How can a Forum member resign?

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
robert

How can a Forum member resign?

Postby robert » May 19, 2008 0:36

What is the procedure for a Forum member to resign and have their name removed from the Memberlist?
KristopherWindsor

Postby KristopherWindsor » May 19, 2008 0:46

You could email one of the Admins, although they will probably see this thread.
How about we just rename you to "Anon000001?"
;-) :-P
Z!re

Re: How can a Forum member resign?

Postby Z!re » May 19, 2008 0:53

[Content removed at author's request]
counting_pine
Site Admin

Postby counting_pine » May 19, 2008 0:59

I think that's something only a moderator can do.
I think a sensible procedure might be to contact a moderator via e-mail, and request for your account to be removed.
They should e-mail you via your profile to confirm that you are who you say you are, and that you actually own the account you want removed. Then, your account can either be permanently banned, so it can't be used, or can be deleted. I think, in the latter case, it is possible to create a new account with the same name at a later date.
In either case you will be able to visit the forum as a guest at a later date, but will have no posting privileges without creating a new account.

It should be noted though, that simply walking away is easier, and accomplishes pretty much the same thing.
ciw1973

Postby ciw1973 » May 19, 2008 7:51

Have to admit that after yesterday's little forum skirmish, I've a somewhat different opinion of a few people around here myself.

I've certainly no plans to leave, but it definitely "feels" like a different place now.
Hexadecimal Dude!

Postby Hexadecimal Dude! » May 19, 2008 9:57

In context, it doesn't feel like a different place to me. I think that that "skirmish" was the inevitable outcome of a mixture of some alienated-feeling less bright community members with a couple of selfish idiots.

I'm sad that it happened, but I hope the air might be a little clearer now.

I hope that a change of ambiance isn't what caused robert to leave so extremely, that would be very sad indeed.

Maybe it's a chance to reflect on how useful we've been up to this point-- I'd like to think we've been very useful, but recently I'm wondering whether the caring culture which developed here is starting to fade, or at least, whether it has from the perspective of some users.

Oddly enough, I would have been quite interested to hear from robert why he left. (as long as it wasn't phrased in the terms used by DML)

Anywhoo, less lamentations, more action-- what can we do to improve?
Skyler

Postby Skyler » May 19, 2008 12:58

The key to a firestorm is to enjoy it while it lasts, and don't take anything you read therein seriously. I think.

Hopefully it blew off some pressure so the next one won't happen for a while.
Mentat

Postby Mentat » May 19, 2008 13:57

The situation was amusingly silly. I assume the older versions of FB are still roaming somewhere on the web, so what's wrong with using them? Or -lang deprecated|qb .

As Skyler said, chill, relax; and code away.
counting_pine
Site Admin

Postby counting_pine » May 19, 2008 16:40

I have removed robert's acccount from the forum. He didn't say why he wanted to leave, but he wishes the FB project continuing success.
notthecheatr

Postby notthecheatr » May 19, 2008 20:54

Whoa, looks like I missed something big. Probably best that I missed it, but I am rather curious - what happened?
Mentat

Postby Mentat » May 19, 2008 20:59

notthecheatr wrote:Whoa, looks like I missed something big. Probably best that I missed it, but I am rather curious - what happened?

Fireworks. Nothing too new really: New vs Old. QB vs FB, old FB vs new FB.
counting_pine
Site Admin

Postby counting_pine » May 19, 2008 21:03

Out of the blue, a user announced he was leaving the forum due to various problems with FB, e.g. FB being too much like C, type suffixes, etc, and it degenerated into a flame war. I locked the thread and later removed it.
Apparently by coincidence, two people have since requested to be removed from the forum. Neither have claimed to have any complaints about FB though.
Yeah, it's probably best that you missed the flamewar though.
Lachie Dazdarian

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » May 19, 2008 21:50

Some people really like to make a scene and put too much importance on frivolous things (being registered or not in a forum they really don’t post in). I don't have any good words for these "forum quitters" so I'll stop.
Z!re

Postby Z!re » May 22, 2008 3:02

[Content removed at author's request]
Hann3s

Postby Hann3s » Jul 04, 2008 15:54

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Some people really like to make a scene and put too much importance on frivolous things (being registered or not in a forum they really don’t post in).

If one can remove one's personal details (which can be done to a great extent on many discussion boards and on some entirely) and disable any e-mail notifications from a board, then from a logical point of view there is no reason to have your account deleted. But still, you sometimes just want to disappear from a forum entirely (especially if you were flamed multiple times ;-) ). I know deleting your account can seem illogical and complex things if the name is re-registered by someone else, but I really would like to nuke my account from a certain forum with a certain super troll (though I manage fine just forgetting about it).

EDIT: spelling mistakes

Return to “Community Discussion”