Mac FB?

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Christopher408

Mac FB?

Postby Christopher408 » May 20, 2009 12:18

Hi,
I remember reading somewhere about a mac version of FB that someone was working on. Is that still going?
Mentat

Postby Mentat » May 20, 2009 13:08

So far as I know, no.

But I did a little bit of reading. It would require some work, but I did find this page on porting assembly code (url) from Windows to Mac.
Pottersson

Postby Pottersson » May 21, 2009 1:10

I'd think that, in theory, a Mac port should come from the Linux version, you know, considering the *NIX they both share. But I am by no means an expert. I wonder, though, if I could get a simple Hello World program compiled for Linux to run...
Mentat

Postby Mentat » May 21, 2009 1:29

If I knew where to start, I would try to work on a port. The use of Apple's developer tools could prove very useful to FB program debugging on OS X.
Galeon

Postby Galeon » May 21, 2009 2:32

it seems that none in the developers wants to port fb to mac, none of them have a mac. the only way they have seen it can be ported is to convert fb to c then compile it with gcc of mac. none wants to do this because it will disappoint "BASIC Purists".
even if i don't have mac, i would be happy to see that fb available to all platforms
marcov

Postby marcov » May 21, 2009 8:37

Galeon wrote:it seems that none in the developers wants to port fb to mac, none of them have a mac. the only way they have seen it can be ported is to convert fb to c then compile it with gcc of mac. none wants to do this because it will disappoint "BASIC Purists".

You can't accuse me of being a Basic purist, but I feel the same way.

BASIC is all about easy use, and I fear that pulling in gcc (and its umpteen helpers, makefile generators and other Unix cruft) will permeate even more into FB.

Postby 1000101 » May 21, 2009 10:20

Galeon wrote:it seems that none in the developers wants to port fb to mac,
Inaccurate. It's not a lack of desire but means.

Galeon wrote:none of them have a mac.
Accurate. It's hard to dev a system you don't have.

Galeon wrote:the only way they have seen it can be ported is to convert fb to c then compile it with gcc of mac.
As I understand, the C emiter is coming along reasonably well. Soon this will be possible.

Galeon wrote:none wants to do this because it will disappoint "BASIC Purists".
Inaccurate, see above. Also, the "BASIC Purists" don't use fb anyway, it's already too "impure." Those that do claim to be "BASIC Purists" and use fb are hypocrite douchebags (claiming to be a "BASIC Purist" just makes you douchebag, using fb is just hypocracy).

Galeon wrote:even if i don't have mac, i would be happy to see that fb available to all platforms
Agreed. I can't wait for the C emitter so we can get all the gcc optimizations.
VonGodric

Postby VonGodric » May 21, 2009 14:23

I will probably get a mac for myself soon. And I could give access over the terminal to the devs so they could use my machine over the net to port FB. Anyone interested?
Mentat

Postby Mentat » May 21, 2009 14:48

I have an Intel based Mac, if one is needed right now.
fantastic

Postby fantastic » Oct 26, 2009 23:29

Any progress on this? more and more of my friends are switching to Macs. I'm contemplating doing it too. There appears to be a strong swing against Windows (I wonder why :-) So, it would be nice to get a port of FB to work on a Mac.
jcfuller

Postby jcfuller » Oct 27, 2009 10:13

Mentat wrote:I have an Intel based Mac, if one is needed right now.

If you're looking for a basic language to play with right now you might want to give this a try. (form link at the bottom of the page).

http://www.basic-converter.org/

James
Eponasoft

Postby Eponasoft » Oct 27, 2009 13:21

I said it on another forum and got the admin all Π$/- off, but I'll say it here too...BaCon is lame. It requires that you have a specific shell on your system (Korn or Bash). That is the epitome of suck. if not for that one little detail (details are EVERYTHING), then this would most likely rule.
jcfuller

Postby jcfuller » Oct 27, 2009 13:35

Eponasoft wrote:I said it on another forum and got the admin all Π$/- off, but I'll say it here too...BaCon is lame. It requires that you have a specific shell on your system (Korn or Bash). That is the epitome of suck. if not for that one little detail (details are EVERYTHING), then this would most likely rule.

I know NOTHING about mac's but "Lame" and "Suck" for an experimental endeavour seems a bit harsh to me. I take it from your response neither is OS X default?
Works fine for me on ubu 32/64. And far as I know it's the only basic implementation (non-interpreters) that will produce 64bit binaries?
James
Eponasoft

Postby Eponasoft » Oct 27, 2009 20:01

i don't use OS X so I have no idea, but it's certainly not default here. It would have been much less foolish to just make it an ordinary application than to go the "l33t h4x0r" route and make it in shell script. Not everyone uses bash, and even fewer use korn. I don't know about the poor Mac users though...can anyone verify?

Regardless, one "little" detail like this can completely ruin an otherwise awesome product.
jcfuller

Postby jcfuller » Oct 27, 2009 20:26

Eponasoft,
just out of curiosity what distro and shell do you use?

James

Return to “Community Discussion”