Alternative Logo Set for FreeBASIC

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Conexion

Alternative Logo Set for FreeBASIC

Postby Conexion » Dec 17, 2008 4:28

As a part of the discussions with the people in ##Freebasic (irc.freenode.net), one of the ideas were to develop a fresher logo based on the old logo. I've shown a few different options to various members in the channel, and here is what we've currently got.

http://www.davidbradbury.us/permalink/logoset1.png

http://www.davidbradbury.us/permalink/logoset2.png

If you have any ideas or suggestions, please leave a comment. If you're happy with the current logo, please say that as well! If people are happy with the current logo, there is no need to change it, but if you do like this or have another idea, please say so!

In the mean time, I would also suggest checking out:
http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12781

AlexZ has made an excellent quality icon to go with the current FB logo. It really looks great compared to the default. Check it out!

edit: Also, check out the wiki to see it in action. Once again, this is just a test and if people are not fond of it, it will gladly be removed. :)

http://www.freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=FBWiki
Last edited by Conexion on Jan 05, 2009 1:51, edited 1 time in total.
Eponasoft

Postby Eponasoft » Dec 17, 2008 4:32

Give the horse a flaming mane!
attacke

Postby attacke » Dec 17, 2008 4:48

i like it just as it is. (the new logo that is)

it feels like a new logotype could be sweet.
Conexion

Postby Conexion » Dec 17, 2008 8:44

Eponasoft wrote:Give the horse a flaming mane!

Heh That'd be fun. Would be good to consider if people like it :)
jevans4949

Postby jevans4949 » Dec 17, 2008 12:18

Only improvement I could suggest is that it should say version 1.0 ...

Quite honestly, the logo doesn't bother me; the existing one, or any of those suggested, are equally good.
Conexion

Postby Conexion » Dec 17, 2008 19:08

jevans4949 wrote:Only improvement I could suggest is that it should say version 1.0 ...

Quite honestly, the logo doesn't bother me; the existing one, or any of those suggested, are equally good.

Heh, while it is appreciated, I think we both know switching to '1.0' is for another topic :D
DeadCat

Postby DeadCat » Dec 17, 2008 19:17

Honestly I hate to see abstarct things like computer languages be associated wit animals in any sense.. These have nothing in common. Quite childish, kindergarden.
Conexion

Postby Conexion » Dec 17, 2008 19:59

DeadCat wrote:Honestly I hate to see abstarct things like computer languages be associated wit animals in any sense.. These have nothing in common. Quite childish, kindergarden.

I'm not entirely sure why you believe Animals or their association to a computer language as childish (They're used all the time for logos, I promise). I based it on the original logo, and if you do have an alternative idea, please share it :)
DeadCat

Postby DeadCat » Dec 18, 2008 17:17

Conexion wrote:I based it on the original logo, and if you do have an alternative idea, please share it :)
No, no, did not mean to offend your work, iam sure it is great (although not seen yet); but generally I dislike all these animal logos symbolizing software. I do well know the psyhological effect intended, or better, where it originates from - an anachronism; but - never mind.
Eclipzer

Postby Eclipzer » Dec 27, 2008 6:14

I use this logo for my FB projects:

Gods and Idols

Postby Gods and Idols » Dec 27, 2008 6:32

Eclipzer wrote:I use this logo for my FB projects:

Haha, sexy!

---

Related note, an 88x31 link image would be nice.
I threw one together for http://www.godsandidols.com/ , but it's basically just a re-size job of Conexions image.
If anyone feel like making a proper smaller set of logos that'd be awesome IMO.
technoweasel

Postby technoweasel » Jan 05, 2009 0:40

What does a horse have to do with BASIC? But, what picture does represent a programming language? I think it will be hard to find something better than the horse, since nothing really says BASIC. Does C have a logo? VB has a logo, but it is just a colorful loop thing, like the office logo. Java has it easy! I think we should focus on the appealing qualities of FB, like its history, community, and ease of use. Maybe a hand tool or something would show BASIC's simplicity and reliability.
technoweasel

Postby technoweasel » Jan 05, 2009 0:41

By the way, the links in the original post just give me a "page not found" error.
Conexion

Postby Conexion » Jan 05, 2009 1:52

technoweasel wrote:By the way, the links in the original post just give me a "page not found" error.

Opps, sorry about that. Moved some images around on the server recently and missed that one. Fixed :)

edit: The horse is simply the logo for historical reasons. Sure we don't have to have it, but why not? From a symbolic perspective though, I do believe the horse represents power, and the simple typeface and design represents it being easy to use.

Also, on a side note, I really dislike the Java logo :P
Gods and Idols

Postby Gods and Idols » Jan 09, 2009 5:30

Gods and Idols wrote:Related note, an 88x31 link image would be nice.
I threw one together for http://www.godsandidols.com/ , but it's basically just a re-size job of Conexions image.
If anyone feel like making a proper smaller set of logos that'd be awesome IMO.
[Bump]

Return to “Community Discussion”