Another Free BASIC Compiler

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
gedumer

Another Free BASIC Compiler

Post by gedumer »

We're all fond of FreeBasic, but has anyone checked out XBLite yet?

You can find it here: http://www.xblite.com/
Last edited by gedumer on Sep 17, 2008 22:31, edited 1 time in total.
Sslaxx

Hmm.

Post by Sslaxx »

No interest to me, as it's not cross platform.
notthecheatr

Post by notthecheatr »

Same here, and also because I like the FreeBASIC syntax a bit better.

http://www.shnetworks4.net/~asciiwor/pc ... liteprimer

Everything has to be all-caps? Eww. Have to type pointless junk like PROGRAM "somename" at the beginning of every program, where somename must be the exact same as the file name? Ugh. The fact that it's non-standard and not cross-platform makes it a pass for me.
quim

Post by quim »

Hi,

I programmed for some time in XBasic. It is still there, with a complete IDE. XBlite if the offspring of XBasic. XB (classic and lite) languages are not very difficult once you get used and there is a good documentation on XB and even more for xblite functions. I see there is many people does not like all these things about all-caps, suffixes and prefixes but in XB all this stuff is very coherent so it is not that bad (If you compare for example with perl) and actually it is helpful (actually, in other languages like Freebasic you have to remember that your variable is an integer or a float). So....

With XB I programmed GUI interfaces for other programs, a SUDOKU solver (do not recommend it except if you want to quit the vice:it trashes all the fun) and several other tools for work.

The problem is that XBasic was not being developped anymore. XBlite is actively developped. They have a lot of examples. But it only works on windows and uses the winAPI for GUI.

XBLite does not have an IDE in the style of Xbasic and all the code is shown in the editor (xbasic IDE separates the different functions, producing the feeling of working with different modules).

In Xbasic, practically all the boilerplate code for windows creation and program initialization is created automatically, so you only need to concentrate on coding your application.

When some weeks ago I was searching for a good Basic compiler I was comparing XBLite with Freebasic and at the end I choose Freebasic for some of the reasons I said above. Now a GUI builder for xblite is being developed that helps with the winAPI...

quim
notthecheatr

Post by notthecheatr »

Well, to each his own I guess. I've come to like FreeBASIC syntax, so any other BASIC variant I'd have a difficult time getting into. When it's time to learn another language, I look at non-BASIC languages. FreeBASIC is the only BASIC language I need to know :)
quim

Post by quim »

notthecheatr, agree 100%
marcov

Post by marcov »

notthecheatr wrote:Same here, and also because I like the FreeBASIC syntax a bit better.

http://www.shnetworks4.net/~asciiwor/pc ... liteprimer

Everything has to be all-caps? Eww. Have to type pointless junk like PROGRAM "somename" at the beginning of every program, where somename must be the exact same as the file name? Ugh. The fact that it's non-standard and not cross-platform makes it a pass for me.
Modula2 had it. It also has advantages! Twice as many one-letter variables!
angros47

Post by angros47 »

Like Freebasic, also the first version of XBasic compiler has been written in QB, then it became self-compiling.

So Xbasic could be considered ... a brother? a cousin? of freebasic. (but didn't have any C-written runtime, only XBASIC and ASM code)

It was multiplatform, too (windows and linux), even at GUI level (the reason of the "strange" and non-standard look of the GUI)

Finally, Xbasic IDE and compiler were integrated, and the source could be compiled and debugged in ram (like in the old QB) , without the need to save-and compile every time a single line is modified only to test a small change.

The bad things were:
- non-standard syntax
- it was always case sensitive (could be useful, but sometimes it's a pain)
- the usage of pointers/references was a real mess
- the SUB/FUNCTIONS were really weird: FUNCTIONs worked somehow like freebasic, while SUBS had to be called by GOSUB... aaaarghh! (and we complied when the syntax of RETURN has been changed a little...)
marcov

Post by marcov »

angros47 wrote: It was multiplatform, too (windows and linux), even at GUI level (the reason of the "strange" and non-standard look of the GUI)
Multiplatform is no excuse for non standard look. See e.g. Lazarus.
Finally, Xbasic IDE and compiler were integrated, and the source could be compiled and debugged in ram (like in the old QB) , without the need to save-and compile every time a single line is modified only to test a small change.
That's nice. Not that I think that "to ram" is that important, but it shows that it doesn't have a really heavy file and build system legacy.
The bad things were:
- non-standard syntax
- it was always case sensitive (could be useful, but sometimes it's a pain)
- the usage of pointers/references was a real mess
- the SUB/FUNCTIONS were really weird: FUNCTIONs worked somehow like freebasic, while SUBS had to be called by GOSUB... aaaarghh! (and we complied when the syntax of RETURN has been changed a little...)
Nice development system, bad dialect ? :-)
jevans4949

Post by jevans4949 »

Probably worth proposing to add it to the All Basic site (see other threads)
angros47

Post by angros47 »

Of course it should be added.

Have a look also to the old Envelop Visual Basic (a free, but not open source, clone of Visual Basic)
John Spikowski

Post by John Spikowski »

jevans4949 wrote:Probably worth proposing to add it to the All Basic site (see other threads)
Current Basic Lineup at All Basic.

Primary Basic Languages
  • ProvideX Business Basic
  • FreeBASIC
  • Gambas
  • REALbasic
  • ScriptBasic
  • VB Classic
Emerging Basic Languages
  • EBasic
  • HotBasic
  • PureBasic