searching members

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Stinktier

searching members

Postby Stinktier » Sep 09, 2008 12:38

Hi everybody,
I noticed this forum has quite a lot of members, which, even though most aspects of this site is kept pretty tidy, makes searching for a specific person a timewasting procedure.

For example, looking for people in the same region could be made a lot easier. As it is now, there isn't a standard wether to write town or country in the 'location' field, and in which order. having two fields for each one could be an alternative.

A 'last time online' function in the list would be pretty nice aswell.

...any comments about these ideas?
Last edited by Stinktier on Sep 09, 2008 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
vdecampo

Postby vdecampo » Sep 09, 2008 13:57

This goes back to the old argument of people being too lazy to fill out their profiles. I can't count the number of times I've clicked on a persons' profile and gotten a screen full of blanks!

-Vince
Stinktier

Postby Stinktier » Sep 09, 2008 16:02

That's a related problem, yes, but there's a difference between infrastructure and its users. Infrastructure can always be improved no matter what, because it is independent of its users in many ways. The users, on the other hand, are encouraged to behave in a certain way, depending on how the infrastructure is designed.

I'm no expert in this subject but that's what b f skinner is partly about: designing behaviour.
AGS

Postby AGS » Sep 09, 2008 18:13

Stinktier wrote:That's a related problem, yes, but there's a difference between infrastructure and its users. Infrastructure can always be improved no matter what, because it is independent of its users in many ways. The users, on the other hand, are encouraged to behave in a certain way, depending on how the infrastructure is designed.

How can the developers produce something called 'FreeBASIC' and then force you, by means of infrastructure, to fill out an entire profile? If I'd be forced to fill out the profile I would not join this forum.
vdecampo

Postby vdecampo » Sep 09, 2008 18:24

I myself am not a big advocate of forcing anyone to fill out their profile. I was just commenting on how frustrating it can be when you want to know if someone lives near you or has similar interests, and the profile is empty.

The profile is voluntary and should remain so.

IMHO

-Vince
notthecheatr

Postby notthecheatr » Sep 10, 2008 14:30

I would prefer people fill their profile out (and I filled my own out when I first joined), but I certainly wouldn't advocate that sort of force. It's a little bit much, anyways, particularly given that some people on the internet just don't want everyone in the world to know, for example, where they live. We're a free forum, after all.
Sisophon2001

Postby Sisophon2001 » Sep 10, 2008 15:00

The original post did not ask for people to fill out all the fields, he/she just asked for more tools to search for people in their own area who use FB. This is a reasonable request, but perhaps not an area the developers should be spending their time.

So if anybody wants to suggest any modifications to the source of the forum, I am sure it would be considered. I would just allow the full list to be downloaded.

Garvan
Mysoft

Postby Mysoft » Sep 10, 2008 21:03

yeah, but ofcourse one depend of the other... it can be done... but it will not work as expected wtih 20% of the profiles filled :P
Stinktier

Postby Stinktier » Sep 15, 2008 9:21

There's a pretty big difference between forcing and encouraging. in my second post, i actually meant the latter. Just to sort things out.
marcov

Postby marcov » Sep 15, 2008 9:47

Mysoft wrote:yeah, but ofcourse one depend of the other... it can be done... but it will not work as expected wtih 20% of the profiles filled :P

There is a simple solution that doesn't require forcing. Posts of people with incomplete profiles are marked with "beginner" or "newbie" or so.

IOW, continuous positive feedback to fill in the profile.
Stinktier

Postby Stinktier » Sep 16, 2008 6:50

marcov wrote:
There is a simple solution that doesn't require forcing. Posts of people with incomplete profiles are marked with "beginner" or "newbie" or so.

IOW, continuous positive feedback to fill in the profile.

Hm, it was some time ago since last time i used a certain studio/sound engineering forum, but i remember they had it like this.
It worked very well, i have to say.

edit:
And this doesn't leave out those who want to be anonymous.
Just hit space bar a couple of times in each field or write RNTU (rather not tell you) or whatever is suitable.
notthecheatr

Postby notthecheatr » Sep 16, 2008 20:49

marcov wrote:And this doesn't leave out those who want to be anonymous. Just hit space bar a couple of times in each field or write RNTU (rather not tell you) or whatever is suitable.

This I can agree with. Even "RNTU" is better than nothing. At least then I know someone bothered to actually fill something out, so I know they're an active member of the community and not just a troll (no offense to those active members who don't put anything in).
Last edited by notthecheatr on Sep 17, 2008 0:20, edited 1 time in total.
jofers

Postby jofers » Sep 16, 2008 22:09

I may be old and grumpy, but why not make a shout-out? I bet 75% of the members on this forum aren't active anyway. Just posting "who here is from madeupistan?" would catch the eye of anyone who is interested.
Lachie Dazdarian

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Sep 16, 2008 22:41

Shhh! I think the forum admins are too conservative for such hip and progressive things.
notthecheatr

Postby notthecheatr » Sep 17, 2008 0:21

Shhhhhh! I think I'm too hip and progressive for such conservative hogwash!

Return to “Community Discussion”