FBGD Retro 2008 Competition(closed; entries are being rated)

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

These games are incredible. : D

Motorcycle racing was fun, and the FPS looks wicked cool. Hope it comes up with an actual purpose so I can justify playing it some more. ; )
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Less than 4 days left! Time to start wrapping up your entries. You still have one full weekend ahead, so if you are skilled and experienced you can even manage to pack something from scratch. But, it's final time to start working.

I will consider extending the deadline if I receive 2-3 requests (depends on the predicted amount of finished entries that will be submitted) preferably not later than 20 o'clock GMT on Sunday from people who will email me their WIP (or post/posted them in forum threads earlier). I will not extend the deadline for people who will start working on Sunday.
Mentat

Post by Mentat »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Less than 4 days left! Time to start wrapping up your entries. You still have one full weekend ahead, so if you are skilled and experienced you can even manage to pack something from scratch. But, it's final time to start working.

I will consider extending the deadline if I receive 2-3 requests (depends on the predicted amount of finished entries that will be submitted) preferably not later than 20 o'clock GMT on Sunday from people who will email me their WIP (or post/posted them in forum threads earlier). I will not extend the deadline for people who will start working on Sunday.
So if you go 90% of c, do we get to have those extra 5 days?
deveah!

Post by deveah! »

God I'd like to participate on this - but school's coming and I'm not prepared - and I'd get my ass kicked anyway...
Lachie Dazdarian

I'm not sure where did you read 5 extra days, Mentant.

I'm looking closely at several cool entries being developed and I would hate for most of them to be left out while 2-3 extra days could change that. It all really depends on who will ask me to extend the deadline, meaning, will depend on their entries and their levels of completion. I won't extend the deadline for one person, that's for sure. To be honest, I would be most happy that all who started could finish their entries before monday 20:00 GMT, or at least pack them in playable games, where the final version can be released later.

I think this would be nice time for you to start reporting how close you are to completion of your entry and do you expect to complete it before the deadline.

Thanks.
notthecheatr

Post by notthecheatr »

Ugh, I have most stuff in place but I'm not sure I can have it finished tomorrow. I may have to just drop out though, I've got two essays to write for English plus a lot of assignments for Calculus to complete.

Well, if you do extend it I'll be happy but if not I understand (especially since it's my fault anyways).
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

I wouldn't mind an extension. Mine needs a few more things to be considered a real game and I have to work overtime this weekend. :\
Mentat

Post by Mentat »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:I'm not sure where did you read 5 extra days, Mentant.

I'm looking closely at several cool entries being developed and I would hate for most of them to be left out while 2-3 extra days could change that. It all really depends on who will ask me to extend the deadline, meaning, will depend on their entries and their levels of completion. I won't extend the deadline for one person, that's for sure. To be honest, I would be most happy that all who started could finish their entries before monday 20:00 GMT, or at least pack them in playable games, where the final version can be released later.

I think this would be nice time for you to start reporting how close you are to completion of your entry and do you expect to complete it before the deadline.

Thanks.
Time dilation. :P
LukeL

Post by LukeL »

Yes, pakkuman is alive! It should be done in time...
However something unexpected came up this weekend, and me being the way I am left a lot of stuff to the last minute :| so I'd like to request an extension.
Lachie Dazdarian

Like I said, I will need your WIP posted here or via email, together with the predicted extra time you'll to complete the entries. No sense in me extending the deadline for 2-3 days if it won't help anyone. I'm not motivated to extend it for another week, but that seems to be the most sensible thing. But like I said, I need valid reasons for this. Not your "Extension, please."

Also, let's decide on this before Sunday 20:00 GMT so that those who are ready to release their entry, but want to release it only few hours before the deadline can hold on on their entires if an extension happens.

Work with me.
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Well, I vote for a week. I need the extra time because of the massive work-load my industrial overlords have bestowed upon me. Thanks. :p
Lachie Dazdarian

The deadline has been extended to Sunday 21st, 18:00 GMT.

Why? Well, I want to give you one more week, but want also to be sure I'll be online to close the competition and list the entries few minutes after the deadline. During work days I can't guarantee that. Didn’t think of that before. You have the entire next Saturday to wrap up your entry and Sunday morning to submit it, if you live in…I don’t know…Los Angeles.

Be sure to submit your entries till that time, and I don't recommend waiting for the last minute. Power loses, connection problems, you never know. Be smart. :P
notthecheatr

Post by notthecheatr »

Damn you for extending the entry! Now I can't have any excuses to procrastinate on this =P
Mysoft

Post by Mysoft »

So... the competition is getting to the end...

but... for those who still wonder what can be done with a 80x60 screen plus 16 ega colors... i did some extra animation, as teaser...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dr4gk7 (1mb)

or another method (color interpolation)... this one requires accurate vsync... so if you run it in OpenGL mode activate vsync in your card...
the result is awesome especially in TV-OUT :P

[ur]http://www.sendspace.com/file/ck8crm[/url] (1.8mb)

it have 3 executables:
  • TeaserGDI.exe (using GDI as render)
    TeaserDX.exe (using DirectDraw as render)
    TeaserGL.exe (using GL as render)
Source Included ofcourse =)

Enjoy!

=)
Last edited by Mysoft on Sep 19, 2008 0:57, edited 1 time in total.
Mentat

Post by Mentat »

Almost done...