Off Topic / Religion -> Bible chat rooms? [Closed]

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
roook_ph

Post by roook_ph »

There are a lot of religion or cults out there Scientology , for example attracts some Hollywood stars so naturally they attract followers . The main purpose of these evangelical entrepreneurs is to give something to hold on and possibly to attract some who are ignorant enough to know what religion is. Eponasoft this is not the right forum . We are mostly procrastinating old men here wasting our time in programming games on what is promised to be a better qb an 80's type of basic dialect.
marcov

Post by marcov »

dodicat wrote:
marcov wrote: In that sense they are the same as the Greek concept of "Daemon" (wood spirit, performing maintenance on the landscape, much like lepricons in Celtic mythology). Because these local spirits vilified to a Demon. These local spirits were relative

This process actually produced a verb, to demonize something.
@marcov
The lepricon is not a Demon.
At most he is mischievous.

Exactly, so were daemons, which I meant. Daemons in Greek mythology were woodspirits that painted the leaves brown in fall, and green in, spring etc. Most were ok, some were a little bit petty. They usually shunned people.

But as local deities they were too hard to exterminate remnants of the old religion, so they were literally demonized (hence the word) by Christianity.

From this Unix still carries the word Daemon (for what is Service in Windows), after these spirits that do their work invisibly in the background
marcov

Post by marcov »

rolliebollocks wrote:
There is no actual evidence that the Canaanites ever sacrificed living infants to Ba'al. In a specialized oven known known as a tophet the bodies of infants were discovered, and the Bible makes specific mention of infant sacrifice. But we don't really know that the infants were alive when they died, and not just cremated. There is debate concerning this.
I know, from the Phoenicians (which is afaik the same group as the Canaanites, main capital IIRC Tyre in what is now Libanon), and then specially the Carthagenian branch, historians are also slowly stepping back from that picture. (including the classic myth that the 20 meter high Baal stature in Carthago at the end of the 4th Punic war was red-hot with human sacrifices), when the Roman's came in.

I'm not so deep into the biblical events, but am somewhat deep into Roman history, and indeed that picture is considered a perfect example by historians of the fact that victors write the history. It is probably no different in the Canaan theatre.

But aw, my mind hurts. This (the Roman fixation) is so long ago. Currently I more focus on times directly following the Roman era, and more locally oriented.
agamemnus

Post by agamemnus »

The Canaanites were not the same as the Phoenicians... they were several hundred years apart, for one. Canaan was the ancient area of modern Israel and modern Jordan, while the Phoenician civilization developed only in the area of modern Jordan, with the southern half becoming the land of Israel.

The Phoenicians did get their roots from Canaanite civilization, though, since their base was located in Jordan and Tyre. The Phoenicians spread to various ports around the Mediterranean (and beyond), most of which later became known as the Carthaginian civilization.
Eponasoft

Post by Eponasoft »

vdecampo wrote:Speak for your own religion please.
I don't have a religion. And I've studied all major religions of the world, plus many minor and obscure ones. Furthermore, I said "most", not all. Go back and read it again.
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

Eponasoft wrote:
vdecampo wrote:Speak for your own religion please.
I don't have a religion. And I've studied all major religions of the world, plus many minor and obscure ones. Furthermore, I said "most", not all. Go back and read it again.
I don't care that you said most and I don't care what you've studied. If you did not specifically exempt Christianity then you are offending me. Get off your high horse thinking your beliefs are better than MOST other people's beliefs.

-Vince
roook_ph

Post by roook_ph »

Satanists are not afraid of sex, they are not afraid of their own bodies.
I heard these lines all the time from smut magazine publishers to sexy stars.
Only morons buy these kind of lines nowadays .
rolliebollocks

Post by rolliebollocks »

Let's all take a breather, now.
rolliebollocks

Post by rolliebollocks »

Ok. On some pragmatic level, there is a gigantic psychological difference from LaVey's Satanism to Christianity. In Christianity, the sense of a center, is also a limit. It exists externally to the individual, it is consider the origin of everything, it is consider the ultimate authority, it is consider the source of truth, it is the creator of the word itsef, and of meaning. In Satanism, by contrast, this center, which is in some ways cast-out of a Christian center, is assumed to be the creative intellect, which is a portion of greater a psychological makeup.

