The new Old Man

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
TheOldMan

The new Old Man

Post by TheOldMan »

I'm sorry to spam this forum, but i'm happy that i found this forum and this programming language. When I was a little bit younger(approximately 15 years) I programmed a lot of in the good old C64 basic, and I loved it...:) So when I get a copy of this FreeBasic thing the old memories flash back in my mind! This is great, what a powerful programming language:) So i decided I rewrite an old nice C64 game using this beautiful language (In few weeks for I have lots of work:( )

P.S.:
The moderators could delete this post, because it's worth nothing, but my spirit is very happy as I would be 20 year old again:)

Long life to the FreeBASIC community
notthecheatr

Post by notthecheatr »

Welcome to the community, we're always glad to have new people here. The language is growing, it's getting better. Some people who are used to the old BASIC get mad about all the new features and different syntax, but we here like the new things, how great FreeBASIC has become. Enjoy yourself, if you need any help with anything don't hesitate to ask (in either Beginners or General subforum, depending on the sort of question you're asking) and someone will likely help you.

Have fun!
KristopherWindsor

Post by KristopherWindsor »

That's OK; we get a lot of worthless posts these days. :-P
notthecheatr

Post by notthecheatr »

KristopherWindsor wrote:That's OK; we get a lot of worthless posts these days. :-P
That's true, nobody minds that much. For all our attempts to be professional, we are after all a community :)
AGS

Re: The new Old Man

Post by AGS »

TheOldMan wrote:I'm sorry to spam this forum, but i'm happy that i found this forum and this programming language. When I was a little bit younger(approximately 15 years) I programmed a lot of in the good old C64 basic, and I loved it...:) So when I get a copy of this FreeBasic thing the old memories flash back in my mind! This is great, what a powerful programming language:) So i decided I rewrite an old nice C64 game using this beautiful language (In few weeks for I have lots of work:( )

P.S.:
The moderators could delete this post, because it's worth nothing, but my spirit is very happy as I would be 20 year old again:)

Long life to the FreeBASIC community
C64 basic.... with line - numbering. Yes, I remember it well, oldtimer. Those were the days. C64 programs are still available on the web. Just download a C64 - emulator and you can enjoy that good old time again.

http://www.zzap64.co.uk/c64/c64emulators.html

I enjoyed programming on the C64. Playing around with sprites and all that kind of silly stuff. I was happily surprised to find that in 2007 people are still playing around with sprites and that sprites are still called sprites :) (some things never change).

The Old Ones shall rule once more :) ;)
dabooda

Post by dabooda »

Old School is the only School...IMO...

I rather poke a byte to a linear buffer than set up a triangle list any day. 256 colors of glory baby!!

DaBooda out...

P.S. I started on a tsr-80 too poor for a 64. Only my rich friends could afford those and they tolerated me spending numerous hours on theirs. Sigh, back when games had to actually rely on being fun to play, not just looking good.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Hmm... now, I'm only 24 years old, but I also got my start on our C64/128. Can I call myself an old timer, too? : )

Welcome aboard the FB forums!
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

Old Man, look at my life! I'm a lot like you.
I need someone every night to keep my company too.
Old Man, look in my eyes, and you'll see it's true.
Old Man, look at my life! I'm a lot like you.

Welcome.
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

Yeah, I'm approaching the big 40 and I got my start on the TRS-80 too! What I time to be in computers! When the original lunar lander and the like was born!

Cheers!
-Vince
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

My first computer was the Aquarius. Good times... Good times...
ciw1973

Post by ciw1973 »

The first machine I owned was a VIC20 back in '83, before moving onto the 64 then the Amiga.

That said, before getting the VIC, I used to play around on ZX80 & ZX81s owned by others, and of course, as I'm based in the UK, we had BBC machines at school.

They were the days, when you had complete control over the machine. When the challenge was trying to get the machine doing things it was either never designed to do, or that others said weren't possible. These days when you hit a limit, you just declare that to run your software requires a higher spec. graphics card, more RAM or disk space.

I guess that's why I still play around with Microchip PIC and Parallax Propeller microcontrollers a lot. Developing for something like the Propeller, with 8 x 32 bit cores, each running at 80Mhz and with simple composite video and VGA generation hardware in each core, plus 32K of shared RAM is very much like coding stuff on the 64 or Amiga, only with a lot more raw horsepower, and you get to configure the hardware any way you wish, which in itself just adds to the fun. It's weird to think that $13 of off the shelf chip can do all this.

I think it's a real shame that kids growing up today and getting into computers don't end up getting their hands dirty like we used to do. Yeah, they're exciting, and you can do a lot more with a modern PC than you ever could with the home computers of yesteryear, but there's not the same magic, and most can probably ignore the fundamentals that we grew up learning, and back then needed to know. Learning APIs is one thing, dealing directly with the hardware is another, and for me was a lot more exciting.
maddogg6

Post by maddogg6 »

First off - WELCOME!
Learning APIs is one thing, dealing directly with the hardware is another, and for me was a lot more exciting.
I pretty much agree - but for me, what excited me the most, was the 'potential' of the hardware - and that software was the laborous chore required to get the hardware to do anything. I try, but honestly, - the only FB projects I finish that I start are out of absolute necessity *blushes in embarrassment* . Im more of a 'find existing code that sorta does what I need, and hack it into submission' kind of guy..

I wish programming was more 'fun' for me - actually, I wish I could just hire a real programmer full time who would be capable of granting my every software wish (/dreaming). But them propeller chips sound yummy. I think I'll try some sometime. :D
bfuller

Post by bfuller »

I think I beat you all. I started with a "D2" kit computer, based on the Motorola 6800 chip with 128 BYTEs of RAM, a HEX keypad and 7 Segment display, 4 digits for memory address and 2 digits for data. From that I gradually built it up to include an ASCII keyboard, a (modified TV) monitor 16 lines by 64 characters I think, and 2k BYTE of RAM. On this configuration I ran a Micro BASIC Interpreter which took forever to load via Cassette tape....I eventually added another 16KB Dynamic RAM, and EPROM to hold a MINI BASIC....Now, THOSE WERE THE DAYS!!

I still have that computer somewhere in my shed--probably half corroded away by now.

I have been mucking around with computers ever since---but I must admit to preferring hardware interfacing--which is how I found FreeBasic, I was looking for a easy way to use an RS-232 port to drive a small PIC controller board.

For the record, I am nearly 54 now.
maddogg6

Post by maddogg6 »

I think I beat you all. I started with a "D2" kit computer,
Oh yeah, well I had to make my CPU from dicrete logic componants.. :p (seriously, I did make a 4 bit CPU this way in school)
bfuller wrote:I still have that computer somewhere in my shed--probably half corroded away by now.
heh - I have an old BASIC-52 board here, still works - communicate with it via FB too. I just wish the darn thing was smaller, for what it does its a monster compared to PIC's - but I like the built in interpreter.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Well, MY first PC was Amiga 500, the best ever. Period!

And since we are spaming already, TheOldMan I would appreciate if you would post your game in my forum too, http/games.freebasic.net/forum , that is when you complete it.

:)