FreeBasic in GCC?

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
John Spikowski

Postby John Spikowski » Feb 03, 2009 23:28

TheMG wrote:How is the windows version different?

I'll assume you asking what is different between Windows and Linux versions of FreeBASIC.

The biggest difference is that FBWin has a rich API / GUI to work with that the Linux version doesn't. I think the one source concept for all platforms has merit. (and a big time saver)

Disclaimer:

This is only one programmers opinion for the type of programs I write and may not be the best solution for all.

I'm interested to see if the CrossOver Games edition would have any benefits to the gamers on this forum that would like to expand their reach.
vdecampo

Postby vdecampo » Feb 03, 2009 23:36

The biggest difference is that FBWin has a rich API / GUI to work with that the Linux version doesn't. I think the one source concept for all platforms has merit. (and a big time saver)

This has nothing to do with FB. The Linux and Windows versions have all the same native commands. What you are referring to are linkable libraries and APIs available for the Windows platform vs Linux. That difference is the same no matter which language you write in.

-Vince
Landeel

Postby Landeel » Feb 04, 2009 1:43

The Linux version is as functional as the Windows version. Except for:
-A few external libraries that are "Windows-only"
-A few user made libraries that have problems compiling on Linux (usually beacuse of minor issues like the case sensitive vs case insensitive thing or because of the "/" vs "\" thing).
marcov

Postby marcov » Feb 04, 2009 9:01

TheMG wrote:Unless even testing required speed increases only GCC can offer. Or new functionality (OOP) is introduced for GCC only.

Note that GCC having speed, and actually unlocking that are two different things. The C/C++ teams are huge.

And though others already have commented on Free Pascal not being GCC, it also doesn't use the binutils anymore for Windows platforms.
TheMG

Postby TheMG » Feb 04, 2009 16:10

vdecampo wrote:

This has nothing to do with FB. The Linux and Windows versions have all the same native commands. What you are referring to are linkable libraries and APIs available for the Windows platform vs Linux. That difference is the same no matter which language you write in.

-Vince

QFT.

@marcov:

That's why I said 'unless'. It's only valid in certain circumstances.
counting_pine
Site Admin

Postby counting_pine » Feb 04, 2009 18:57

John Spikowski wrote:It would be great if Matthew (counting_pine) would post what the goals for 1.0 are and finish the project that was started before doing a 180 at the 11th hour.

I am not the lead developer on this project, even if I am - at the moment - the only apparently-active one. A list of 1.0 goals has not been finalised, and I do not currently have the expertise to implement them. You'll have to have some patience.

I haven't done any work on the GCC emitter, but I am in favour of it, and I don't see how it is contradictory to any other of FB's goals.

- Matthew
McLovin

Postby McLovin » Feb 05, 2009 2:21

@counting_pine

You're doing an awesome job.
AGS

Postby AGS » Feb 06, 2009 7:21

McLovin wrote:@counting_pine

You're doing an awesome job.

I totally agree.
csde_rats

Postby csde_rats » Feb 06, 2009 13:58