New FB version.

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Sisophon2001

New FB version.

Postby Sisophon2001 » May 09, 2011 14:25

Congratulations to dkl for the new fb build FB0.22.0. I tried the deb file version, and it installed perfectly on Ubuntu 11.04.

Garvan
agamemnus

Postby agamemnus » May 09, 2011 19:05

Great, thanks, dkl.

Just remember to put ...

Code: Select all

#ifndef inherits
#define inherits extends
#endif

... in all your files. :P
Last edited by agamemnus on May 10, 2011 3:25, edited 1 time in total.
anonymous1337

Postby anonymous1337 » May 10, 2011 0:58

Great job, dkl. Your commentary is, explanations are and documentation is top-notch. As always, we appreciate your efforts.
VANYA

Postby VANYA » May 10, 2011 3:16

Why is commented out the include files?

inc\win\ole2.bi
inc\win\cguid.bi

can any more, I have not tested...
TJF

Postby TJF » May 10, 2011 6:54

These files may have LINUX line ends ( CHR(10) ) and your IDE may not be able to handle this.

Use an advanced IDE like Geany to see the code.
MOD

Postby MOD » May 10, 2011 10:30

Here you have the same topic and a simple codeexample how to change it easily to read the code in FBEdit: http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16960
TJF

Postby TJF » May 10, 2011 11:21

Thank you, dkl! A great new release!

I tested the .deb package on Ubuntu 11.04 (natty) and it worked well under gdebi-gtk. It's a great improvement to ship FreeBasic in a package now. This will help alot to aquire new users and to demonstrate the professional work done on FreeBasic!

But sorry, IMO there is still potential for improvements:
    An existing installation don't get removed by the package. So if you don't remove the last FreeBasic version manualy, the new version won't be used because /usr/local/bin/fbc is before /usr/bin/fbc in the path.

And when opening the package with Ubuntu Software Center, this message will be shown (it may confuse beginners)
fxm

Postby fxm » May 10, 2011 11:53

agamemnus wrote:Great, thanks, dkl.

Just remember to put ...

Code: Select all

#ifndef inherits
#define inherits extends
#endif

... in all your files. :P

It will be for the next FB release!
Galeon

Postby Galeon » May 10, 2011 12:41

sugoi!

but it shows some lintian errors:
Lintian check results for /home/galeon/Downloads/freebasic_0.22.0-1_i386.deb:
E: freebasic: maintainer-address-missing FreeBASIC Development Team

I think the reason is that there's no e-mail address.

TJF wrote:An existing installation don't get removed by the package. So if you don't remove the last FreeBasic version manualy, the new version won't be used because /usr/local/bin/fbc is before /usr/bin/fbc in the path.

IMHO, a Debian/Ubuntu package shouldn't do that, or another lintian error will show up (Debian uses the /usr prefix for packages).
TJF

Postby TJF » May 10, 2011 15:48

Galeon wrote:
TJF wrote:An existing installation don't get removed by the package. So if you don't remove the last FreeBasic version manualy, the new version won't be used because /usr/local/bin/fbc is before /usr/bin/fbc in the path.

IMHO, a Debian/Ubuntu package shouldn't do that, or another lintian error will show up (Debian uses the /usr prefix for packages).

OK. So what is the right way to handle it?

Anyway, the user has to get informed that the new version won't run until the old version is removed first. Can the package output a hint and ask the user to stop? Or whatelse is lintian conform?
Galeon

Postby Galeon » May 10, 2011 16:27

TJF wrote:
Galeon wrote:

Anyway, the user has to get informed that the new version won't run until the old version is removed first. Can the package output a hint and ask the user to stop? Or whatelse is lintian conform?

Well, I think those instructions should be added in the wiki, or in a sticky thread here. I don't think there's a way to tell the user about that through the package only, since dpkg might show a message in the output, but it won't be shown in graphical utilities. Dpkg and apt-get have lots of output anyway, and the message will most probably go unnoticed.

I'm planning to add the instructions in my thread in the Linux forum, but it's better if it can be seen in a sticky post so users will easily notice it.

Lintian is used by Debian and Debian-based distributions to make sure packages are standards compliant (their own standards, Debian, Ubuntu and others are quite strict if you ever tried to create a package yourself, compared to Fedora). Even though you're not planning on submitting a package to their repositories, some annoying error messages from lintian will show up just like the one you've seen if there are some problems with your package, though most of them are not really dangerous. So it's better to have less problems so the new users won't be surprised or annoyed. They might also think that the package is dangerous to install, especially those new Linux users who don't have experience with packaging, because of those warnings. For more info on Lintian, check out the Ubuntu Wiki and other sites that have articles about packaging in Debian.
marcov

Postby marcov » May 10, 2011 17:30

TJF wrote:
Galeon wrote:

I don't think that is a point of concern of packaging. Packaging only models what is installed and controlled via the packaging tool, and any manual action can disturb it.

Even two differently named packages of the same program will confuse it, unless both "provide" the same thing.

Dealing with the problems of the package system is Debian/Ubuntu's problem, not ours. It is more or less their raison d'être
Last edited by marcov on May 10, 2011 17:52, edited 2 times in total.
agamemnus

Postby agamemnus » May 10, 2011 17:46

Oh, thought this version had inheritance.

Dkl, the downloads page on the freebasic site hasn't been updated...
TJF

Postby TJF » May 10, 2011 17:53

marcov wrote:Dealing with the problems of the package system is Debian/Ubuntu's problem, not ours.

If we have installed a software package on our box and we install a newer release, we'll expect that the newer version will be used after successful installation. Right?

So it's neither Debian's nor Ubuntu's problem when a user switches from non-packed to packed installation. Right?

It doesn't help to describe the problem. Instead we should try to help dkl (and the FreeBasic project) by describing one (or more) solution(s).

@Galeon: how do official Debian packages handle deprecated files, when a newer release gets installed?
marcov

Postby marcov » May 10, 2011 18:48

TJF wrote:
marcov wrote:Dealing with the problems of the package system is Debian/Ubuntu's problem, not ours.

If we have installed a software package on our box and we install a newer release, we'll expect that the newer version will be used after successful installation. Right?

True.

So it's neither Debian's nor Ubuntu's problem when a user switches from non-packed to packed installation. Right?

I don't see how it isn't. It is their packaging system, not ours?

Maybe I was wrong stating it as "problem". I meant more that they set the rules, not we

It doesn't help to describe the problem. Instead we should try to help dkl (and the FreeBasic project) by describing one (or more) solution(s).

Of course, it doesn't matter to fix it if we reasonably can. But we mustn't mislabel the primary location of the problem.

Debian packages are provided by packages as a courtesy to debian. Not the other way around.

@Galeon: how do official Debian packages handle deprecated files, when a newer release gets installed?

To my best knowledge not, unless the file was registered with a package, it doesn't exist for the package system. I'm not even sure it will actually react if the file is installed by a different package. At best it will present you with a dialog, since the package system doesn't have enough info to make a decision which package has priority

Only if the file is provided by an older version of the _same_ package can be autoupgrade, but in that case, this will never happen, since the old package will be deinstalled before the new one is installed.
Last edited by marcov on May 10, 2011 20:44, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Community Discussion”