Is QB Express already dead?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Galeon

Is QB Express already dead?

Post by Galeon »

I found those articles interesting, I'm currently creating a compilation of all articles...
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

The current hold up on QBE 30 is me.
I need to get my editing work to Pete. Thanks for this post to remind me. I am sending it to him now. After that, it is in Pete's court.
h4tt3n

Post by h4tt3n »

Cool, I did wonder alot what happened to QBE. Nice to hear things are moving (since I've got an article in there somewhere X-D )
nkk_kan

Post by nkk_kan »

It's too good to die :(
You guys need to dish it out sooner and on time :P
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

nkk_kan wrote:It's too good to die :(
You guys need to dish it out sooner and on time :P
I agree, but the last few issues have been hampered by time constraints on my and Pete's part. The way that contributors can help out is by adding some HTML formatting to their articles before sending it in. As it is, we have to format the article so it looks right on the magazine. Then we have to TRY to spell check it and grammar check it.

Then we have to put the whole thing together in one big HTML file.

It is a very time consuming process.
technoweasel

Post by technoweasel »

please don't let QBE die!!! I think that it is a great resource and must be saved at all costs!
Galeon

Post by Galeon »

I enjoyed reading them. I also want to contribute an article, but I still haven't started.
Can't wait for it!
Galeon

Post by Galeon »

technoweasel

Post by technoweasel »

I sent a zip file with a submission to qbexpress@gmail.com or something like that, and I sent a message to pete berg, but I haven't received a reply yet.

Imortis, what is editing like? Do you mean just like English and stuff like that? I'm often offline, but if you want I could try to help with checking grammar and spelling, etc.
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

technoweasel wrote:Imortis, what is editing like? Do you mean just like English and stuff like that? I'm often offline, but if you want I could try to help with checking grammar and spelling, etc.
That is part of it. The other part is inserting the HTML tags required to make the articles display on the magazine the way they are supposed to.
Gods and Idols

Post by Gods and Idols »

It's hard to send "news" when by the time the magazine comes out it's 3-4 months old.

Have you considered getting some more people to work on it?
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

I believe Pete has. It's not my call to make. I think there was a post about it on Pete's QB site forum.
Gods and Idols

Post by Gods and Idols »

Imortis wrote:I believe Pete has. It's not my call to make. I think there was a post about it on Pete's QB site forum.
Only thing I could find was http://www.petesqbsite.com/forum/viewto ... ht=express
Which more confirms the: "QB Express" is dying theory

The last issue was out in September 2008, that's 10 months ago.

I say either get more people in on it so Pete doesn't have to do everything.
Or just let it die.

Having a magazine request news, then not post them for almost a year is useless.
Sad as it is to see QBExpress go, this waiting 10 months for a new issue that will contain articles and news long since outdated feels a bit silly.

Is there even any point in sending in articles or news?

To quote Pete in the above linked topic:
Pete, Thu May 28, 2009 wrote:I'm hoping to release that long lost issue of QB Express in the next week or so.
Note the date.

Get more people on it or stop pretending it'll be out "Next week" ad-infinitum.
I get that you don't have the time to work on it, hand it off to someone else or just kill it.

This half-dead state is not productive or beneficial for anyone.
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

Post this over at Pete's QB Site.
technoweasel

Post by technoweasel »

hand it off to someone else or just kill it
Yes, hand it off, but DON'T KILL IT!!!