The principle in both cases governs: creation, the assigning of value, and Satanism in both a mythical and a literal sense assigns the practioner the capacity to assume the role of God, while simultaneously eradicating the psychic boundaries that prevent it from being full realized: ie guilt, fear, etc...

It then rewarps the creative-meaning-assigning power to desire. In ethics-based religions, desire is considered a servant of reason, providing inspiration, desires that are considered taboo are restrained. In Satanism, nothing is taboo not even taboo, maybe you could argue ethics based belief structures are taboo.

Anyway, I think that's an interesting difference.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

Lucifer fell as an Angel, and then got bombarded in a closed system.

Code: Select all

#include "fbgfx.bi"

Type vector3d
    As Single x,y,z

End Type

Type plane
    As vector3d v1,v2,v3
End Type

Type line3d
    As vector3d v1,v2
    End Type
#define vct type<vector3d>
#define ln type<line3d>
#define pl type<plane>
#define cross <>
#define dot *
operator + (v1 As vector3d,v2 As vector3d) As vector3d
Return Type<vector3d>(v1.x+v2.x,v1.y+v2.y,v1.z+v2.z)
End operator

operator -(v1 As vector3d,v2 As vector3d) As vector3d
Return Type<vector3d>(v1.x-v2.x,v1.y-v2.y,v1.z-v2.z)
End operator
'______________ SCALARs and  products_______________________
operator * Overload (v1 As vector3d,v2 As vector3d) As Single
Return v1.x*v2.x+v1.y*v2.y+v1.z*v2.z
End operator
operator * Overload (f As Single,v1 As vector3d) As vector3d
Return Type<vector3d>(f*v1.x,f*v1.y,f*v1.z)
End operator
operator * Overload (v1 As vector3d,f As Single) As vector3d
Return Type<vector3d>(f*v1.x,f*v1.y,f*v1.z)
End operator
'________________END SCALERS _________________

operator <>(v1 As vector3d,v2 As vector3d) As vector3d 'cross
Return Type<vector3d>(v1.y*v2.z-v2.y*v1.z,-(v1.x*v2.z-v2.x*v1.z),v1.x*v2.y-v2.x*v1.y)
End operator

Function length(v As vector3d) As Single
    Return Sqr(v.x*v.x+v.y*v.y+v.z*v.z)
End Function

Function normalize(v As vector3d) As vector3d
    Dim n As Single=length(v)
    If n<>0 Then
    Return Type<vector3d>(v.x/n,v.y/n,v.z/n)
    End If
    End Function

Function r(first As Single, last As Single) As Single
    Function = Rnd * (last - first) + first
End Function

Function isleft(L As line3d,p As vector3d) As Double  
    Return -Sgn(  (L.v1.x-L.v2.x)*(p.y-L.v2.y) - (p.x-L.v2.x)*(L.v1.y-L.v2.y))
End Function
Function planedistance(v3 As PLANE,p As vector3d) As Single
    Dim As vector3d pv=p-v3.v1 
    Dim As vector3d vp1,vp2,unitcross
    vp1=v3.v1-v3.v2  
    vp2=v3.v2-v3.v3
    unitcross=normalize(vp1 cross vp2)
    Return unitcross dot pv
End Function

Function drop_perpendicular(p As vector3d,L2 As line3d) As vector3d
     Dim As Double M1,M2,C1,C2
    Dim As vector3d pt
    M2=(L2.v2.y-L2.v1.y)/(L2.v2.x-L2.v1.x)
    M1=-1/M2
    C1=p.y-M1*p.x
    C2=(L2.v1.y*L2.v2.x-L2.v1.x*L2.v2.y)/(L2.v2.x-L2.v1.x)
    pt.x=(C2-C1)/(M1-M2)
    pt.y=(M1*C2-M2*C1)/(M1-M2)
    Return pt
End Function

