A Light Discussion

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
anonymous1337

A Light Discussion

Postby anonymous1337 » May 03, 2011 1:16

Hey guys,

Dr_D made a post that made me nostalgic. I'm hoping a light, casual, non-political, non-religious discussion will go well. How have all of you been? Hardly anyone's active in IRC any more, me included, so I haven't heard from some of you in months, if not years.

Dr_D wrote:This makes me miss the off-topic section we used to have. There was even a little web app that people signed up for which showed locations & stuff. It was pretty neat. :) Anyway... interesting group. No wonder it's so much fun to be a part of. I'm about 260 in dog years. My passion is to write/play music, but I also love programming and I've recently become addicted to circuit design. Too bad I don't do any of those things for a living. :p
Circuit design? That's really neat. Sure, you may not be able to do any of the stuff you love for a living, but how about going to school as a hobby to get some credentials? Most schools can get you jobs through internships. You could even get a certificate. They have plenty of those here.

Recently, I've been able to draw and play music. I learned a classical song in about two weeks, and it was all by ear. I wish my guitar wasn't trash, or I'd offer to record something. Managed to get a touch-sensitive keyboard for free. Tore it apart and fixed it. Now I jam daily :)

I used to be able to sing, but it takes a lot out of me. Those muscles are highly undeveloped because I didn't know they existed until I started singing. So I haven't practiced in a few months, at least.

@All:

So what's up? I left home a while back and am almost done with an associate's degree. I've never driven before, so I have to get my license, a car and a job for college-mandated job placements before I can finish my degree, but everything's going smoothly.

Once I start making money and get my own place, then I'll start producing some seriously wicked stuff. Hope to post it sooner or later. But I make no promises.
agamemnus

Postby agamemnus » May 04, 2011 7:29

<calming robotic tone>

I am fine.

I'm still working on my pseudo-secret game.

Beyond that, not much has changed.

</calming robotic tone>
KristopherWindsor

Postby KristopherWindsor » May 04, 2011 8:37

I'm graduating in less than a month, and I'm going to be a PHP Developer at a startup in 33 days. Also, Free Basic died while you were out. :P
If you want light... funny pictures and pointless discussion... you could be on Facebook more. :P
Last edited by KristopherWindsor on May 04, 2011 8:40, edited 2 times in total.
Lachie Dazdarian

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » May 04, 2011 8:38

I'm doing this....erm...yeah, right....

But I plan soon to...erm...

Uh, getting fat and not getting layd often as I would want to (it's complicated).

Pretty much waiting for 2012 Doomsday.

That wraps it up for me.
vdecampo

Postby vdecampo » May 04, 2011 10:51

LOL...Lachie you always make be laugh!

-Vince
rolliebollocks

Postby rolliebollocks » May 04, 2011 12:24

I am now at one with Tao. I'm working on several projects all at once, and I have a reading coming up on the 13th, and a digital poetry conference coming up after that. Other than that, there isn't much to say. The girlfriend is doing well, she just presented at a conference in Amherst, Massachusetts and that went really well. The department at UB really seems to love her. By the time I get back into school, I will probably be taking classes from her.
anonymous1337

Postby anonymous1337 » May 05, 2011 13:08

Thanks for being so reassuring, guys. </sarcasm>

agamemnus: What secret game?

Kristopher: FaceBook isn't happening.

Lachie: I'm not surprised.

vdecampo: I always make see laugh.

rolliebollocks: You sound important.
rolliebollocks

Postby rolliebollocks » May 05, 2011 15:13

@anonymous1337

I am currently the 14th most important person to ever write a random sentence generator. So don't be forgetting my name anytime soon.
KristopherWindsor

Postby KristopherWindsor » May 06, 2011 5:26

It's "Facebook" not "FaceBook" :P

rolliebollocks wrote:@anonymous1337

I am currently the 14th most important person to ever write a random sentence generator. So don't be forgetting my name anytime soon.

I hope I'm on that list. I made a random sentence generator awhile ago.
kiyotewolf

Postby kiyotewolf » May 06, 2011 6:12

I'm particularly thrilled by the "how old are you thread", I had assumptions about everyone in the entire forum, some of the people here talk like oldbies, but they are young, some of the oldbies talk like young programmers, but they are "experienced" at living, shall we say.

I'm busy pursuing my pursuit of pursuing ancient computer technology, so far as I'm going to put "computer archeologist" on my business cards on one side.

Lost another girlfriend, to being too far away.

KikiAI is fast becoming a clone of the MCP, as well as a clone of KITT, she's going in my van as an AI alarm system & digital DJ, and going to be up at my dad's retirement cabin, with a haxxored TRAC phone, so she can be called and report weather conditions.

Teslacoil, although hyper & uncontrollable at times, has become a major asset to me personally, so I'm keeping him occupied via email correspondence.

Started off with 2 lead artists, now have a 3rd for my video games, as well as 5 more voice talent (half are family) who are going to provide more KikiAI voices, each with a new Vocaloid flavored purpose in mind.

My brother in law is dead. Suicide, 3 days ago.

I got major tooth work done. Bit the xxxx out of my cheek for a week on my "new" teeth.

Am making mini game mouse toys for anime convention freaks in a forum somewhere, I am giving them away as freebies, to draw attention to myself as a serious game developer. Put my hat in the ring on a venture capitalist hot-watch-list submission form, amount of income you have self-funded yourself, put $15,000.00, which is a low-ball figure at best.

~Kiyote!

Ahh. Off topic. Off into the Blue Sky Rangers land down unda'.

[edit 2more]
I'm going to have a ticket for the space station, Dec 2012.
I'm going to be convienently unavailable that day.

[edit 3more]
I think that 2012 all the bees will die. We'll scramble to send workers into the fields to manually pollinate them, only save a few species of plants, and the entire world economy will implode in a DIVIDE BY ZERO scenario. Either that, or we're supposed to send out a beacon into space, on that particular date and time, so we are discovered by some alien race.
vdecampo

Postby vdecampo » May 06, 2011 11:16

If I had assign an error message to symbolize the end of the world it would be..

Runtime Error 0: Out of Common Sense

-Vince
stylin

Postby stylin » May 06, 2011 11:44

kiyotewolf, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, I wish you the best of luck.
rolliebollocks

Postby rolliebollocks » May 06, 2011 14:32

@Kris

Did you ever post it? I always like looking through your projects, they're very clean... Was it a 3 part or a 2 part? I've only seen 2 parts, which you can do with mine, but I opted for a pure Mad-Libs style algorithm in the poetry generator.

@kiyotewolf

It sounds like you have a lot of really interesting projects going. Sorry to hear about the brother in law.
kiyotewolf

Postby kiyotewolf » May 06, 2011 17:44

If I had assign an error message to symbolize the end of the world it would be..

Runtime Error 0: Out of Common Sense

-Vince

Ha ha!

@stylin & @rolliebollocks

Thanks for the kind words. Everyone thought he was the strongest, made of sterner stuff, but being removed from the Navy prematurely due to genetic defect in his lung, was too much for him to handle.

~Kiyote!

Oh, and that $15,000.00 wasn't smack talk or tooting my horn. I technically lost half of the assets and materials I got with that figure, due to a wonderful experience with a girlfriend, 2 girlfriend's ago, who I now call simply, "The Monster."
agamemnus

Postby agamemnus » May 06, 2011 19:53

anonymous1337: too secret for my pants, too secret for my pants. It's too secret for my pants!

Return to “Community Discussion”