FBGD Retro 2008 Competition(closed; entries are being rated)

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Lachie Dazdarian

FBGD Retro 2008 Competition(closed; entries are being rated)

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Aug 28, 2008 20:36

FBGD Retro 2008 Competition

Competition rules:
    Create a game of any genre in FreeBASIC, in 640*480 graphics resolution.

The minimum graphics unit has to be an 8x8 pixels sized block or any bigger than that multiplied with 2 (16x16, 32x32), in order to emulate 80x60 resolution. This means that movement in the game has to be 8 pixels per cycle minimum, and all pixels need to be placed in the appropriate pseudo-resolution grid. In other words, first pseudo-pixel is located on 0,0 coordinate and ends on 7,7. All other pixels are placed respectively. No sliding of pixels between the grid positions is allowed. A pseudo-pixel with the size of 9x9 is outside of rules.

You don’t have to use the entire 640*480 screen, but this resolution needs to be initiated (so that the game could be played full screen on most PCs).

You are only allowed to use the colors from the default 16-colors EGA palette (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Graphics_Adapter#The_EGA_color_palette). You can use a 32-bit color depth mode, but nevertheless, you are only allowed to use the colors from that palette (use RGB to color the pixels if you want, no restrictions there).

You are allowed to load your sprites from any image file format, and they can be of any size. The image can be consisted of regular pixels and you can then later "blow-up" those pixel to the size of 8x8. The most important fact is that the sprites (inside the program) must be consisted of 8x8 pseudo-pixels, and that they will move in the game 8 pixels per cycle minimum, always remaining in the pseudo-resolution grid. The pseudo-pixels and sprites consisted of them can also be generated in the code. It doesn’t matter.

Pixels mustn’t be shaded or anti-aliased. 16-colors rule applies.

You can use any third-party lib wrapped for FreeBASIC.

You can use any sort of sound/music for you entry, but retro sound/music are prefered. No sound/music entries are also valid.

You must submit the source code together with your entry.

There are no code size/style restrictions. This is a game design competition.

There are no team size restrictions. Create your entry alone or with other people. I don't care.
This is a mock-up image of how an entry for this compo might look like:

The competition starts today on 28th August, 20:30 GMT (now!).

The competition ends on 21st September (Sunday), 18:00 GMT - extended.

All entries must be submitted before that date. Eventually extension of the deadline is possible, but not more than for another week.

Entries are submitted in the http://www.freebasic.net or http://games.freebasic.net competition threads, or via email to lachie13@yahoo.com.

The entries will be evaluated by me in a week following the final deadline and announced shortly. The gameplay, originality is exploiting the graphics limits, and consistent retro design will receive the highest marks. All entries will be reviewed and scored, and my decision will be elaborated.

The award will be a monthly feature of the winning entry at the FBGD main page and a possible graphics signature thingy. I’m sorry, I can’t offer more, but hopefully the competition rules are a motivation enough.

I encourage you to post your work in progress or plans in any form (just a sentence or two describing it is enough) before the final deadline to motivate other competitors.

I also suggest you visit the FBGD compo thread from time to time since some people decided to post their entries there: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=246.0
Last edited by Lachie Dazdarian on Sep 21, 2008 18:09, edited 5 times in total.
redcrab

Postby redcrab » Aug 28, 2008 23:58

nice concept .... close to CSGP ;) I've no patent on it ;)

I like the fact you are motivated to invite other to make max fun with a minimum !

If ican have time . I may try to attend ;)

anyway I support your idea !
counting_pine
Site Admin

Postby counting_pine » Aug 29, 2008 0:28

If it's any help, the 16-color EGA palette is used in Screen 12, and makes up the first 16 colors of the default 256-color palette.
You can see the palettes here:
http://www.freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.php ... efPalettes

With respect, I'd like to suggest this mock-up image instead:
http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... xorzg6.png
I got pedantic with the palette/pixel size. Thought it would be best to represent the style as closely as possible.
EDIT: Thanks. I'll textify my original link to save space.
Last edited by counting_pine on Aug 29, 2008 1:51, edited 1 time in total.
Lachie Dazdarian

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Aug 29, 2008 0:51

Suggestion accepted. Thanks.
LukeL

Postby LukeL » Aug 30, 2008 0:48

Here's another mockup idea that's sized correctly, not sure yet if I'm going to enter the comp.
See if you can guess what the game is!! :P

KristopherWindsor

Postby KristopherWindsor » Aug 30, 2008 0:51

It's "Three Nerds Playing with Dominoes Because They Are Locked in the Library." :D
Mysoft

Postby Mysoft » Aug 30, 2008 3:39

my soccer entry...
Mentat

Postby Mentat » Aug 30, 2008 20:47

Oh bloody gods, you're pics make my game look like paper football. How did you guys get done so fast? It's only been three days!

[edit]
Pic update: Main menu
Lachie Dazdarian

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Aug 30, 2008 20:56

Mysoft, that looks neat. Can I have a sneak peek version?

And Mentat, I don't think we know what you are working on. Willing to share yet?
Mentat

Postby Mentat » Aug 30, 2008 21:02

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Mysoft, that looks neat. Can I have a sneak peek version?

And Mentat, I don't think we know what you are working on. Willing to share yet?

A turn based strategy game. Kill the computer before it kills, based off a game I made on my calculator.

Each country has a slightly different game play, visibility, and artificial AI intelligence. The specific countries I chose randomly (sorry Canadians, y'all have to deal with a dot for a leaf)

At least in theory.
notthecheatr

Postby notthecheatr » Sep 02, 2008 18:28

My entry will actually be the first game I've ever made that is actually interesting. So if I finish this entry, congratulate me on making my first real game ever. And if I don't finish it, forgive me.

Considering that I just started this morning (rather than when it was first announced) I think I'm doing pretty well.

Here's a screenie, it's a fairly simple (so far) side-scrolling space shooter. I haven't gotten anything really exciting implemented yet (different types of enemies, enemy AI, particle effects from the player's gun, etc.) but it looks promising. Fun stuff, actually. Never thought I'd have so much fun doing this.

Link
Lachie Dazdarian

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Sep 02, 2008 21:31

Looks neat.

Things are cooking up! :)
Conexion

Postby Conexion » Sep 03, 2008 7:35

I currently have two rendering modes... I was wondering if I should keep both... what do you guys think?

Standard:
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9861/rightrespi6.gif

Gridded:
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/2438/templogofx4.png

Also, whatcha guys think so far? :P
Mentat

Postby Mentat » Sep 03, 2008 11:53

Come to think of it, this will be my first non pong game completed in FB.

@Conexion:
Way to go for making my game suck. :)
notthecheatr

Postby notthecheatr » Sep 03, 2008 15:53

Hmm, gridded looks nice. Different, but nice. I wonder if that would fall within the rules though... maybe Lachie would make an exception?

Return to “Community Discussion”