Sub face(temp1 As Integer,temp2 As Integer)
    Static k As Integer=1
    Static z As Single
    Dim As Uinteger a=200
z=z+.02*k
Circle (temp1,temp2),50,Rgba(255,128,128,a),,,,f
Circle (temp1-20,temp2-20),10,Rgba(200,200,200,a),,,,f
Circle (temp1+20,temp2-20),10,Rgba(200,200,200,a),,,,f
Circle (temp1-20-5*z,temp2-20),3,Rgba(00,00,200,a),,,,f
Circle (temp1+20-5*z,temp2-20),3,Rgba(00,00,200,a),,,,f
Circle (temp1,temp2),30,Rgba(0,0,0,a),4,5.5
Circle (temp1,temp2-2),30,Rgba(0,0,0,a),4-k/3,5.5+k/3
Circle (temp1,temp2),51,Rgba(0,0,10,a)
If z>1.1 Then k=-k
If z<-1.1 Then k=-k
If z>2*3.1412 Then z=0
End Sub

Dim Shared As Integer xres,yres
Screen 19,32,1,fb.GFX_ALPHA_PRIMITIVES
Screeninfo xres,yres
Dim As Integer n=2
Dim As vector3d b(1 To n),u(1 To n)
Dim As vector3d vl1,vl2,vl3
vL1=vct(0,yres/3,0):vL2=vct(xres/2.5,yres,0):vl3=vct(0,yres/3,100)
Dim Shared As line3d line1,line2
Dim Shared As plane plane1,plane2
line1=ln(vL1,vL2)
plane1=pl(vl1,vl2,vl3)
vL1=vct(xres,yres/3,0):vL2=vct(xres-xres/2.5,yres,0):vl3=vct(xres,yres/3,100)
line2=ln(vL1,vL2)
plane2=pl(vl1,vl2,vl3)

Sub balls(n As Integer,rad As Single)
    Static runflag As Byte
        Static As vector3d b()
        Redim Preserve b(1 To n)
        Static As vector3d u()
        Redim Preserve u(1 To n)
        Static As Uinteger col()
        Redim Preserve col(1 To n)
        Static As Single sp()
        Redim Preserve sp(1 To n)
        Static As Single k()
        Redim Preserve k(1 To n)
        Static As vector3d startpos()
        Redim Preserve startpos(1 To n)
        Static As Single _rad()
        Redim Preserve _rad(1 To n)
If runflag=0 Then
For x As Integer=1 To n
    b(x)=vct(r(0,xres),0,0)
    _rad(x)=rad
    sp(x)=1
    k(x)=1
    col(x)=Rgb(00,200,00)
    startpos(x)=vct(r(0,xres),0,0)
Next x   
    runflag=1
End If
Dim As vector3d impulse,p2

#macro sides()

For z2 As Integer=1 To n

If planedistance(plane1,b(z2))<_rad(z2) Then     
    p2=drop_perpendicular(b(z2),line1)

impulse=normalize(b(z2)-p2)
    If isleft(line1,b(z2))<0 Then
    u(z2)=u(z2)+impulse
Else
    u(z2)=u(z2)-impulse
    End If
    sp(z2)=length(u(z2))
    u(z2)=normalize(u(z2))
    k(z2)=0
    startpos(z2)=b(z2)
    End If 

If -planedistance(plane2,b(z2))<rad Then     
    p2=drop_perpendicular(b(z2),line2)
    impulse=normalize(b(z2)-p2)
    If -isleft(line2,b(z2))<0 Then
    u(z2)=u(z2)+impulse
Else
    u(z2)=u(z2)-impulse
    End If
    sp(z2)=length(u(z2))
    u(z2)=normalize(u(z2))
    k(z2)=0
    startpos(z2)=b(z2)
End If 

