[offtopic] Really kool shooter made in MS Excel

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
relsoft

[offtopic] Really kool shooter made in MS Excel

Post by relsoft »

http://www.the2bears.com/?p=1296

I just tried it and it's legit guys. Man I still can't believe it's possible.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

Holy crap...
VonGodric

Post by VonGodric »

how the hell do I download it?
Hezad

Post by Hezad »

oO !!

impressive ...
ciw1973

Post by ciw1973 »

It's all just DirectX stuff with VBA as the scripting language.

It's impressive, but when it comes down to it, not that difficult to do.
Hezad

Post by Hezad »

It's all just DirectX stuff with VBA as the scripting language.

It's impressive, but when it comes down to it, not that difficult to do.
I didn't say it was difficult to do ^^ (Even if I couldn't code it) but the fact it has been coded with a language usually used for (i didn't say created for :) ) excel macros is .. uncommon :p
VonGodric

Post by VonGodric »

where is the link to the actual download? am I missing something? ...
h4tt3n

Post by h4tt3n »

link is dead...
maddogg6

Post by maddogg6 »

but the fact it has been coded with a language usually used for (i didn't say created for :) ) excel macros is
Excel macros are surely more popular, but VBA has grown and been used in things like - proprietary apps within outlook.

I seen a demo of Outlook 2003, where a business owner could do everything and never close outlook - payroll, inventory, order processing, project management, contact management etc..(all using other office controls of course, which meant you had to have Access, MSSQL, Project etc.. installed) .. VBA and office can be slick for sure.

I seen a breakout game in excel before too (bunch of them here: http://www.excelgames.org/breakout.asp) I doubt its directX tho - all graphics look like excel drawing shapes.
ciw1973

Post by ciw1973 »

In my day job I develop software for a financial services company.

There's a database front-end written in Delphi and there's some quick and dirty software to generate government forms as PDFs which was written in FreeBASIC, but most of the processing and reporting is done by an Excel Add-In which clocks in at around 21,000 lines of VBA code which I've written myself over the past two years.

The data all lives in SQL Server, but it also connects to and controls Outlook, Sage accounting, Word and several other applications we use, and it works like an absolute dream.

Whilst I certainly wasn't a fan before I started working on the project, I've now got a lot of time for VBA, as it's a simple but very effective language for gluing things together and automating apps in a Windows.

Edited: Hadn't realised just how big the code was now.
Last edited by ciw1973 on Feb 29, 2008 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
relsoft

Post by relsoft »

VonGodric wrote:where is the link to the actual download? am I missing something? ...
Linky:

http://www.vector.co.jp/download/file/w ... 48311.html
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

relsoft - this reminds me of your bullet hell library. You using it at all? I'd like to see other people using it :D
relsoft

Post by relsoft »

I've used it in Marvelous Twilight :*) And will use it on future game projects. As long as I can get off this lazy arse of mine that is.

Somehow this community does not really dig Danmaku (bullethell) games so that's probably the reason no one bothered to bat an eye onto it.
VonGodric

Post by VonGodric »

I suggest NOT to try this thing. I did and it didn't work - got "compilation error in module 1"

but aside from this my computery got VERY funny - slow and started failing. Couldn't even delete the "game" files...

using office 2007
relsoft

Post by relsoft »

Well, 5 of my friends have tried it on different computers(all with Office 2k7) and we didn't have problems.