When is freebasic 2.0?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
zelda64bit

When is freebasic 2.0?

Post by zelda64bit »

Hello. I had read in another forum that freebasic 2.0 was coming and I would like to know if that is true, I put a link to the other forum in case you want to see.

https://www.syntaxbomb.com/general-game ... g-language!/
marcov

Re: When is freebasic 2.0?

Post by marcov »

Why don't you ask Baggey? He said it ?
zelda64bit

Post by zelda64bit »

I asked him but he didn't answer me, and that's why I asked here. So a version 2.0 is not being prepared?
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

There is not even a roadmap for what needs to be completed for a 2.0. There is always a next version in the works as along as someone is working on it. The next version is 1.09. So no real plans for a 2.0 that I know of.
caseih

Post by caseih »

zelda64bit wrote:I asked him but he didn't answer me, and that's why I asked here. So a version 2.0 is not being prepared?
What does "version 2.0" even mean? The next version to be released will be 1.09. Maybe you could think of it as 2.0. :)

FreeBASIC is a mature compiler and language no unlike C. As such we expect things like bug fixes and minor feature improvements will be the main focus, not any sort of dramatic change of direction. FB is maintained by a very few number of gracious volunteers. They certainly are working on improvements which you can read about on this forum.

If there is to be a 2.0 release in the future, I imagine the move to a native FB runtime library might mark that version. That would make the entire FB source tree self-hosted, which would hopefully make it easier for other volunteers to come along and contribute if C code is no longer required.
zelda64bit

Post by zelda64bit »

Thanks for the clarification.

I have a question, with what language has freebasic been created?
fxm

Post by fxm »

FreeBASIC was first programmed in VB-DOS, with the goal of compiling itself.
caseih

Post by caseih »

And I believe the compiler itself is self-hosted. It's written in FB and compiled with fbc. Only the runtime requires a C compiler to build.
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

caseih wrote:And I believe the compiler itself is self-hosted. It's written in FB and compiled with fbc. Only the runtime requires a C compiler to build.
The Runtime library and the FBGFX library are both written in C.
zelda64bit

Post by zelda64bit »

Very interesting, I didn't know that visual basic existed for ms-dos.
caseih

Post by caseih »

VB-DOS came along right at the tail end of MS-DOS use when Windows 3 was hitting mainstream. At that time many DOS programs were adopting a Windows-like feel (with text-mode lines to emulate drawing buttons, etc), and VB-DOS briefly capitalized on that trend, allowing you to make dialog boxes, scrolling windows, etc, all using a programming work flow similarly to Visual Basic for Windows. I think the product was merged with Microsoft's professional BASIC compiler suite for DOS, PDS. Obviously it was a short-lived product. If you want to try it out you can get it from archive.org I believe.
fxm

Post by fxm »

QuickBasic 4.5 for DOS : 1988
QuickBasic 7.1 for DOS : 1999
Visual Basic 1.0 for Windows : mai 1991
Visual Basic 1.0 for DOS : september 1992
Visual Basic 2.0 for Windows : november 1992
Visual Basic 3.0 for Windows : summer 1993
Visual Basic 4.0 for Windows : august 1995
and so on .....
caseih

Post by caseih »

All three compilers, QB 4.5, PDS aka QBX 7.1, and VD-DOS can be found for nostalgia purposes at https://www.qbasic.net/en/qbasic-downlo ... mpiler.htm

The VB-DOS era kind of marks a golden age of MS-DOS programs. Fantastic text-based UIs that were fast, incredibly usable, and good-looking. WP DOS 6 was the pinnacle for me I think. To this day I don't think I've used an interface that was as nice: graphical point and click but also completely keyboard-able all at the same time. So fast and could take advantage of muscle memory.

In some ways those days live on in the widely used ncurses library and terminal apps on Linux.

Even more completely off topic, if you miss the good old text-mode console font from the days of MS-DOS, search for "Less Perfect DOS VGA ttf font." I use this in all my terminals and programming editors. Looks great on a 1080 screen, although if you had 4K you'd have to scale it.
zelda64bit

Post by zelda64bit »

Thank you all for the information, I find very interesting all these topics of the past.
j8w344c6

Post by j8w344c6 »

If it's not necessary please don't bump the version.