If b(z2).y>yres-rad Then
    If (b(z2).x>line1.v2.x) And (b(z2).x<line2.v2.x)  Then 
    For x As Integer=2 To 5
     If z2 Mod x  Then 
         Select Case col(z2)
         Case Rgb(0,200,0)
         col(z2)=Rgb(200,0,0)
         Exit Select
     Case Rgb(200,0,0)
         col(z2)=Rgb(0,0,200)
         Exit Select
     Case Rgb(0,0,200)
         col(z2)=Rgb(200,200,0)
         Exit Select
     Case Rgb(200,200,0)
         col(z2)=Rgb(0,200,200)
         Exit Select
     Case Rgb(0,200,200)
         col(z2)=Rgb(0,200,0)
         Exit Select
         End Select
    k(z2)=0
    startpos(z2).y=-5
    startpos(z2).x=r(0,xres)

If b(z2).x >xres/2 Then
    'u(z2).x=-5
    u(z2).x=-20*(b(z2).x-xres/2)/(xres/2)
Else
    'u(z2).x=5
    u(z2).x=-20*(2*b(z2).x/xres)+20
    End If
End If
Next x
Else
   impulse=vct(0,-1,0)
    u(z2)=u(z2)+impulse
    sp(z2)=length(u(z2))
    u(z2)=normalize(u(z2))
    k(z2)=0
    startpos(z2)=b(z2) 
    End If
    End If   

If b(z2).x<rad Then
    u(z2)=u(z2)+vct(1,0,0)
    k(z2)=0
    startpos(z2)=b(z2)
End If
If b(z2).x>xres-rad Then
    u(z2)=u(z2)+vct(-1,0,0)
    k(z2)=0
    startpos(z2)=b(z2)
End If
If b(z2).y<rad Then
    u(z2)=u(z2)+vct(0,1,0)
    k(z2)=0
    startpos(z2)=b(z2)
End If

Next z2

#endmacro

#macro ball_to_ball()
For xx As Integer=1 To n
    For yy As Integer=1 To n
        If xx<>yy Then
            If length(b(xx)-b(yy))<=_rad(xx)+_rad(yy) Then
                impulse=normalize(b(xx)-b(yy))
              u(xx)=u(xx)+impulse
                u(yy)=u(yy)-impulse
                sp(xx)=length(u(xx))
                sp(yy)=length(u(yy))
               u(xx)= normalize(u(xx)):u(yy)=normalize(u(yy))
               k(xx)=0:k(yy)=0:startpos(xx)=b(xx):startpos(yy)=b(yy)
            End If
        End If
    Next yy
Next xx
#endmacro
Dim As vector3d c
    sides()
    ball_to_ball()
    For z As Integer=1 To n
        k(z)=k(z)+1
        b(z)=startpos(z)+k(z)*sp(z)*u(z)
        b(z).y=b(z).y+.5*k(z)*k(z)
        c.x=c.x+b(z).x:c.y=c.y+b(z).y
    Circle(b(z).x,b(z).y),rad,col(z),,,,f
Next z
c.x=c.x/n:c.y=c.y/n
_rad(n)=50
b(n).x=c.x:b(n).y=c.y:col(n)=Rgba(0,0,0,0)
face(c.x,c.y)
    End Sub

Do
    Screenlock
    Cls
    balls(200,10)
    Screenunlock
    Sleep 1,1
    Loop Until Inkey=Chr(27)
Sleep
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

rolliebollocks wrote: Let's all take a breather, now.
Let's just not do this in the first place. This is not the place, not the appropriate venue for the discussion of personal belief systems. This forum is for, purposed for the support of freeBASIC. Nothing more. Any topic that strays from this is - superfluous, and ultimately unsupportable (we may have two part-time Mods).

