How old are you ?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Mihail_B

How old are you ?

Post by Mihail_B »

I just wanna' know ("to make an impression") about
how things are ...

I'm 27. I've been using basic like stuff since '96.
I still prefer freebasic against c/c++ ...

I generally use asm and freebasic. Then c and others...
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

I'm 28, soon 29. Ugh, I'm wasting my life....anyway....

I started using QBasic around 1999 out of years long desire to CREATE games, later switched to FreeBASIC. I like the beginner-friendliness of the BASIC dialect and I primarily regard programming as means to a concrete end/goal. I like to think of myself as a hobbist computer games developer, programming leecher and parasite, a hack-programmer. I know programming can be incredibly creative and fascinating, but it never rubbed my on that way.

I also know some MySQL and PHP, learned out of necessity to build my site: http://games.freebasic.net

BTW, I was always interested what all of you do for living. Is it also programming and in what capacity?

I work in metal processing, mostly as a technologist/programmer of CNC lathe machines. It has nothing to do with computer sort of programming, but it can be fun and challenging work.
Mihail_B

Post by Mihail_B »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:BTW, I was always interested what all of you do for living. Is it also programming and in what capacity?
I work in metal processing, mostly as a technologist/programmer of CNC lathe machines. It has nothing to do with computer sort of programming, but it can be fun and challenging work.
"You don't wanna' know kid !" (Do you recognize the message: Tip a '99 game)

(don't "meant" any "illigal" stuff !)

Anyway for the future I plan to build p-Si/a-Si thin films photovoltaic cells (home buisness) ...
Need programming for stuff like that ...
I love MIT's OCW web site for their open courses;
I don't claim to study like a MIT student, because I don't yet do real stuff (real stuff = $$$)
Last edited by Mihail_B on Apr 29, 2011 23:00, edited 2 times in total.
bcohio2001

Post by bcohio2001 »

Interesting topic.

The other side of the coin.... Just passed my 48th birthday. I started using "basic" back in the late 1970's at the neighborhood "Radio Shack" store. My first program was:

Code: Select all

10 print "hello"
20 goto 10
In vocational school continued on the "TRS 80 Model I".
Then at the Ohio State University used an "IBM PC" with Q[uick]Basic (DOS 5.0/6.2)
Last edited by bcohio2001 on Apr 29, 2011 23:02, edited 1 time in total.
fxm

Post by fxm »

I am 60 years old.

I started to learn Basic 25 years ago with the Amstrad CPC 6128.
I then continued under MS-DOS with the full series of Microsoft QuickBasic, PDS and VisualBasic for DOS.
I finally passed under Windows with the series still VisualBasic, from VB1 to VB6.
roook_ph

Post by roook_ph »

Im 42 . I work in a plant that converts steel sheets into bottled gas cylinders.Most developed countries has underground gas supply so maybe you do not know what product we make. Any way I know what archie does and handles one of those, I also handle the documents but mostly excel and not related to programming. Im planning to retire soon and will be programing full time if I can finish this game creator sort of a project.
Last edited by roook_ph on Apr 29, 2011 23:03, edited 1 time in total.
Mihail_B

Post by Mihail_B »

fxm wrote:I am 60 years old.
Wow ! Older than my (dead) father ! Man your cool !
I never realised your that kind of old ... :) :) :)
djsfantasi

Post by djsfantasi »

I am 57 years old.

I work for an Internet Application Service Provider (think like Google)

I started programming in Fortran in the 60's (that would be the 1960's)
Can't remember, but think I started programming in BASIC in 1972.

dj
rolliebollocks

Post by rolliebollocks »

I'm 33 years old. I first learned BASIC on a TRS-80 then became aware that my 8088 had GW-BASIC and I taught myself how to program out of the manual. Moved on QB and now FB. I'm basically a house-wife for my student-girlfriend and I spend all day researching and freelance writing (and cleaning and watching the kiddo, I also cook). I will one day re-apply for school, perhaps an MFA program, perhaps a masters-phd route. Right now I am on disability because as most people on this board can attest to, I am completely insane.
KristopherWindsor

Post by KristopherWindsor »

Imortis

Post by Imortis »

I am 27 years old. I first learned to program on the Matel Aquarius. It had BASIC built in, and I taught myself have to do some very simple things from the manual.

I have learned a whole host of languages since then, but FB is my favorite.

I work at a hospital in their computer security department. I don't get to use my programming skills very often, and when I do it is in MS Access with VBA.
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

I'm 41. I learned BASIC on a TRS-80 Model III with ROM basic. And yes my first program was...

10 Print "Hello ";
20 Goto 10
This was a superior program to the old...

10 Print "Hello"
20 Goto 10
:)

-Vince
rolliebollocks

Post by rolliebollocks »

for i as integer = 100000 to 1 step -1
? i
next

do:beep:loop
I used to Πss the school librarian off with that on the Apple IIE... By the time it got to 0 I was long gone...

*with line numbers of course...
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

for people that don't know, the Apple ][ had a very loud bell sound, I put a toggle switch between the speaker on mine so I coud turn it off/on.
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Hi all

Am I the Dinosaur or what ?
I am 65 in July, but lost my Pituitary Gland when I was 36 (forgot where I put it :) ), and as it is reponsible for the growth / aging of the body, I fool myself into thinking that I am 36. (My wife reckons I haven't looked in the mirror lately)

I started programming Z80 based assembly in 1972 and only changed to Quick Basic late in life around 1984, when I had to connect 6 shop scales to a modem.

As some of you know I build computerised Batch Weighing machines for a living (YES using FB) and have done machines for products as varied as Diamonds to Garbage to Gold to Abalone.

My first program (promise not to laugh)
I connected a Navy radio (B40) to my Z80 S100 bus computer which had a black & white TV with modulator as a screen, Tape recorder as HDD and 64 kb memory. The radio was tuned to morse code transmissions, and the program translated morse code to English on the screen. Later found out I was breaking some serious laws listening in on the Australian Navy. Learned from that that some captains had serious drinking problems.

So now you know why I picked Dinosaur as my tag.

Regards