monotonous loop of making small games in FB. This was nice because I learned some new tools / libraries.
Of course now that I've got a job, I'm not considering game dev for a career, but it's still fun on the side.
And I can't say which school I'm in publicly. I really don't want anyone to know right now :(
Well now we'll just assume the worst. :P
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

I think you could be a successful indie game developer, if you only polished the user interfaces of your products more. Then again, it depends on how bad you want it.
KristopherWindsor

anonymous1337 wrote:I think you could be a successful indie game developer, if you only polished the user interfaces of your products more. Then again, it depends on how bad you want it.
In my dreams of a distant future, I make it big in a startup that does something more useful than games.
Maybe I could survive as an indie game developer, but the opportunity cost vs. a nice full-time salary is too great. But still, when I've got a really good idea, I think I'll be able to work on it.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

If you're looking for a startup company, you must have finally had exposure to the business programming world. *shudders*

We're in the same boat :(
KristopherWindsor

anonymous1337 wrote:If you're looking for a startup company, you must have finally had exposure to the business programming world. *shudders*

We're in the same boat :(
Heh. Well, I meant that it'd be nice if I got some great idea, started my own company and made a few million. *Jinx* Working at a corporation has its advantages and disadvantages, but I am working at a startup now with ~50 employees.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

Oh yeah? What kind of work do you do?

I went and applied (and was subsequently denied) by a startup around 6 months ago. They used classic ASP, which I'm not interested in. But some form of ownership, a flexible schedule and a casual work environment would be nice...
KristopherWindsor

anonymous1337 wrote:Oh yeah? What kind of work do you do?
I'm doing PHP. Since I got here right while they are transitioning from Java to PHP, I'm the second full-time PHP developer, and a large part of the code base will soon be in PHP. So I'm awesome or something??? :p

I've mentioned the company on my Facebook and LinkedIn, etc pages FWIW.
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

I was 16 years long IT freelancer but I interrupted it 2001.

Now after exactly 10 years i'm back in the same boot.

I wrote an complex businessplan the last two month.
It was tested and checked independent by IHK (the chambers of commerce and industry in german)
and by the "job center" with sucess in all points.

I hope my new startup isn't a wet boot to day ;-)

Joshy
Last edited by D.J.Peters on Jul 23, 2011 4:20, edited 1 time in total.