If one chooses to express their personal belief systems, especially in an unsuitable environment, then they must be prepared to encounter contrary opinions:

@vdecampo

Your use of the term MOST offends the larger world outside of you. MOST people are not Christians. Your belief in bronze-age mythology may be of plurality in your country, a majority in your country, but that doesn't mean that your beliefs have any more validity than any other personal belief systemZ.

I suggest that you are insecure in/with your beliefs, else you wouldn't find such emotional need to defend them (you are not being threatened here, pick your battles). You are not unique in this insecurity or response.

-----

I'm an atheist. I believe in one less god than you do. This is not a belief system, rather - I don't f-ing care as long as you don't try to impose your personal mythology upon me. It scares the hell out of me that you cherry-pick science, that you choose fantasy over fact to explain what you don't understand, but I'm ok with this as long as you don't impose upon me.

=====

There is a religious test here, USA, in the political system. Not one sanctioned by law - by/in the constitution - but it exists. This is not rational.

@dodicat
I appreciate your approach to life. And your coding skills. Kudoes, Ozzie (obscure ref to novels by Peter F. Hamilton).

Heh.
joseywales72

Post by joseywales72 »

Really people, let's cool down. If the tone does not soften, people will begin to label each other as [a believer of some system or not] and will see them as not individuals but a part of some sect.
We all love to program, so we are more rational than the average. Let's behave rationally and do not make others upset.
Also, everyone, please do not get offended very easily. This is an incendiary topic but I, for one, am enjoying it, because it gives insight to many different people's belief systems.
Just my thoughts and sorry for possible mistakes.
Anil
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

I'm an atheist. I believe in one less god than you do. This is not a belief system, rather - I don't f-ing care as long as you don't try to impose your personal mythology upon me. It scares the hell out of me that you cherry-pick science, that you choose fantasy over fact to explain what you don't understand, but I'm ok with this as long as you don't impose upon me.
Really? What science do I cherry pick? When in this thread did I ever advocate my beliefs over anyone else's? It is you and others who have the snappy "one less God than you" lines, and the "You choose fantasy over fact" bull$hit that keep pushing their ideology on others.

And don't act like when atheist's say MOST they are not including the major Judeo-Christian religions.

Stop explaining your beliefs in terms of what you think are the failings of other people's beliefs.

-Vince
Eponasoft

Post by Eponasoft »

I can write in boldface too! :)

@vdecampo: keep in mind that most atheists are former religious people. They simply found a better way to live their lives... one free of dogmatic fear, and one that embraces logic and reasoning as opposed to non-verifiable myths and legends. So yeah... you could say that their beliefs are better than those of religious people... or at least for them, since they found a better way to live.

By the way, Judeo-Christian is an insult to Jewish people. You've just offended them. Oh, and you offended me by insinuating that I hold my beliefs higher than others.

@roook_ph: The First Lady said something similar a few weeks ago. No one bought it, right? :)
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

Eponasoft wrote:@vdecampo: keep in mind that most atheists are former religious people. They simply found a better way to live their lives...
Good for you...and them. I did not say anything with regards to your beliefs.
Eponasoft wrote:one free of dogmatic fear, and one that embraces logic and reasoning as opposed to non-verifiable myths and legends. So yeah... you could say that their beliefs are better than those of religious people... or at least for them, since they found a better way to live.
That is the definition of faith, belief in the absence of proof. The New Testament is made up largely of testimony of the apostles of Jesus. As verifiable as a 2000 year old account of events can be. My Christian faith is based on only one tenant....

God, manifested in human form, offered himself as the perfect sacrifice (because he was not conceived in sin) and took upon himself the sins of Man, in order to create a conduit that Man may rejoin with God.

No longer does Man need to sacrifice bulls or goats, or offer incense or any other earthly sacrifice. All that is required is to truly repent of sin and accept Jesus as your savior.

These are my beliefs and I don't force them on anyone.

-Vince