How old are you ?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
roook_ph

Post by roook_ph »

I dont intend to challenge you to reveal your real age or anything but 2005 your are posting same old preach like posts and giving snippets I'm really baffled.
kiyotewolf

Post by kiyotewolf »

Sisophon2001
Master

PostPosted: May 04, 2011 15:45 Post subject: Reply with quote
I am 49, an engineer specializing in Rural Infrastructure in developing countries

I learned FORTRAN when studying for my engineering degree in the early 80's, and in the early 90's I used my free time to study other languages, from Modula 2 to Basic, while back in university to notch up my qualifications. The most important programming environment for my work is still Microsoft Excel, which I first found when I unpacked an Apple Macintosh that my office sent us some time in the 80's.
I write in a flavor of VB under Excel spreadsheets, and it's similar to using SQL to store lots of data, I use the 64,000 character limit in each cell to store text, in a LARGE, 7 year old Excel spreadsheet program which is a diary program.

Lots of BASIC (branded) code in there, and it pops up over the spreadsheet, you have to LOG IN, but if you give the wrong password 3 times, a text-drawn Kirby on a userform button flips you off, then closes the program on you.

I can send you a blank copy for Window Excel to look at, and also how to find the VB IDE inside Excel spreadsheets.

Alt F11.

~Kiyote!

I was making a tutorial on how to do all this, but it never went anywhere. It was released to Pete's last QBExpress issue, which never came out. Lots of paperwork & screen caps were in my massive *.ZIP of DIY Excel VB programming for users.

[edit 3more]

Even cooler, my diary program, I used a thumb drive, put it on a Macintosh with Excel, AND IT RAN!
qbworker

Post by qbworker »

anonymous1337:

Some people have the ability to read fast enough to entertain themselves, and those that can't read so fast, use other means of learning. Nothing to start another war over though! :p
ffweb

Post by ffweb »

I'm nearly 40 and started with a Commodore 64 back in the '80s. Then I learned Fortran 77 at University. I'm an engineer but I program only for hobby. I've learned a few languages, more or less: C, C++, Pascal, but I go back to Basic from time to time.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

@roook_ph:

I hope you didn't take my reply the wrong way. I am 20. You'll notice that in 2005, my posts were more expressive (smiley faces, explanation points). There's little else I can tell you.

@qbworker:

Understood. What I said pertained mostly to non-fiction, where my brainstorming sessions between paragraphs are essential for comprehension.

I made my way through the Harry Potter series and a bundle of "classic" books within a couple weeks. I'm not sure if I'm considered a fast reader or not.

Have you read The Perks of Being a Wallflower? I highly recommend it. I also liked The Catcher in the Rye, but over time, my anti-social tendencies have gradually worn away.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Have you read The Perks of Being a Wallflower? I highly recommend it. I also liked The Catcher in the Rye, but over time, my anti-social tendencies have gradually worn away.
I'm so proud of my boy!
roook_ph

Post by roook_ph »

@Pitchard
If You say you are 20 then I am not saying anymore either. I do not have the resource to hire a PI or something. At 14 I do not preach other people . Well times change with advent of online social networks you can pretend to be anything.
Sisophon2001

Post by Sisophon2001 »

roook_ph wrote:@Pitchard
If You say you are 20 then I am not saying anymore either. I do not have the resource to hire a PI or something. At 14 I do not preach other people . Well times change with advent of online social networks you can pretend to be anything.
I don't really understand why you question Pitchard age. He joined this forum at an obviously young age, and has learned programming very quickly, typical of a bright person who spent too much time at one subject. A few years ago I made note of his birthday, so I know how old he is.

Garvan
roook_ph

Post by roook_ph »

If Sisophon aka Garvan says it I believe it. I have seen him since BCX days in 04. I won't apologize though its basic instinct to question when in doubt .
gozron

Post by gozron »

I am 48. I started with computers/programming in 1978. It was a teletype terminal connected to a timeshare service (our class didn't get that involved with the hardware side of things) through a 75 baud modem with a rotary dial. As a 7th grade kid, I couldn't get enough of it. School was a lot different then and almost every night I would stay after (sometimes long after). My teacher who was my mentor would leave and say, "Don't forget to lock up when you leave". Usually around 8PM when I realized I was the only one in the building, I would go home :P

My freshman year in high school was my first hands on a micro. Challenger IIP. With a 40x24 char display, 40 or less keys on the kb and 4k of RAM. The Apple ][c was reserved for the sophmore class but some of us freshmen were priveleged :)

That's enough about school except after graduation I attended a data processing class. IBM XT 8088, 64k (later upgraded to 128k to learn Visicalc)

Computers I owned were:

Challenger C24P
TRS-80
Atari 400
Atari 600XL
Atari 800XL - Still have it (they were the underdog but honestly, I love Atari's even to this day hehe)
Commodore 64
Used portable IBM XT - Looked like am old sewing machine case with a thyroid problem
HP 286
Built my own from that point on
AMD 486 DX/33
AMD K62+
AMD Athlon XP
AMD Athlon x2 250
AMD Phenom II X4 955 (which I'm typing this on)
qbworker

Post by qbworker »

anonymous1337: I don't like fiction too much though. I may start a firestorm if I say this, but I think it's kinda useless besides entertainment(and learning to write fiction! LOL). It doesn't give you much real life knowledge besides what the author thinks is interesting to dream about.
Lachie Dazdarian

Entertainment and day dreaming is not useless.

And there is a huge spectrum of fiction, from fast-food, hyper-produced useless fiction, to thought-provoking intelligent fiction, the one that can introduce new realizations in your life or be a comfort. Dostoyevsky wrote fiction. You got a problem with Dostoyevsky?

Anyway, the amount of mind-numbing and bad nonfiction is on par if not topping bad, pointless fiction.
rolliebollocks

Post by rolliebollocks »

Fictions create the world, facts (sadly) create fictions without valid ways of understanding the facts. Evidence can be misinterpreted, which is why the world still needs interpreters. This is what fiction teaches, the art of interpretation. It provides the careful student with a richer vision of the world around them.
Velatus

Post by Velatus »

I totally agree with that.
Lachie Dazdarian

Yeah, brilliant way to say it. Hopefully will be able to use that observation in a discussion.