freebasic goals

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
bobh

freebasic goals

Postby bobh » Nov 13, 2008 23:15

Comments on the present status of FREE BASIC.
First, take some steps to reduce screen clutter, while providing increased information.
Example 1
In the list of keywords, add a single line at the top, ' for more information on keywords, see ://www.freebasic.net/keywords./KEYWORD' and arrange the wiki in this fashion. In the list of keywords (and error lists) , show the exact format required by that word. Delete the following line referring to the wiki.
Example 2
In qbc, it appears that it assumes in the first scan that any definition appearing twice without a intermediate clearing statement is an error. This may not be so, if a routine is locked or cleared after use. This is the source of many error messages in a program which runs O K in other versions. This test would appear to be more exact if placed in the run sequence.
Example 3
Why should a SELECT be necessary before each CASE statement in a CASE group?
Example 4
qbc appears to assume that a reference to a specific element of an array is a dimension statement.
Example 5
It would be helpful if the error message included an exact location marker.

Secondly, consider the purpose if BASIC programs. The original version was prepared for persons with no or little programming experience, specifically for students. This was done by using a number of predefined values which did not require a programing definer, by providing only a single method of accomplishing a task, an by making the program interpret each line as it was encountered, thereby making error correction simple, and some other 'doges'. The intent was that, as much as possible, thought could be devoted to the problem, rather than to the program to solve the problem.
BASIC was found to be useful in solving problems in engineering an physics, and many problems in general science. This, plus advances in the computer art caused changes in the program approach. At the same time, programming purists started to add requirements for greater flexibility and exactitude, such as type definitions, and routines to add flexibility, such as multiple ways of handling loop structures, and even requiring compiling before the problem could be solved. BASIC approached a general purpose computer language: unfortunately, in the process it became necessary to devote more and more attention to the program, detracting from the original intent of working on the problem.
The approach the qbc organization has been following is base on this general purpose use. This is valuable, and I would not want it thought that I am advocating change in this goal. However, I do advocate that there is a need for a version which adheres to the original concept; the changes allowed would be to use advances in computer hardware, especially in graphical present of data, very primitive originally.
I propose that the fbc organization add a second goal, that of selecting from the work done and in process a set of routines that match the original intent of BASIC; perhaps this could be called “basicBASIC”., since “true' has been preempted. In this some simplifications could be used: for example, due to the usual size of memory and drives, numeric variables could be predefined as double precision.
I commend this goal to your careful consideration.

EDIT by yetifoot to remove personal details.
phishguy

Postby phishguy » Nov 14, 2008 1:04

Huh? Are you really using Freebasic? What version?

1. Where is this document your referring to? The latest documentation link is in the stack at the top of the documentation subforum.

2. I don't understand. Do you mean when you compile with -lang qb?

3. Once again I don't understand. There is only one select case followed by the individual case statements.

4. Huh?

5. If you use an IDE such as FBIDE or FBEDIT it will show the exact location.
yetifoot

Postby yetifoot » Nov 14, 2008 1:28

I'm still reading and considering the post, but for now I removed your name/address/phone number from the bottom. It's not really a good idea to put all that info on the internet like you did in my opinion.
McLovin

Postby McLovin » Nov 14, 2008 2:24

I'm having a hard time understanding the post.... One thing that I am sure of is that I am not in favor of this comment:

"However, I do advocate that there is a need for a version which adheres to the original concept;... I propose that the fbc organization add a second goal, that of selecting from the work done and in process a set of routines that match the original intent of BASIC; perhaps this could be called “basicBASIC”.,

There is already lang -qb which as far as I would ever like to see the compiler go in the backwards direction. This is 2008, not 1968. Programming has come a long way in 40 years. :-)
darryl seamans

Postby darryl seamans » Nov 14, 2008 6:04

McLovin wrote:I'm having a hard time understanding the post.... One thing that I am sure of is that I am not in favor of this comment:

"However, I do advocate that there is a need for a version which adheres to the original concept;... I propose that the fbc organization add a second goal, that of selecting from the work done and in process a set of routines that match the original intent of BASIC; perhaps this could be called “basicBASIC”.,

There is already lang -qb which as far as I would ever like to see the compiler go in the backwards direction. This is 2008, not 1968. Programming has come a long way in 40 years. :-)

I would agree with McLovin wholeheartedly. It is not productive, IMHO, to create new code using old structures. lang -qb is there to provide a quick fix for code that is written the old way. New code should take advantage of the evolution of programming language design. Otherwise, we are putting new wine into old bottles.
KristopherWindsor

Postby KristopherWindsor » Nov 14, 2008 7:19

*Gasp!*
It's one of those posts...
We do not have a QBC compiler BTW.

Return to “Community Discussion”