Looking for former QBasic people to visit the qb64.net site.

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Cyperium

Looking for former QBasic people to visit the qb64.net site.

Post by Cyperium »

The community at qb64.net is in need for new people, we have about 50 members that post more or less regularly (and a few that are active every day) but we need some outside influence.

Of course freebasic programmers is also welcome :), the important issue is that the community doesn't feel as closed as it does now, the atmosphere needs some fresh wind.

Perhaps you'd like to give some suggestions about the future development of QB64? Perhaps you'd like to develop in QB64 alongside with FreeBasic? Either way it would be nice if you stopped by, it's all BASIC after all!

QB64 is now about 99% compatible with QB 4.5 and it has a lot of extended features just like FreeBASIC.

http://www.qb64.net/
TJF

Post by TJF »

So tell the last 50 members where you've gone now.
fxm

Post by fxm »

I think the majority of our people know QB64 and also did some tests like me.
That probably explains the small number of your members!
agamemnus

Post by agamemnus »

I'm all for some healthy competition (a Mac version is something FB doesn't have), and the front page design is nifty. I'll check out the features but I doubt I'll be switching or posting there.
Cyperium

Post by Cyperium »

fxm wrote:I think the majority of our people know QB64 and also did some tests like me.
Does it? So what did you find that didn't meet your expectations?
roook_ph

Post by roook_ph »

The site above was maliciously linked to rick astley youtube video.. The main prog relies on sdl to run. It will conflict with other libs should you prefer to use them. I would prefer it for its qb almost approach. But maybe can you make it less dependent on sdl
Last edited by roook_ph on May 02, 2011 22:26, edited 2 times in total.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Overwhelming majority of people here appreciate the BASIC part of FreeBASIC and care very little if any for its compatibility with QB. We grew out of it or simply never cared (much). I, for example, grew out of it. It's a fact most of you in the QB64 refuse to acknowledge.
rolliebollocks

Post by rolliebollocks »

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... 39.agr.jpg

Moderated by Richard, because the embedded wide image breaks the width of the forum.
Richard

Post by Richard »

@ Cyperium.

Arguing that the good ship QB64 is quiet and peaceful (like the Mary Celeste) is probably not the best way to attract new life there. Asking how QB64 fails to meet expectations is also unwise. You are focused on failure. Don't think negative!

Think positive! Identify and list on this forum the features that QB64 has that FB does not. We live in a time of convergence, even if FB members don't immediately flock to QB64, they will at least argue that any valuable features be supported by FB. That way at least, FB will become a better haven for any QB64 members should they need to abandon ship.

It is not the quantity or identity of members themselves but the quality of their environment. The level of QB64 enthusiasm is determined by the group dynamics of it's present member interactions. That is psychology, members are like chameleons, they will take on the attitude of their environment. It is their environment that you must successfully manage.

If the rats are leaving the (sinking ship) SS QB64, then it can be expected to become lonely and depressed on board. I try to run in the same direction as the rats because I am not part of your salvage crew. You appear to have signed up as salvage officer for QB64. It is counter productive to just call for more rats, they are too cunning, instead first satisfy yourself that QB64 is not sinking, then get a rowdy and jovial party going on board. Like begets like. Pull, don't push. Attract, don't repel.

Enthusiastic FB members often provide a free programming service as they try to outdo each other helping beginners. Those elated beginners become enthusiastic members who attract more new members and so the game plays on. To promote your site, get two other members and run a bit of competitive friendly programming amongst yourselves, others will join in and the site will start rocking. Give them the helm, keep it up. Get arguments going about the fastest way to code algorithms to solve well defined problems. Start to ask intelligent questions about how best to code in QB64, get the members to think and to explore new seas. Put yourself in the mindset of a beginner or new member, ask yourself what you might be attracted to on the QB64 site. Then provide it.

Promotion of your store by advertising in the competitor's window or stopping their customers in their doorway is not a commonly accepted business practice. This forum is for the support of FB users. We cannot encourage the proselytising of QB64 on the FB forum. But if you can manage the group dynamics of your memberSHIP you will find that it attracts the right attitude in your crew and passengers.

So heave up your psychological anchor, hoist the Jolly Roger and manage your environment, get that party going. Get it right and you will attract a flock of enthusiastic members.

As our two ships sail their parallel courses, I on the good ship FreeBASIC, hope to be aware of your roaring party aboard our sister ship, the QB64.

