Linux forum name is probably too restrictive...

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
cha0s
Site Admin

Linux forum name is probably too restrictive...

Post by cha0s »

I stickied segin's post about his FreeBSD build, but I don't think Community Discussion is the right place for it.

I'm thinking the Linux forum should be renamed. My thought would be something like 'Unix flavors' or something.

Yeah, I realize that a future Mac port would require opening a Mac forum, even though it's technically a Unix flavor. :P Let's just think for now... anyone got a thought/name suggestion?

Thanks.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Maybe something general like “Open Source” ?
duke4e

Post by duke4e »

*nix
cha0s
Site Admin

Post by cha0s »

duke4e wrote:*nix
Like.
fsw

Post by fsw »

Why not have a BSD subforum?

If Linux & BSD share the same forum people using BSD are going to wade through tons of Linux topics until they find something related to BSD (or they have to add "BSD" inside their search).

I see no problem in having:

DOS
LINUX
WINDOWS
BSD
OSX
HAIKU

subforums.

My reasoning with this is that BSD problems/bugs/weirdness can differ from the LINUX problems/bugs/weirdness...
Sebastian

Post by Sebastian »

At the moment I would prefer to rename the existing Linux subforum just as duke4e suggested.

But as BSD derivates might become a popular plattform for running FreeBASIC in future, a BSD subforum might be a sensible idea then.
But I don't think that a FB+Haiku subforum actually is required. Is anybody here really using that? ^^
Landeel

Post by Landeel »

I see no problem in sharing the Linux/*nix forum with BSD, but I think OSX is a very different creature, and should have its own.
cha0s
Site Admin

Post by cha0s »

Hmm good points yeah. There are a lot of similarities in the platforms, but I'm sure lots of quirks that really only happen either-or.

It may be best to start with *nix, and then adapt if that becomes too unwieldy?
fsw

Post by fsw »

Sebastian wrote:...But I don't think that a FB+Haiku subforum actually is required. Is anybody here really using that? ^^
HAIKU was just a placeholder for future ports of FreeBASIC; because I suspect (hope) that as soon the C emitter is ready for general consumption some may try to port it to other operating systems or hardware.

Wouldn't it be something...
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

Free *Nix or Freenix? - from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix-like