For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
N3trunn3r

Postby N3trunn3r » Feb 02, 2011 8:08

Well I wonder, why don't we have avatars in this forum? It is kind of hard to remember the people here. For me this forum is really cool but it feels like a collective mind, like a Borg cube. A lack of art.

Though this is just my opinion...
KristopherWindsor

Postby KristopherWindsor » Feb 02, 2011 9:02

Well, that's how it is. We also don't have an off-topic forum anymore, or private messages.
Lachie Dazdarian

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Feb 02, 2011 14:17

Yeah, it sucks.

j/k

:P
Landeel

Postby Landeel » Feb 02, 2011 14:58

This is a very serious forum. :P
badmrbox

Postby badmrbox » Feb 02, 2011 14:59

We are FBorg. Resistance is futile.
h4tt3n

Postby h4tt3n » Feb 02, 2011 15:58

badmrbox wrote:We are FBorg. Resistance is futile.

Ha ha, good one :-)

No, joke aside I think n3trunn3r has a point. The forum hasn't been updated visually in years, and as mentioned it lacks PM's, off-topic forums, avatars, and perhaps a few other things considered standard on a community forum of today.

In my opinion, it wouldn't harm to give the forum a makeover. Not that it doesn't work as it is - I just have a feeling that the somewhat dated look will lead first-time visitors to suspect that FB is just abandonware which is kept alive by a small group of geek enthusiasts.

I'd like to have a cool forum for a cool programming language!

Cheers,
Mike
vdecampo

Postby vdecampo » Feb 02, 2011 16:17

h4tt3n wrote:
badmrbox wrote:We are FBorg. Resistance is futile.

Ha ha, good one :-)

No, joke aside I think n3trunn3r has a point. The forum hasn't been updated visually in years, and as mentioned it lacks PM's, off-topic forums, avatars, and perhaps a few other things considered standard on a community forum of today.

In my opinion, it wouldn't harm to give the forum a makeover. Not that it doesn't work as it is - I just have a feeling that the somewhat dated look will lead first-time visitors to suspect that FB is just abandonware which is kept alive by a small group of geek enthusiasts.

I'd like to have a cool forum for a cool programming language!

Cheers,
Mike

I disagree. I find the utilitarian-ness of the forum to be less distracting and easier to navigate. All that other fluff just serves to turn the forum into a social networking site, and there are already plenty of those.

IMO

-Vince
TJF

Postby TJF » Feb 02, 2011 18:25

I agree with Vince:

rather I'd like to see high quality posts than extravagant layout expenses. Too much 'Larifari' will attract Noops.
aurelVZAB

Postby aurelVZAB » Feb 02, 2011 18:27

In some point i can agree with Vince for example
look into thinBasic forum - it looks like mumbo-jumbo comercial
presentation TV program with whole bunch of propaganda ...
it looks totaly unfocused and confusing.
FB dont need that site ... but
on the other side current forum looks to old
For me something like normal PHPbb or normal SMF will work far better
like any other programming forum...
just my opinion...
vdecampo

Postby vdecampo » Feb 02, 2011 18:49

TJF
Ich hatte die Definition von Larifari erhalten

Hehe...Hope I didn't butcher the language!
N3trunn3r

Postby N3trunn3r » Feb 02, 2011 19:27

Yea I agree to that! We don't need another internet circus.

And just said "avatar" not "pink" or "signature".
As said I find it a bit hard to associate the code/posts to a person and go in my mind "Oh this guy although wrote this code here..."

Maybe we can have black & white(/forum color) avatars? >:)
Lachie Dazdarian

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Feb 03, 2011 6:24

It's interesting to note that despite the disabled evil avatars that corrupt our children and destructive private messages that compromise our faith in God, we had a fair share of fights, rants, bickering and banning in the forum.
h4tt3n

Postby h4tt3n » Feb 03, 2011 7:45

Oh, come on guys! You know I want this forum to become a rainbow-coloured circus with banners and flashing adds just as little as you do.
I like the simple "nuts & bolts" setup without distracting fluff, but that doesn't mean you can't freshen up the visual side of the site every few years. Imho the lack of change in a community forum over time signals stagnation, which makes newcomers turn around in the door and leave. According to a Google Trend search on "Freebasic" we'll need more fresh recruits sooner or later. (Yes, TJF, we need more noobs, not fewer.)

All this aside, I'm still missing a few things on the pure functional side of the forum. Why can't we have PM's, for instance? All forums have those. And why the low forum width? Hardly anyone runs 800 by 600 screen resolution today.

Cheers guys,
Mike
TJF

Postby TJF » Feb 03, 2011 8:36

h4tt3n wrote:(Yes, TJF, we need more noobs, not fewer.)

I agree that it's good to have newcomer questions at the forum. The answers from the forum members give some more hints, additional to the documentation.

Do we get more newcomers asking questions by adding avatars and other graphics? I think no. High trafic rates only attracts spamers and from my point of view we have enough spam right now.

h4tt3n wrote:All this aside, I'm still missing a few things on the pure functional side of the forum. Why can't we have PM's, for instance? All forums have those. And why the low forum width? Hardly anyone runs 800 by 600 screen resolution today.

Cheers guys,
Mike

I'm also missing some things here. Ie up to now I couldn't figure out how to list all the posts of the last 3 days, sorted by topic. When it's time for improvements, I rather like to have better technical features than graphics.
Landeel

Postby Landeel » Feb 03, 2011 10:20

anyone runs 800 by 600 screen

I know someone heheh

Well, I agree both avatars and PMs would'n hurt.

Return to “Community Discussion”