Observations.

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
speedfixer

Re: Observations.

Post by speedfixer »

The first post was toxic?
Does that mean that no one should ever criticize the moderators?

I like this forum, but a threat ("please moderate") over a mild criticism is pretty dogmatic and threatening to any free speech.

Next you call dodicat's perception 'haywire.'
Just as adeyblue called me 'confused.'
THOSE are toxic responses.

Name calling to ... justify your position? Deflect attention from the topic? Just say something to get a post in?
Why?

dodicat's comment wasn't kind. It wasn't my view of some of the activity, here. But it WAS an expression that something isn't quite right and *that* something greatly detracts from the casual pleasure many of us get by visiting, here.

I completely agree with that sentiment.

I had a lot of trouble when I first joined. fxm just didn't seem to want to hear anything I had to say if it didn't fit his formula for how things should be.

No denying: I made mistakes. I needed to learn.
He jumped on me with army boots multiple times. Not always in a kind or helpful way.
Part of it: he was overzealous in defending anything FB.

I called him out on it - many times. I got more patient - he got a little more understanding.
As I see it, he is VERY much better than he was for new people, now. Much more constructive; much less destructive.
He changed. I respect him greatly.

MrSwiss has shown this same behavior as long as I have been here.

NO
CHANGE

Albert made efforts. His problems were larger than he could deal with appropriately and that was obvious to anyone that read more than 5 of his
posts.

If MrSwiss made an effort, is was barely noticeable.
He earned his timeout.

david
bfuller

Post by bfuller »

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Getting offended by something on the internet/facebook/forums is like seeing dog droppings on the footpath and choosing to step in it rather than walking around it.

The great limitation with online discussions is that body language and facial expressions (which are very much part of face to face communication) is not present. It is easy to take offence when a comment meant in half jest gets taken seriously because the smirk on the others face is hidden. Often I see people making online comments that they would NEVER say face to face or in public, or if they did they would have very few friends left after a short period.

Cheer up please. Lets lighten the mood. I like this forum, even if I am only the occasional poster but generally a "lurker".
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

speedfixer wrote:Does that mean that no one should ever criticize the moderators?
Oh, come on — give me a break. I was highly critical of the moderation just before my short departure a few years back. I even called them “as weak as dishwater” and was decidedly rude to counting_pine; bit late in the day, but I apologize for that.
dodicat wrote:This lot of moderators are a hateful bunch
If that is your definition of a mild critism how do you define a harsh one?
speedfixer wrote:Next you call dodicat's perception 'haywire.'
Nobody else concurred — on the contrary.
I had a lot of trouble when I first joined. fxm just didn't seem to want to hear anything I had to say ...
I joined in Jan 2017 and did not experience that. I wondered what you meant when you wrote “Not even fxm.” earlier.
bfuller wrote:Cheer up please. Lets lighten the mood.
Excellent idea.

I have asked my pharmacist to distribute B12 to the whole forum. Under 50s carnivores probably don't need it. Image
speedfixer

Post by speedfixer »

We've had a multitude of observations and opinions expressed.
I think the field has been covered. Unless someone has another thought to post, I think it is to the moderators to consider whether anything of concern is of interest to them or not.

I don't have any more logs to throw on the fire.

I hope that any/all of the moderators are aware that we all do appreciate the work and efforts they put out for the FB community.
A differing opinion does not always mean a vote of no confidence.

david
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

I am off-topic here, but there is one particular statement above which bothered me.
srvaldez wrote:as for this forum, I find myself increasingly less motivated to post in this forum because there simply is no participation
I wonder how many others feel as srvaldez does. I do from time to time.

Are we talking apathy here? The enemy of apathy is enthusiasm. Perhaps srvaldez and myself have interests which do not encourage enthusiasm. Cryptography, including random numbers, certainly don't.

However, it may not be as simple as that and there may be something else at play. It could be that the language is so versatile that it lends itself to cover many subjects, causing them to be thinly spread. The common ground, of course, is the language itself, but it seems to me that is less talked about than it was when I joined. I look forward to newcomers asking questions because very often I am unable to answer them. Someone does and I learn something. Image
TeeEmCee wrote:but this is still a great forum and a great project and there are a lot of very interesting people here.
True when I joined, but I am not so sure today.

Perhaps we should have a topic to consider this.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

It has just occurred to me that talking about apathy in my last post may see very few, if any, responses. Image
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

deltarho[1859] wrote:...Perhaps srvaldez and myself have interests which do not encourage enthusiasm. Cryptography, including random numbers, certainly don't...
For what its worth, I have been interested in cryptography for a very long time. Your PRNG code is just a bit beyond my understanding. I have a hard time gathering the motivation to look at anything too complex for fun after doing it all day at work, so I am afraid I have not been able to put the effort in that I would like.

I also tend to lurk more often than not. So please do not take silence as lack of interest.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

deleted.
Last edited by BasicCoder2 on Oct 22, 2021 1:52, edited 1 time in total.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

@Imortis

Thanks for that.
I have been interested in cryptography for a very long time.
In which case you should like srvaldez's second link here in the opening post. It is a long video — just over an hour.
angros47

Post by angros47 »

bfuller wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Getting offended by something on the internet/facebook/forums is like seeing dog droppings on the footpath and choosing to step in it rather than walking around it.
If a dog owner lets their dog drop on the sidewalk, and don't pick it up and dispose it properly, I get a bit annoyed, even if I don't step on it. Because such rude behavior forces people to walk carefully to dodge the droppings. That's why dog owners who don't pick up the droppings are fined.

For that reason, I think people have full right to get offended by something on the internet, even if they are not directly harmed by it.
TeeEmCee

Post by TeeEmCee »

deltarho[1859] wrote:Perhaps srvaldez and myself have interests which do not encourage enthusiasm. Cryptography, including random numbers, certainly don't.
Maybe I don't spend enough time on these forums, but I thought you all love cryptography and random number generators since they seem to be some of the most popular topics! I certainly do anyway, I just don't have the time to spread myself any more thinly, sorry.

I notice it very strongly on various forums that they get less active as the users get older both due to less time (before hitting retirement!), and growing out of hyperactive online behaviour when you're really young (that certainly was me at age 14 on the internet...)
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

My concern was not the apparent lack of interest in srvaldez's or my posts. The apparent lack of interest in my posts has been discussed previously, and I get it. My concern was the seeming lack of participation as noted by srvaldez but that may heave been answered by myself and TeeEmCee so having a topic to consider this may be fruitless. There may not be an underlying problem, so a 'solution' will not exist. The diversity of subjects covered by members here is much greater than those covered at the PowerBASIC forum, for example.
aurelVZAB

Post by aurelVZAB »

well diversity ...
oh such a word...in simple words everyone of us have his own view
FB is not my primary programming lang, and for examples..well i don't have ideas
posting on other Basic forums is very very very low too, well on qb64 is little bit more activity
thinbasic is almost zero ,powerbasic..theo forum activity zero...i dont know for others...
in general such a topics are useless...
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Some time ago the PowerBASIC forum introduced a 'Like' button. If a post was liked, we simply clicked on it. So if a thread had few or no responses, the opening poster would less likely to be disheartened if there was a high 'like' count.

Some members thought it a good idea and some did not think it worthwhile. If memory serves, I don't think anyone thought it a bad idea. The button is still there, but it no longer works.

This forum software may not have a 'Like' option, but if it did, I think that it should be introduced.
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

I'd wish albert & Mr Swiss can come back one day, even though they might be banned again and again, even tough several weeks or months. I'd wish an account shall never be locked definitely.