How old are you ?

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Velatus

Postby Velatus » May 03, 2011 16:30

Well I'm 29. I'll turn 30 next November. I'm french. I live with my fiancée in Marseille.
I studied philosophy back in the day. Now I'm a student in architecture (next year's my last year), and a freelance web developer (actually i'm specialized in websites for architects). My languages are FreeBASIC and JavaScript(/XHTML/CSS). I'm starting to learn LISP, which is IMO a hell of an expressive language.
I started programming like 10 years ago, in RapidQ (some QB dialect). I'm mainly interested in games (as many self-taught fellow programmers out there, i guess), and especially in procedurally-generated contents (graphtals and L-Systems fascinate me). Right now I'm working on a turn-based strategy game project, both in FB and NewLISP (or preferably JS, if I could get to build that spidermonkey engine!).
Like probably many of us, I'm quite surprised that the people on this forum are way older than I thought. Well maybe it's a lousy cliché, but I thought everyone here were some sort of nerds in their (late) twenties like myself. ;)
That explains a lot. And in particular why some guys out there sounded so damn GOOD, and sort of fluent with compiler-related esoterics.
BTW, I see that some of our members are french. I would love to share with them. (À ce propos, ce serait peut-être bien de lancer un site FB français, peut-être?)

V.
vdecampo

Postby vdecampo » May 03, 2011 16:55

Je ne suis pas français mais je veux visiter Paris et la rural.

-Vince
fxm

Postby fxm » May 03, 2011 16:59

vdecampo wrote:Je ne suis pas français mais je veux visiter Paris et la rural.

-Vince

What does it mean for you the term "rural"?
vdecampo

Postby vdecampo » May 03, 2011 17:09

fxm wrote:

-Vince

countryside

lol...thats Google Translate for you!

-Vince
fxm

Postby fxm » May 03, 2011 17:50

vdecampo wrote:
fxm wrote:

-Vince

countryside

lol...thats Google Translate for you!

-Vince

Google translation does what it can, but it's only software!
"Je ne suis pas français, mais je veux visiter Paris et la campagne."
dodicat

Postby dodicat » May 03, 2011 19:47

@ fxm
I've used your integer method and added two or three more ages (edited code)
@ kiyotewolf
I've included a crude error recorder in the edited histogram, but maybe it is not quite right.
fxm might show you his method.
@ fxm
The French countryside is quite stunning in the rural areas.
I have spent much time on the River Seine, up to Rouen and various river jetties.
But a really nice bit this time of the year strangely is in and around the old cement works (Lafarge), near the bridge at Le Havre.
Often, on a Sunday, when we were not loading cement, I would wander all over, for miles.
The upland to the South blooms with Maythorn (in May).
fxm

Postby fxm » May 03, 2011 21:10

dodicat wrote:@ fxm
The French countryside is quite stunning in the rural areas.
I have spent much time on the River Seine, up to Rouen and various river jetties.
But a really nice bit this time of the year strangely is in and around the old cement works (Lafarge), near the bridge at Le Havre.
Often, on a Sunday, when we were not loading cement, I would wander all over, for miles.
The upland to the South blooms with Maythorn (in May).

I would just point out that the French term "rural" is used:
- most of time as an adjective: Relating to the farmers, the countryside, and generally non-urban areas and activities. Example "vie rurale".
- sometimes as a noun: Inhabitant of the campaign.

@ dodicat
In my youth (40 years ago), I lived for 4 years in "Le Havre". There was still no bridge, and we had to go to "Tancarville" to cross the "Seine".
Sisophon2001

Postby Sisophon2001 » May 04, 2011 15:45

I am 49, an engineer specializing in Rural Infrastructure in developing countries

I learned FORTRAN when studying for my engineering degree in the early 80's, and in the early 90's I used my free time to study other languages, from Modula 2 to Basic, while back in university to notch up my qualifications. The most important programming environment for my work is still Microsoft Excel, which I first found when I unpacked an Apple Macintosh that my office sent us some time in the 80's.

I am not a BASIC games programmer. I missed that stage of BASIC, although I made a few puzzles (3D X&O and card game Freecell clone ) in isolation from the BASIC comunity.

From 1993 to 2001 I worked in areas with no telephone connections. I know that I first logged into a Yahoo group in 2001 from my current user-name, Sisophon2001. Guess what town I was in when I first made the connection? I connected using a long distance phone call with a mobile phone.

I don't really care which programming language I use. I like Basic, and this forum, because of the type of people and programmers it attracts. It seems I can easily find people with diverse interests that match my own.

Garvan
qbworker

Postby qbworker » May 04, 2011 17:32

I'm in 9th grade, and love programming quite a lot. I suppose that I'm probably the youngest here unless someone else later in the thread decides to post that they just started 1st grade or something! We definitely do go from '7 to 77'. Also like Theunis Jansen, I probably will never lose my voracious thirst for knowledge, so you could almost guess by that that I also love to read.
KaraK

Postby KaraK » May 04, 2011 19:21

I'm 22.
Fascinated with computers since I was a little kid, never got the chance to touch one until I was 12, in a cybercafe.
Started programming on Visual Fox at the Age of 14 taking simple classes at an institute in my city.
Started developing real programming skills at 15 with PHP and MySQL. Working for real in Visual Basic 6 when i was 17 for a small starter (my code was awful).

In the needs of having speed of C , but with the easiness of a BASIC dialect i came across this site and i saw the light.

FreeBASIC is awesome, I used it professionaly for many projects for 2 years and saved my and my partner's asses. Now I'm using C# and sometimes pick up FB to code small tools.
Dr_D

Postby Dr_D » May 04, 2011 21:53

KaraK wrote:FreeBASIC is awesome, I used it professionaly for many projects for 2 years and saved my and my partner's asses. Now I'm using C# and sometimes pick up FB to code small tools.

That's very cool. Can you show us anything you've done? I'd really like to see, as I feel FB acquired the nads for commercial app development some time ago. :)
kiyotewolf

Postby kiyotewolf » May 05, 2011 7:18

"Started programming on Visual Fox at the Age of 14 taking simple classes at an institute in my city. "

* snicker *

Visual fox goes to visual pond and laps up visual water.
Object oriented fox constructs the pond first, then laps up the water.

~Kiyote!

10 PRINT "HA HA!";
20 GOTO 20
30 REM GOTO 10
anonymous1337

Postby anonymous1337 » May 05, 2011 13:27

@qbworker:

Reading, huh? You know, I love learning, but don't enjoy reading too much. Even "light" books take me at least two weeks to read. I tend to collapse back into my chair once a page.

But that's a sign that I really enjoy a book, and that I'm learning a lot from it. So much that I have to stop to think and consider the implications of statements made by its author.

I read a book on economics, wrote a report, and remained ahead of my economics class for the remainder of the term.
roook_ph

Postby roook_ph » May 05, 2011 13:56

Pitchard's age of 20 is the only one that baffles me he likes to preach everybody here and he is only 20?
anonymous1337

Postby anonymous1337 » May 05, 2011 16:29

I never knew logical statements were validated by the source's age. But I won't blame you for the lure of red herrings.

Return to “Community Discussion”