Good luck on your voyage.
agamemnus

Post by agamemnus »

Inspiring, Richard!
fxm

Post by fxm »

Cyperium wrote:
fxm wrote:I think the majority of our people know QB64 and also did some tests like me.
Does it? So what did you find that didn't meet your expectations?
- IDE: limited 25 lines MS-DOS style, with no improvements or additions compared with QuickBasic, and even a regression because no more integrated manuel (Help).
- No DOS compatibility.
- Very slow compilation.
- EXE file very large and requiring a multitude of DLL.
- Sort of half-way between a compiler and an emulator.
- Execution speed much slower than FreeBasic.
But still I keep QB64 installed on my PC, follow up the project and test each update.
angros47

Post by angros47 »

The community of QB64 is a bit hostile towards FreeBasic users:

http://www.qb64.net/forum/index.php?top ... 05#msg7905

http://www.qb64.net/forum/index.php?topic=1083.0

There are some QBasic "fundamentalists" that yells because the tricks they learned a decade ago cannot be used in Freebasic. QB64 is really useful, because it keeps them away from this forum.

I sometimes post on QB64 forum because I like programs that can be compiled with both qb64 and freebasic... it's a sort of "common denominator", a subset of basic that works everywhere; anyway, I think that qb64 community is much "closer" towards the rest of the world than freebasic community.

Just my opinion.
marcov

Post by marcov »

angros47 wrote: QB64 is really useful, because it keeps them away from this forum.
Amen.

About the fundamentalists, we have one of those on FB's own IRC channel,so we can't judge too harshly.
TESLACOIL

as

Post by TESLACOIL »

As the real competition

IS EVERY OTHER ACTIVITY DOABLE BY A HUMAN BEING

community in fighting or fighting your neighbors makes zero sense !

now as Qbasic and FreeBASIC have a huge chunk in common , users AND developers sharing ALL knowledge and expertise raises both ships flags that little higher

once you compare programing in FB or QB with all other activities including drinking beer then then only a mug can still think flame wars are productive

they should have FB links on all their links pages , we should have QB links on all our pages. Its not like there are billions of $ at stake

If anything is at stake its the quality of software and ecosystems available to programmers, The more attractive and rewarding an activity is the more you will engage.

all good things should be promoted
kiyotewolf

Post by kiyotewolf »

@Cyperium

I'm frustrated with QB64, because I don't know if I can use USB joysticks with it.

Last I saw, people were hacking native port inputs to just get the left shift, right shift, and maybe the CTRL key as a form of input?

The last major thing I did with QuickBasic v4.5 was to make a HUGE image editor, which was too big for even DOS.
It was emulated in DOSBOX, and as I sliced out the excess fat, it finally slimmed down enough to run on both DOSBOX and a native DOS machine.
But that wasn't until I figured out how to solve the glitches that stopped EVERYONE from using EMS/XMS.

I've read odd things here that some functionality is there, for interrupts, and ports and things, but is there an absolute concrete list of exactly what it supports?

I have not seen anything which elaborates on how to push the undocumented features, (meaning anything that's above and beyond original QB code), I see a bunch of underscore specially named things, to make it do MAGIC that QB couldn't do without special LIB's in ASM, so far the only clues on that I know of are searching through the forums for enough examples.

Is QB64 actually supported on Android phones?
I've heard this rumored too.
If so, how do you get input from the phone to your program?
Virtual keyboard?

I am VERY very VERY interested in QB64 for future development, if it can be used on Android phones.
I had a campfire story time here in another thread, where I talked about getting left behind in the Commodore days.
People on laptops and desktops days are numbered.
We need to get ourselves in people's POCKETS now, or we will too soon fall out of favor.

I would love to see a huge push, that if there is room to grow in a phone app direction, that we drive it home as hard and as quick as we can.

Maybe I haven't googled enough of the QB64 to know the things I was just talking about.
I don't know.
Maybe it's not quite released except in a small circle of people surrounding the QB64 site.

~~~

I would like to know exactly what ports are supported by QB64.
What Interrupts are supported by QB64.
What the future proofing there is, USB joysticks for game input, that sort of thing.

I am very amazed at the Mario Kart clone in the QB64 forum.
I'm so very impressed at that.
My "amazing cheap texturemapping" routine should let me do a similar type of thing, once I optimize it for speed.
Had a Mario Kart clone on my mind for a VERY long time.

~Kiyote!

I chose QB64 to teach someone BASIC who did not know any programming otherwise before.

I see myself using QB64 in the future, but for the mean time, I'm developing my Windows-ready sprite/graphics editor in FreeBasic, and then have it dump down to containers for any OS platform or language I choose, afterwards, once it's 100% finished.