For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
roook_ph

Postby roook_ph » Feb 03, 2011 11:26

putting a creepy cartoon character would hurt my eyes I'm sorry , The way it is right now is better you read the texts then go. No need for uploading photos on my slow connection
TJF

Re: Toronto airport limo

Postby TJF » Feb 03, 2011 13:30

@h4tt3n:

mian iqbal1 wrote:I have been looking looking around for this kind of information.
Thank you, I like it

This kind of Noops I had in mind.

h4tt3n wrote:Hardly anyone runs 800 by 600 screen resolution today.

For good readability text-lines should not have more than 70 characters. So a width of 800 pixel should be sufficient (it may be different for images).
marcov

Postby marcov » Feb 03, 2011 15:11

TJF wrote:@h4tt3n:

mian iqbal1 wrote:I have been looking looking around for this kind of information.
Thank you, I like it

This kind of Noops I had in mind.

At the FPC/Lazarus forum we already have several bots that register yahoo and gmail adress, do a few of such posts, and then a few weeks later update their profiles with signature spam (which @*$@$)*$ PHPBB then retroactively applies to all posts of such user)

An atypical forum package is a blessing.

h4tt3n wrote:Hardly anyone runs 800 by 600 screen resolution today.

For good readability text-lines should not have more than 70 characters. So a width of 800 pixel should be sufficient (it may be different for images).

Which, btw is why newpapers and magazines have columns since before computers existed instead of using text over the full width
relsoft

Postby relsoft » Feb 04, 2011 3:25

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:It's interesting to note that despite the disabled evil avatars that corrupt our children and destructive private messages that compromise our faith in God, we had a fair share of fights, rants, bickering and banning in the forum.

Well said. I second that.

It's not the forum, its the people that use this forum.

I vote for avatars and signatures.
bfuller

Postby bfuller » Feb 04, 2011 5:55

There is one small annoyance for me----the search facility needs usernames of 3 or more characters. For instance, try a search for posts by Oz----it will say none when Oz has been a big contributor over time (check the profile and you will see how many posts). "Show all posts" won't work for 2 or less either. Maybe a workaround would be to limit user names to three or more characters, but won't solve the past restriction on Oz for example.
pestery

Postby pestery » Feb 04, 2011 9:33

With regard to avatars, would it be possible to make them optional. I mean have an option in the user settings that can enable or disable the showing of other peoples avatars (good for people with slow internet connections), as well as of course letting the user decide whether or not at have their own avatar. Just an idea.

As for the look of the forum generally. I like it how is it, simple, easy to read and quick to load. The search engine could maybe do with an upgrade (when searching for specific posts within the forum I sometimes use google instead of the forum search engine).
TJF

Postby TJF » Feb 04, 2011 10:48

pestery wrote:... I sometimes use google instead of the forum search engine).

Me too!

We may collect some hints on how to improve the forums 'Search' in a separate topic? I opened it here:

http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151874#151874
djsfantasi

Postby djsfantasi » Feb 04, 2011 21:08

Whatever is decided, the ability to go to the first unread post would be useful...
anonymous1337

Postby anonymous1337 » Feb 05, 2011 5:22

I still want off-topic...
h4tt3n

Postby h4tt3n » Feb 05, 2011 8:41

TJF wrote:This kind of Noops I had in mind.

Grrr, they're spambots, not noobs. phpBB offers a number of plugins to reduce these (bots, not noobs :-D )

Okay, after giving this second thoughts I see your point. Very wide forums, which also use small fonts are a pestilence to read. A small increase in width wouldn't hurt, though, and it would make posting pictures easier.

Still, I don't see why we can't have pm's and an off-topic forum. Also I see no harm in the go-to-unread-posts functionality, which are asked for by others.

Cheers,
Mike
TJF

Postby TJF » Feb 05, 2011 9:34

Code: Select all

#DEFINE Noops bots

Sorry!
h4tt3n

Postby h4tt3n » Feb 05, 2011 9:40

Ah, I see. Apparently I'm not down with the newest progging lingo, or something. When talking about noobs (with a "b" in it) I mean real, live people who visit the forume due to a genuine interest in programming :-)
Prime Productions

Postby Prime Productions » Feb 11, 2011 18:04

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:It's interesting to note that despite the disabled evil avatars that corrupt our children and destructive private messages that compromise our faith in God, we had a fair share of fights, rants, bickering and banning in the forum.

It all depends on what the avatar is, but I think that mods would remove certain kinds. If it is some silly cartoon character, I dont think necessarily that it is morally destructive. (I am a Christian, btw)

Still, without avatars the forum does retain a very professional look. I think there are good arguments both ways actually. Avatars can link someone's name to a picture, making them easier to remember who they are, what here skills are, etc, so you can better know who to ask for help etc.

And I actually agree with Lachie on the fights thing. Even without avatars, we certainly seem to have people who come and complain about the project and attack members. It really is the person reading the forum not the avatars that is the problem.

Then again, like mentioned, keeping a professional look may attract more serious developers, than if we make it look like a bunch of gamers or kids who code ;)
Lachie Dazdarian

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Feb 11, 2011 23:47

Why the professional look? I have enough of professional crap at my workplace. Are we trying to sell something?
KristopherWindsor

Postby KristopherWindsor » Feb 12, 2011 0:26

Enough avatars for you?

Return to “Community Discussion”